USB Audio Player PRO (UAPP): 24- and 32-bit playback, ubiquitous USB audio support for Android
May 27, 2020 at 9:58 PM Post #3,841 of 6,156
I have LGV30 and like to sometimes use LDAC BT using FIIO BTR5.

Question - Do I need to purchase the additional MQA component to benefit improved sound through the BTR5 or can LG already handle this even when outputting via BT ?

If you're talking about listening to Tidal streams, then I don't believe sending the file to be unfolded by the DAC in the phone, will make any difference to the LDAC encoding that's being done for the BT transmission. It's two separate signal paths - one to the phone's DAC / Amp / Headphone Jack, and one to the software encoder for LDAC going to the BT transmitter.

May 27, 2020 at 10:22 PM Post #3,842 of 6,156
If you're talking about listening to Tidal streams, then I don't believe sending the file to be unfolded by the DAC in the phone, will make any difference to the LDAC encoding that's being done for the BT transmission. It's two separate signal paths - one to the phone's DAC / Amp / Headphone Jack, and one to the software encoder for LDAC going to the BT transmitter.

It is for Tidal - I should’ve been more clear.

I also have a feeling that the V30 DAC is bypassed and when it’s encoded by the LDAC it makes everything sample to 48k as that is what shows up on the BTR5. Both MQA & none MQA tracks.

Hoping the additional MQA purchase might keep things in original 44/96k area.

All quite tricky to get head around what’s happening.

May 27, 2020 at 10:23 PM Post #3,843 of 6,156
Another subject. With the Toneboosters EQ system embedded in UAPP, is there a display somewhere of which of the preset EQs is currently being processed? I can't find anything. Or do we simply have to remember which preset we last selected?

May 28, 2020 at 2:08 AM Post #3,844 of 6,156
As the NW-ZX507 new firmware supports hi-res streaming, I wonder will UAPP be able to support the new feature. Hopefully the bit-perfect works correctly this time!

<edit>
The ADB dumpsys media.audio_flinger seems to suggest the Hi-res streaming option simply up-convert everything to 192KHz/32bit.

Last edited:
May 29, 2020 at 7:49 AM Post #3,845 of 6,156
It is for Tidal - I should’ve been more clear.

I also have a feeling that the V30 DAC is bypassed and when it’s encoded by the LDAC it makes everything sample to 48k as that is what shows up on the BTR5. Both MQA & none MQA tracks.

Hoping the additional MQA purchase might keep things in original 44/96k area.

All quite tricky to get head around what’s happening.
Not sure, but I think that the phone’s DAC is completely bypassed in BT mode and the only DAC employee is the one in the receiver. I am sure your doing this already, but just in case, make sure the BT connection is set to Best Quality, then go to Developer Options in your phone adjust the Bluetooth settings.

May 31, 2020 at 12:20 AM Post #3,846 of 6,156
Just curious, can the UAPP play DSD natively (without converting to PCM) using the internal DAC? I have the Cayin N6ii and I can see the DSD files are being played as PCM files.

May 31, 2020 at 1:12 AM Post #3,847 of 6,156
Hi,
I have a problem with Sonata HD Pro and my Mi 8. If I connected the DAC. Everything is great. I can watch youtube, open spotify. But when I started the UAPP, the app will crash. After that, all of the media playing went haywire. I now cannot play youtube, play spotify. The only way to fix it is to restart. Then everything when haywire again if I open UAPP while connected to the DAC. Anyone, have a same problem with me? Even I already exit the UAPP nothing can be played.

Jun 1, 2020 at 1:24 AM Post #3,848 of 6,156
Seems like LG has killed DSD/DoP playback on Android 10. The official LG Music app plays at 88200Hz in floating point mode (format 0x5). To check if LG didn't abuse format 5 for DoP, I checked the logcat and there is no sample rate change between playing DSD64 and DSD128. Can anyone confirm what I'm seeing on a V50 or G8?
dumpsys audio.media_flinger also shows the same thing. It even lists DoP modes, but when UAPP (or any competitor app) tries to use that, nothing is played and the phone becomes unstable. Some nice progress by the folks at LG?!
Hi all,
I’m new here but a big fan of the app (it was the first android app I bought having switched from an iPhone) and of the great support and engagement with users offered by Davy.

I’ve been an LG V50 owner for a few months and now getting around to making some tweaks and refinements to my setup. Unfortunately it seems, I upgraded to Android 10 not knowing about any potential issues at the time.

I confess I don’t understand what happened with the introduction of Android 10 on the V50 (so go gently:wink: ), and so hoping some folks might be able to pitch in on the following questions:
1. Is it that DSD playback used to be ‘native’ in Android 9, but that this is no longer the case in Android 10?
2. How are DSD (dsf) files now handled by the app in Android 10?
3. How big a deal is any such change of treatment for user listening?
4. Is it possible to revert to Android 9 to reverse any such reduced DSD capability?

I note the following note appears on the extreamsd site, but I don’t fully understand what this means either I’m afraid, so a brief explanation would be much appreciated:

“The V50 does not feature DoP. The LG Music app will convert DSD to 88200Hz PCM, whereas UAPP converts to 352800Hz PCM.”

Cheers in advance for any info.

Jun 1, 2020 at 4:28 AM Post #3,849 of 6,156
I note the following note appears on the extreamsd site, but I don’t fully understand what this means either I’m afraid, so a brief explanation would be much appreciated:
“The V50 does not feature DoP. The LG Music app will convert DSD to 88200Hz PCM, whereas UAPP converts to 352800Hz PCM.”

Explanation of DoP.
https://www.dcsltd.co.uk/support/what-is-dop-dsd-over-pcm/

In short, the result data in DoP is DSD stream. The DAC at the other end knows that the data is not PCM but DSD stream and thus will perform DSD decode to analog.
LG Music App/UAPP performs the DSD decoding into PCM and thus the result data is sampled analog signals. The DA converter at the end just needs to take this PCM to perform simple D-A conversion.

The quality of the analog sound depends on the quality of the DSD decoding. DoP relies on external decoder.

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2020 at 9:25 PM Post #3,854 of 6,156
Hi,

Really love this app!

Is there any way to disable track pause by tapping the album cover? I find this can get in the way a lot - even with my headphone wire touching my screen, etc.

Thanks!

Michael

Users who are viewing this thread

Back