USB Audio Player PRO (UAPP): 24- and 32-bit playback, ubiquitous USB audio support for Android
Jun 5, 2020 at 9:31 AM Post #3,871 of 6,159
Seems like LG has killed DSD/DoP playback on Android 10.

This is the main reason I'm back on here because I was looking into the V60 (to replace my V40)...but apparently LG has screwed the pooch yet again. PCM conversion is unacceptable for DSD playback because it defeats the whole purpose of this phone's audiophile capabilities! With this phone and quality headphones you can easily hear the difference.

Davy...any news on that front?

It is true that V60 or G8X does not support DoP, which signifies V60 is not able to transport DSD over its USB-C port. To transmit DSD data on a USB using DoP is to package the DSD data in PCM form. To be clear, this is NOT a data conversion from DSD to PCM. The data are unchanged. Now with DoP gone, LG Music app in V60 will convert DSD to 88200Hz PCM while transporting through USB. With my LG V30+ which is on Android 9 supporting DoP, the DAC on the other side of V30's USB connection must also be DoP compliant in order to reassemble the DoP PCM bits into a continuous DSD stream.

But in not having DoP support, does it mean V60 is not able to play native DSD files between its LG Music app and the inbuilt ESS DAC? There is no USB between the music app & the DAC.

I mean to say if I play a DSD file on V60, will the ESS DAC perform direct DSD conversion inside the ESS DAC? I think it should.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2020 at 9:29 AM Post #3,873 of 6,159
YIKES! :scream:....I feel you Bro...

Jun 6, 2020 at 2:14 PM Post #3,874 of 6,159
Just updated my Lg G8x to android 10 and it dosent do native dsd anymore.😣

What indicates that native DSD support was disabled after Android 10 update? Any indication on the default music player?

I was thinking of getting hold of an G8X, so your inputs will be very helpful.

Jun 6, 2020 at 2:27 PM Post #3,876 of 6,159
Uapp play the dsd natively on android 9 now it dosent after the android 10,but the lg music player is playing dsd correctly.

Attachments

• Capture+_2020-06-07-02-24-51.png
    Capture+_2020-06-07-02-24-51.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Jun 6, 2020 at 2:46 PM Post #3,877 of 6,159
Uapp play the dsd natively on android 9 now it dosent after the android 10,but the lg music player is playing dsd correctly.

Are is using an external DAC with G8X connected via USB-C and complaining about no native DSD playback support? Or are you using the inbuilt Quad DAC? I am confused.

It is a well known fact of the DoP issue of Android 10.

Jun 6, 2020 at 2:53 PM Post #3,878 of 6,159

LG Music Player plays DSD files but its downconverted to 88.2K (or they have resolved this??). Last Feb., Davy had this post:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/usb...udio-support-for-android.704065/post-15478566

Seems like LG has killed DSD/DoP playback on Android 10. The official LG Music app plays at 88200Hz in floating point mode (format 0x5). To check if LG didn't abuse format 5 for DoP, I checked the logcat and there is no sample rate change between playing DSD64 and DSD128. Can anyone confirm what I'm seeing on a V50 or G8?
dumpsys audio.media_flinger also shows the same thing. It even lists DoP modes, but when UAPP (or any competitor app) tries to use that, nothing is played and the phone becomes unstable. Some nice progress by the folks at LG?!

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2020 at 2:55 PM Post #3,879 of 6,159
Are is using an external DAC with G8X connected via USB-C and complaining about no native DSD playback support? Or are you using the inbuilt Quad DAC? I am confused.

[/QUOTphi

Photo above play direct from phone.but i did try connect via usb c to fio mk2 dac and it play native dsd as well

Attachments

• IMG_20200607_025355_229.jpg
    IMG_20200607_025355_229.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 0
Jun 6, 2020 at 2:57 PM Post #3,880 of 6,159
Snapshot of UAAP using Internal DAC?

Most audio players will tell you the file being played but seldom it will tell you the depth and rate it is being played by the DAC. Like LG's Music Player.

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2020 at 3:08 PM Post #3,881 of 6,159
Snapshot of UAAP using Internal DAC?

I am even more confused now. Are G8X owners confusing between native DSD playback taking place between LG default music player and QuadDAC with DoP issues of Android 10? As much as I know DoP is the bit perfect DSD transmission of DSD in PCM through USB and has nothing to do with phones internal native DSD playback. With no DoP in Android 10 the external DoP complaint DAC gets effected during DSD playback.

Correct me if i am wrong.

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2020 at 3:15 PM Post #3,883 of 6,159
Yeah I was kind of misunderstood some parts back there...maybe too much QUARANTINE!!

Yep DoP and Direct DSD (Native) are different. And misunderstood you, that you are talking NATIVE DSD...sorry.

But unless there is a confirmation other than displaying file information...so...

Unless you place it in a spectrograph (had this experiment many years past).

Jun 6, 2020 at 3:19 PM Post #3,885 of 6,159
@Jas69

If you configured your UAPP's USB Audio->DSD mode to Native DSD...the answer is Yes.

But UAPP say your playing a DSD128 file and your DAC outputs it to DSD128 also. Its doesn't say NAtive DSD or DoP. Its up to your configuration.

Yeah on you're phone its converted to PCM.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back