USB Audio Player PRO (UAPP): 24- and 32-bit playback, ubiquitous USB audio support for Android
Jul 26, 2018 at 8:26 PM Post #1,696 of 6,201
Ill go out on a limb and say yes, Tidal does sound better through UAPP on a LG V20. Something to my ear is somewhat magical about the ESS 9218 sound quality. UAPP makes the best use of it.

Tidal did sound really bad originally, but with the changes to the way they handle output (Direct Mode) that happened around the time that the V30 MQA was supported, the V20 improved in general (for all content). According to ADB, TIdal and UAPP still use different methods to output (differing Flags used for Direct). Davy has stated his approach is more of a "hack". Whatever the difference UAPP, for the life of me, sounds better. Consequently Tidal sounds better though UAPP.

UAPP is vastly worse than Tidal when playing over iffy network connections including mobile data (not wifi). It must have different streaming/buffering approaches. But when playing back on a solid Wifi, I will use UAPP for sound quality alone.
Thanks for this, can I ask you if
Ill go out on a limb and say yes, Tidal does sound better through UAPP on a LG V20. Something to my ear is somewhat magical about the ESS 9218 sound quality. UAPP makes the best use of it.

Tidal did sound really bad originally, but with the changes to the way they handle output (Direct Mode) that happened around the time that the V30 MQA was supported, the V20 improved in general (for all content). According to ADB, TIdal and UAPP still use different methods to output (differing Flags used for Direct). Davy has stated his approach is more of a "hack". Whatever the difference UAPP, for the life of me, sounds better. Consequently Tidal sounds better though UAPP.

UAPP is vastly worse than Tidal when playing over iffy network connections including mobile data (not wifi). It must have different streaming/buffering approaches. But when playing back on a solid Wifi, I will use UAPP for sound quality alone.
Cool, have you tried any DACs than have improved the sound significantly?

Jul 26, 2018 at 8:46 PM Post #1,697 of 6,201
Thanks for this, can I ask you if

Cool, have you tried any DACs than have improved the sound significantly?

I have a $30K system, in it a $4000 DAC based on the top line ESS Pro DAC, and as much as it kinda pains me to say, the ES9218 sound quality bests it in many dimensions. Although there are aspects of the sound that can be improved upon with an system on a chip, there is some magic that can happen when everything is on the same wafer vs a bunch of components loosely connected with speaker wire and interconnects. On top of this AVC is used to its best effects. I sold my other headphone amps because of this thing, and now have 4 V20 just cause they are so cheap now for such good sound. I have not found anything remotely close for the money, or for any amount of $$$. It would be nice if it had MQA decode....but have to have something to look forward to eventually :)

Jul 26, 2018 at 9:49 PM Post #1,698 of 6,201
I also use uapp to play tidal content on a v20 and the sound is awsome. At one point in the future i will probably switch to v30 but for the moment it is more than enough. Many times i don't even bother to switch to ifi micro dac amp to drive the lcd2 and listen from my pc, i directly connect these headphones to v20 and i'm impressed by the output. They're the fazor version and are easy to drive, v20 cannot compete as amplifier with ifi but the sound quality and the power output is still enough and uapp does help a lot. So good job!

Jul 27, 2018 at 1:16 AM Post #1,699 of 6,201
I also use uapp to play tidal content on a v20 and the sound is awsome. At one point in the future i will probably switch to v30 but for the moment it is more than enough. Many times i don't even bother to switch to ifi micro dac amp to drive the lcd2 and listen from my pc, i directly connect these headphones to v20 and i'm impressed by the output. They're the fazor version and are easy to drive, v20 cannot compete as amplifier with ifi but the sound quality and the power output is still enough and uapp does help a lot. So good job!
Agreed, the SQ seems to have significantly improved recently, Tidal now sounds better than my ripped CD's via upnp, not tried locally stored files yet.

Jul 27, 2018 at 10:44 AM Post #1,700 of 6,201
I get a loud pop noise when I start the player app with a headphone connected
UAPP plays a second of silence on start, to turn the audio system on. You hear that it is actually being turned on.
Then when I stop playback or paused, I hear the same loud pop after a minute or 2
In 90 seconds the kernel level driver turns audio system power off.
i don't get this on iBasso's music player app
iBasso's player controls mute line. In DX150, it is done at the kernel driver level. It does not worth for Davy to implement so low level support on such devices. But you may try to turn "Auto mute" on in the Android's sound settings - it helps a bit.

The loudness of the pops when the power is turned on or off depends on headphones, gain, volume level. With iBasso IT03 and IT04 headphones I don't count them as a problem. YMMV, of course...

Sorry for jumping in :wink:

Jul 28, 2018 at 4:24 AM Post #1,701 of 6,201
Hey @Lurker0, Thanks, automute does help. It actually help too much that it also cuts off around a second at the beginning of each tracks.

I suppose the leng/duration can be shortened to mitigate this cut off

Jul 29, 2018 at 8:16 AM Post #1,708 of 6,201
Everytime I plug DAC in my phone I have to enable OTG under dev settings. Ok, but after 10 mins of inactivity OTG connectivity deactivates.
Is it possible to bypass this limitation? Can UAAP provide a workaround or at least a shortcut?

Jul 29, 2018 at 8:22 AM Post #1,709 of 6,201
Everytime I plug DAC in my phone I have to enable OTG under dev settings. Ok, but after 10 mins of inactivity OTG connectivity deactivates.
Is it possible to bypass this limitation? Can UAAP provide a workaround or at least a shortcut?

No, please contact the device's manufacturer (I assume it's OnePlus).

Jul 30, 2018 at 5:53 AM Post #1,710 of 6,201
Updated just yesterday, to find out that I can't delete folders with music from UAPP anymore! Any attempt to tap "three dots" menu at the right of a folder name just scrolls the list! But I do remember I was able to do it with one of the older versions... It's 4.5" 768x1280 screen of iBasso DX150, if it matters. I'm not sure which build exactly worked for me in the past.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back