USB Audio Player PRO (UAPP): 24- and 32-bit playback, ubiquitous USB audio support for Android
Dec 15, 2019 at 2:13 PM Post #3,271 of 6,159
We maybe like different. I have a Mojo with my Samsung s7 and this sounds a bit better than a Lg v30.
But MQA in my opinion sounds more flat and boring than music without MQA if using equalizer.
I did a blindtest with 4 friends and they all said the same thing. This was jazz and rock music.
Had a Mojo & a Hugo 2 but currently Dragonfly Cobalt is my best for listening to MQA and they sound as good as any 24/96 or 24/192 flac files I have.

I never use EQ, just straight out of DAP or DAC bit-perfect when possible.

I wanted more portable than Mojo/Hugo 2

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2019 at 8:00 AM Post #3,277 of 6,159
Tidal made changes such that when streaming lossless, it will always feed the embedded 24-bit MQA signal.

I've checked and desktop app takes different stream, take a look, upper is HiFi, lower is Master... Maybe there's chance to add FLAC stream? Supporting MQA is not best option and looks like it takes twice as bandwidth giving nothing or even less with Morphit in return.

redbook_vs_mqa.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2019 at 8:05 AM Post #3,278 of 6,159
I've checked and desktop app takes different stream, take a look, upper is HiFi, lower is Master... Maybe there's chance to add FLAC stream? Supporting MQA is not best option and looks like it takes twice as bandwidth giving nothing or even less with Morphit in return.

The last thing we want is ask Tidal to change something for us, sorry. Your opinion that it is not giving anything in return is not commonly shared, but you have the right to your own opinion of course.

Dec 17, 2019 at 11:50 AM Post #3,281 of 6,159
curious why you think it is giving nothing/less in exchange for the bandwidth taken? I'm not familiar with those types of measurements. They appear to be samples?

UAPP shows current bitrate of MQA to it's easy to see what internet bandwidth it takes, it's more than twice as redbook FLAC (1.5-1.9Mbits vs 0.7-0.9Mbits). Those are only graphs from Windows task manager, very crude approximation, but I wanted to check if HiFi and Master are same streams or not. Truth is I should have done it better.

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2019 at 4:13 PM Post #3,282 of 6,159
UAPP shows current bitrate of MQA to it's easy to see what internet bandwidth it takes, it's more than twice as redbook FLAC (1.5-1.9Mbits vs 0.7-0.9Mbits). Those are only graphs from Windows task manager, very crude approximation, but I wanted to check if HiFi and Master are same streams or not. Truth is I should have done it better.

Yeah, HiFi and Master are definitely different streams, the latter taking more bandwidth. Twice the price too. So don't pay for it if you don't hear the difference :dt880smile:

Dec 18, 2019 at 4:27 AM Post #3,283 of 6,159
Yeah, HiFi and Master are definitely different streams, the latter taking more bandwidth. Twice the price too. So don't pay for it if you don't hear the difference :dt880smile:

I've got Tidal HiFi Family plan and MQA content is available so same money here...
But sonically? I honesty can't hear any differences between even twice unfolded MQA and FLAC no matter how hard I try (on both HD600 and Fidelio S2 headphones). This is however not MQA/quality thread, so let's leave it aside.

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2019 at 9:05 AM Post #3,285 of 6,159
But sonically? I honesty can't hear any differences between even twice unfolded MQA and FLAC no matter how hard I try (on both HD600 and Fidelio S2 headphones). This is however not MQA/quality thread, so let's leave it aside.

Many MQA tracks I don't hear a difference either because they were made from poor sources in the first place. But there are some good ones. I list a few in this post.

And you're right, off topic. Over & out.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back