USB Audio Player PRO (UAPP): 24- and 32-bit playback, ubiquitous USB audio support for Android
May 11, 2022 at 6:32 AM Post #5,446 of 6,188
If I use an íphone for playback from a given source, tidal, Spotify, Amazon unlimited etc. Do I still have to use UAPP? I'm finding UAPP extremely limiting. The tidal interface within UAPP is horrible. And for some reason I get adequate volume through my dragonfly red and hipdac only when using UAPP. If I close UAPP annd just go through my phone I can barely get it loud enough to hear it through external dac'c.

I've heard the iPhone is bit perfect and sends everything through as it received and I think I remember John Darko saying an iPhone is a solution to the Android UAPP problem, for what that's work, I'm not sure. I'm pretty new to all of this. I would really love to hear your thoughts and knowledge. I'm seriously considering switching to an iPhone but have used Android since forever. Thanks

May 11, 2022 at 7:02 AM Post #5,447 of 6,188
UAPP is Android only app, not iPhone as far as a knew.

Apple is bitperfect up to 24/48 with their adapter, without using another external DAC/AMP. Dragonfly will do up to 24/96 and MQA.

Dragonfly's can be weird with internal hardware volume control. Ensure internal volume is set high in UAPP before closing UAPP and using straight out of phone (if Android). UAPP app can actually change Dragonfly internal volume control (unless changed since I had the Red & Cobalt). Turn volume up in UAPP with no headphones plugged in, close down UAPP and see if you notice difference by then using the normal Android volume control.

What ear or headphones you using? What Android you using?

Last edited:
May 11, 2022 at 8:40 AM Post #5,448 of 6,188
I've heard the iPhone is bit perfect and sends everything through as it received and I think I remember John Darko saying an iPhone is a solution to the Android UAPP problem, for what that's work, I'm not sure. I'm pretty new to all of this.

Just to be clear, yes, iPhones/iPads pass through audio to external DACs without any sample rate conversion (so something like UAPP isn't needed). For the Dragonfly, up to 96 kHz and hip-dac, up to 384 kHz (which are the respective limits of these devices). I have both iPhone and iPad and they work well as audio sources. As @psikey said, an external DAC is needed for anything above 48 kHz.

As for Android vs iOS... that's a complicated subject... :wink:

May 11, 2022 at 9:05 AM Post #5,449 of 6,188
Just to be clear, yes, iPhones/iPads pass through audio to external DACs without any sample rate conversion (so something like UAPP isn't needed). For the Dragonfly, up to 96 kHz and hip-dac, up to 384 kHz (which are the respective limits of these devices). I have both iPhone and iPad and they work well as audio sources. As @psikey said, an external DAC is needed for anything above 48 kHz.

As for Android vs iOS... that's a complicated subject... :wink:
And this is one of best solutions ever for an iPhone 13 mini on the go ! Attaches via Apple MagSafe

Works flawlessly with Spotify, Tidal, Amazon HD, all bit perfect 🥰

16522742581943353454458419476731.jpg

Bit of amp background hiss with sensitive IEM's like my highly sensitive SE846 but only really noticeable between tracks.

Last edited:
May 11, 2022 at 10:11 AM Post #5,450 of 6,188
Thanks for all the help. I appreciate it. As far as headphones. I jump around from the HD598, HD6xx, Sundara, Meze 99 Noir. Probably listen most to the Sundaras and the HD598. I'm saving up for something that will hopefully make me go "WOW" when I put them on. What that is, I'm not sure. So many reviews and even with consensus it's hard to know. The Sundaras are all the rage to everyone it seems. To me there good. Slightly better than good for $350. And I guess given the price points of my headphones I can't expect to be WOWD.

May 11, 2022 at 11:07 AM Post #5,451 of 6,188
Thanks for all the help. I appreciate it. As far as headphones. I jump around from the HD598, HD6xx, Sundara, Meze 99 Noir. Probably listen most to the Sundaras and the HD598. I'm saving up for something that will hopefully make me go "WOW" when I put them on. What that is, I'm not sure. So many reviews and even with consensus it's hard to know. The Sundaras are all the rage to everyone it seems. To me there good. Slightly better than good for $350. And I guess given the price points of my headphones I can't expect to be WOWD.
Look into the Grado SR325X maybe. I find them really wow, esp. for $295!

I am with you it’s a stupidly convoluted quest this bitperfect thing, and yet it’s very important. An iOS device with the Khadas Tea is an elegant solution indeed. I jump between my Android phone and iPad all day and it’s seamless. If anything I am drawn to the iOS UX more.

May 11, 2022 at 11:53 AM Post #5,452 of 6,188
Don't go on "price is best" and we all like different music characteristics and you get different synergy between headphone and source, some don't work so well together.

I have some older K10U IEMs (10BA per side) that rrp was about £1500 (I bought used) but I recently got some FD7 with single Beryllium Dynamic Driver with rrp at £550 (again, bought used) and at moment they are my favourite on all my sources and super comfy too.

Can't comment on Headphones as don't use these days, just IEMs.

Last edited:
May 11, 2022 at 6:35 PM Post #5,453 of 6,188
Sorry for the very “trivial” question... is there any way to sort the albums/compositions by how many times they have been listened to?
thanks!

May 11, 2022 at 8:49 PM Post #5,454 of 6,188
Sorry for the very “trivial” question... is there any way to sort the albums/compositions by how many times they have been listened to?
thanks!

In the Library view, there's a Recent tab.
If you scroll down the Recent tab, there's a section of Most Played Tracks.
But, I don't see an actual count.

May 23, 2022 at 11:13 AM Post #5,456 of 6,188
@ DBaldock9

maybe, you've informations about BlackBerry Classic and Onkyo HF Player - or USB Audio Player Pro?

Because, i have BB Classic, i can run only older versions - because of BB's Android support to max. 4.3

BB Classic has OTG support - therefore, i tried out a lot: read and burn on DVD-RAM (FAT 32) ect. ect.

Everything work's fine - exept the "Onkyo DAC HA-200"
Both: Onkyo HF Player and the USB Audio Player Pro - can't find / see the DAC...
Maybe, this is, because of not native Android on BlackBerry Classic (OS: BB 10.3.3.xxxx)

Regards

May 23, 2022 at 12:42 PM Post #5,458 of 6,188
Is it best to have bit perfect mode on or off?
It's a preference. I have mine locked at 'On'.
But if you use any altering feature (like EQ) it needs to be turned off.

May 23, 2022 at 8:01 PM Post #5,459 of 6,188
@ DBaldock9

maybe, you've informations about BlackBerry Classic and Onkyo HF Player - or USB Audio Player Pro?

Because, i have BB Classic, i can run only older versions - because of BB's Android support to max. 4.3

BB Classic has OTG support - therefore, i tried out a lot: read and burn on DVD-RAM (FAT 32) ect. ect.

Everything work's fine - exept the "Onkyo DAC HA-200"
Both: Onkyo HF Player and the USB Audio Player Pro - can't find / see the DAC...
Maybe, this is, because of not native Android on BlackBerry Classic (OS: BB 10.3.3.xxxx)

Regards

I haven't worked with BlackBerry devices myself.
It looks like the DAC-HA200 is supposed to work with Android 4.1 and newer.
Have you tried any other USB DACs with the same OTG cable on your BlackBerry device - or tried other OTG cables with the DAC-HA200?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back