USB Audio Player PRO (UAPP): 24- and 32-bit playback, ubiquitous USB audio support for Android
Oct 28, 2020 at 9:03 AM Post #4,201 of 6,179
Let's just say @Davy Wentzler has found a way that sends audio directly (aka. Internal HiRes driver) to the hardware (bypassing the Android mixer) that the Tidal developers failed to figure out.

well, then chapeu to our fellow user @Davy Wentzler :)
If he can then somehow integrate also BandCamp in the suite, that could be Uber Cool for me :wink:

Oct 28, 2020 at 5:38 PM Post #4,202 of 6,179
Sará figo!

Oct 29, 2020 at 12:01 PM Post #4,203 of 6,179
I currently have an LG G7, and I'm looking to get a new phone for reasons not related to the DAC, audio, etc.

I have (tried to) follow the posts about native DSD playback on new devices, Android 10 DoP issues, MQA changes, etc., but I still feel a bit murky on the facts. The below is an attempt to summarize what I know on the subject, and it'd be much appreciated if @Dannemand or @Davy Wentzler (or another who has intimate knowledge of the actual audio processes on these devices / platforms--not just "I assume it plays correctly; xyz sounds good to me") to confirm or correct my summary below:
Thank you in advance! :ksc75smile:

1- LG G7 ThinQ | Android 9 + UAPP + Internal Quad DAC => DSD64/DSD128 native or DSD256/512 as 352.8/24 PCM

2- Any Phone | Android 9 + UAPP + External USB-C DAC w/ native DSD compatibility => DoP (DSD over PCM) for USB transfer to external DAC => DAC plays back DoP as native DSD, with no different data to play from than an equivalent (DSD64/DSD128) track on the Internal DAC in #1, and would have a technical advantage over the internal (for applicable tracks) if it could go up to DSD512 natively. If the external was unable to handle a higher DSD resolution, UAPP could do the conversion to PCM just like for the internal DAC.

[I'm intentionally trying to avoid discussion of sound differences between DACs... just looking at the digital side, for now :smile_phones:]

3- LG V#0 series or G# series phone | Android 9 + UAPP or LG Player + Internal Quad DAC => [Same as #1] DSD64/DSD128 native or DSD256/512 as 352.8/24 PCM

4- LG V#0 series or G# series phone | Android 10 + UAPP or LG Player + Internal Quad DAC => All DSD is converted to 352.8/24 PCM; no native DSD compatibility.

5- Any Phone | Android 10 + UAPP + External USB-C DAC w/ native DSD compatibility => NO ability to playback DSD natively on external DAC. Audio must be converted to PCM for playback, even if the external DAC says it supports native DSD.

6- LG V50, V40, V30, and LG G8, G7 (Standard US variants) + UAPP + Internal Quad DAC => MQA hardware rendering to 192/24

7- LG V60 + UAPP + Internal Quad DAC => MQA 1st unfold using UAPP in-app purchase software (to 96/24--no different than any other device). MQA hardware rendering is unavailable, despite potential hardware compatibility.

8- Any Phone | Android 10 + UAPP + External USB-C DAC w/ MQA compatibility => No difference than playback on past Android versions. MQA hardware rendering is possible, assuming the DAC supports it.

9- Android 11 is equivalent to Android 10 for all of the above.

Factual Confirmations: All are currently unverified.
[Last updated: 29 Oct 2020, 1600UTC]

I apologize for the odd notation, but it's the best I could come up with to keep the details straight and avoid over-nuanced English for the international audience. Even if just a couple of the above points can get a [Verified: True, Verified: False (with corrections) or Unverified] kinda thing from others, that'd be much appreciated. Also, I'm always fascinated to learn why (so feel free to included reasoning in replies), I just tried to avoid it in the above for simplicity.

Thank you for reading this wall of text! :dt880smile: Cheers!

Oct 29, 2020 at 1:02 PM Post #4,204 of 6,179
well, then chapeu to our fellow user @Davy Wentzler :)
If he can then somehow integrate also BandCamp in the suite, that could be Uber Cool for me :wink:

Btw a quick one about playlists on Tidal under UAPP: why I can add a new playlist from UAPP that appears as "legit" on UAPP only at single song level?

Instead, when I create a playlist from the entire album, it happens the following:
1) playlist cannot be seen on Tidal
2) playlist seems to be not accessible from anywhere in UAPP, I can see just the playlist created in Tidal and the ones created from single song (see point above)
3) when I add a new album on a newly created playlist, it says that a duplicate was found (?)

So, what is happening exactly? Or what I am doing wrong? :)

Cheers

Oct 30, 2020 at 2:07 PM Post #4,210 of 6,179
I currently have an LG G7, and I'm looking to get a new phone for reasons not related to the DAC, audio, etc.

I have (tried to) follow the posts about native DSD playback on new devices, Android 10 DoP issues, MQA changes, etc., but I still feel a bit murky on the facts. The below is an attempt to summarize what I know on the subject, and it'd be much appreciated if @Dannemand or @Davy Wentzler (or another who has intimate knowledge of the actual audio processes on these devices / platforms--not just "I assume it plays correctly; xyz sounds good to me") to confirm or correct my summary below:
Thank you in advance! :ksc75smile:

1- LG G7 ThinQ | Android 9 + UAPP + Internal Quad DAC => DSD64/DSD128 native or DSD256/512 as 352.8/24 PCM

2- Any Phone | Android 9 + UAPP + External USB-C DAC w/ native DSD compatibility => DoP (DSD over PCM) for USB transfer to external DAC => DAC plays back DoP as native DSD, with no different data to play from than an equivalent (DSD64/DSD128) track on the Internal DAC in #1, and would have a technical advantage over the internal (for applicable tracks) if it could go up to DSD512 natively. If the external was unable to handle a higher DSD resolution, UAPP could do the conversion to PCM just like for the internal DAC.

[I'm intentionally trying to avoid discussion of sound differences between DACs... just looking at the digital side, for now :smile_phones:]

3- LG V#0 series or G# series phone | Android 9 + UAPP or LG Player + Internal Quad DAC => [Same as #1] DSD64/DSD128 native or DSD256/512 as 352.8/24 PCM

4- LG V#0 series or G# series phone | Android 10 + UAPP or LG Player + Internal Quad DAC => All DSD is converted to 352.8/24 PCM; no native DSD compatibility.

5- Any Phone | Android 10 + UAPP + External USB-C DAC w/ native DSD compatibility => NO ability to playback DSD natively on external DAC. Audio must be converted to PCM for playback, even if the external DAC says it supports native DSD.

6- LG V50, V40, V30, and LG G8, G7 (Standard US variants) + UAPP + Internal Quad DAC => MQA hardware rendering to 192/24

7- LG V60 + UAPP + Internal Quad DAC => MQA 1st unfold using UAPP in-app purchase software (to 96/24--no different than any other device). MQA hardware rendering is unavailable, despite potential hardware compatibility.

8- Any Phone | Android 10 + UAPP + External USB-C DAC w/ MQA compatibility => No difference than playback on past Android versions. MQA hardware rendering is possible, assuming the DAC supports it.

9- Android 11 is equivalent to Android 10 for all of the above.

Factual Confirmations: All are currently unverified.
[Last updated: 29 Oct 2020, 1600UTC]

I apologize for the odd notation, but it's the best I could come up with to keep the details straight and avoid over-nuanced English for the international audience. Even if just a couple of the above points can get a [Verified: True, Verified: False (with corrections) or Unverified] kinda thing from others, that'd be much appreciated. Also, I'm always fascinated to learn why (so feel free to included reasoning in replies), I just tried to avoid it in the above for simplicity.

Thank you for reading this wall of text! :dt880smile: Cheers!
I may not be able to help you much: I have very little firsthand experience with DSD playback, and no experience with newer LG phones. But there is some excellent discussion earlier in this thread, particularly between members @RishiGuru, @Jas69 and @m-i-c-k-e-y starting around here:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/usb...usb-audio-support-for-android.704065/page-259

When it comes to MQA, I believe UAPP's MQA add-on will give you first unfold (88/96 KHz) on any device and any DAC (internal or external) since it's all software decoding. Of course the DAC has to support 88/96 MHz, and the DAC must be supported by UAPP's HiRes driver in order to avoid Android Mixer mess-up.

The same is true of Tidal's Android app, which also performs first unfold in software; but in many cases it won't be able to bypass Android SRC when playing it, thus leading it to be downsampled to 48Khz.

That is NOT a concern on LG Quad DAC phones using the internal ESS DAC: While these phones need workarounds to avoid upsampling of Redbook 44/16 (a main reason to use UAPP) downsampling is generally NOT a problem: They allow HiRes streams (anything 24-bit) to be routed through the Direct path to the internal DAC, bypassing the Mixer. Most music apps (including LG Music, Tidal and even Google Music) are able to play unmolested HiRes on these phones. A few dumb exceptions are Qobuz and Amazon HD, which don't bother using Direct path, so everything they play goes through the Mixer. Rather tragic that HiRes tracks from these two supposed HiRes services will be downsampled to 48Khz on Quad DAC phones. In the case of Qobuz, the solution is of course UAPP.

When it comes to Redbook 44/16 on LG Quad DAC phones, the only way to play it without re-sampling is by converting it to 44/24 (harmless SQ wise) at which point it CAN be played through Direct path. UAPP performs this conversion. Neutron too. PowerAmp can be made to do it, but only by configuring it to resample everything to 44/24, including HiRes. I don't know if PowerAmp goes through an actual interpolation process when "resampling" 44/16 to 44/24 (which would kill Bit-perfect) or if it just pads 8 bits like UAPP and Neutron (which preserves Bit-perfect).

To my understanding all of this remains true for newer LG phones. The differences are only in DSD support (borked since Android 10, both native and DoP) and MQA support (discontinued since V60/G8X). But again, please refer to other discussions about these aspects.

On LG quad DAC phones EARLIER than V60/G8X, both UAPP and the Tidal app can play MQA unmolested using the internal hardware MQA: UAPP because... well, it's UAPP; and Tidal app because it knows how to enable the MQA flag specifically on these phones; and since almost all MQA tracks are 24-bit (44/24 or 48/24) it can play them through Direct path. IOW, neither UAPP nor the Tidal app will software decode MQA on LG Quad DAC phones, and BOTH will play them unmolested with full hardware unfolding and rendering using the internal DAC.

I leave to you to translate this into your codification system :ksc75smile:

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2020 at 1:23 AM Post #4,211 of 6,179

Excellent! Google recently killed their Google Music Play app and provided an unacceptable alternative with YouTube Music. I tried YM and found it annoying to use. Accessing and playing uploaded music was clearly an afterthought. Glad to see that UAPP can still tap into the Google servers and present our lockers in an organized and usable layout.

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2020 at 1:19 AM Post #4,212 of 6,179
Strange thing ... I can't access UPNP servers on my Honor 8 Pro but I can access the very same servers using OP 3T
Any ideas?

Nov 1, 2020 at 4:07 AM Post #4,213 of 6,179
I have UAPP setup to stream from my Google Music cloud locker. UAPP says it keeps an offline cache for audio streamed from Google. My cache indicates that I currently have 262Mb of audio files downloaded. Does anyone know where UAPP places this cache in the Android file system?

Already did a file system keyword search for terms such as "cache" "xtream" "usb" and "UAPP" and haven't found the cache folder.

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2020 at 4:18 AM Post #4,214 of 6,179
Strange thing ... I can't access UPNP servers on my Honor 8 Pro but I can access the very same servers using OP 3T
Any ideas?

UPnP is sorta buggy for UAPP imo. If I try to stream any audio file longer than 25 minutes playback will cutoff at a certain point. I posted about this problem last year and there was no solution from Davy.

Nov 2, 2020 at 2:41 PM Post #4,215 of 6,179
Hi, thinking of buying the app. I'm waiting on delivery of iBasso DC03 DAC. Will this app work fine with it - bypass android drivers(?) or whatever is needed?

I'm running A10 ROG phone II, if that matters...

Thanks

Also, how the hell do I find out if my kernel supports isochronous USB transfers? I'm can quite easily flash a custom kernel, but the there's only one available for my device currently. I've messaged the dev to find out if his kernel supports it. If not, is there any way to check my current kernel? I have root access... Cheers

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back