Ultrasone Signature DJ
Dec 8, 2012 at 3:50 PM Post #408 of 2,701
Quote:
ok guys. I did some more comparisons. First, with the SP. I maintain that the SP is more refined than the SDJ. The mids sound more full and lifelike, and the high end is more natural sounding and spacious, DESPITE being less bright. It's hard to separate that out. The SDJ sounds more present, and possibly more detailed because it's brighter. But with vocals and cymbals, I prefer everything the SP does more. I think the bass is killer on both headphones. I think the SP is a tad tighter. For an all-round headphone I think the SP wins hands down for me. For electronic music, I can EQ the SDJ to be monsters. 

My go-to audio device for incredible monster bass is the Future Sonics MG6Pro. It is famed to be the most amazing bass, and it is. Without EQ, it devastates any headphone or earphone I've ever heard in the bass department without it even being a close contest. Granted, they are a $1K custom IEM. Not only do they supply devastating, eardrum-distorting bass, but I have NEVER been able to top them out with power. Even with their low impedance, I fed everything the Liquid Fire had, and they were still not distorting. It is freaking unbelievable. It reminds me of seeing John Digweed at Space in Miami during my WMC days. 

With extensive EQ, I can make the SDJ on par with the MG6Pro. In fact, I can EQ it to where I prefer it. The ONLY problem is that the SDJ tops out right before you reach that eardrum-wrecking bass, that if it were live, would literally be jarring your vision. The SDJ handles an incredible amount of power, more than any other over-ear I've heard, but just pulls short of the MG6 in terms of power handling. Not that I listen that loud, but I want my 10 seconds of reminiscing the old days every now and again for 10 seconds. And the SDJ just barely pulls short when I want to have that option. Other than that one short-coming, the SDJ is my favorite and best sounding bass can to date. It is growing on me. I'm just not sure I can justify it with the MG6Pro I already own, and it's not as solid of an all-rounder to me as the SP that I already own. The more I play with the SDJ the more I love them and it's going to be really hard to give them up. If I didn't have the MG6Pro, keeping these would be a NO-BRAINER. They blow the Pro 900 away like a joke. Easily the best bass can I've heard. Very impressive. 

Any possibility you will be able to compare SDJ to M-100?

Dec 15, 2012 at 5:01 PM Post #409 of 2,701
Can anyone compare the bass of the Signature DJ in terms of depth and impact to any other headphone(s)?

Specific comparisons that would be ideal include Beats Pro, M-Audio Q40, ATH-PRO700MK2, V-Moda M-100, etc.

I have no doubt the overall SQ is excellent, but I have come to the conclusion that I am also a basshead.

Dec 17, 2012 at 6:02 PM Post #410 of 2,701
Sorry Craig, thank you for being patient with me, as you pointed out i accidentally posted this in the pro section as i had them mixed up after having so many cans in mind at the time.

Quote:
@mrbigsby- Is there any way you can compare the K167 to the Ultrasone Signature DJ?  On a side note, any feedback you could provide about the Sig DJ on the Sig DJ thread would be greatly appreciated.

The sig DJ was very satisfying after comparing them to all the other phones i had laid out before me. They entered the comparison after trying the k167 with 3-4 particular tracks VS:
pro900, DT770 250ohm, DT880 (not for me), and a couple other things like HD650 and some Grado. I must say i liked them best but i also expected something holy to occur considering the price tag, but it didnt- they just sounded really nice.

Whats really nice? well to my ears, well rounded. THey had more bass than the 880, on par with the 770 but not as boomy or overstated in the sense that the separation and definition was perfect, clear but warm mids (which ive ony EVER found on the limited edition 770, which in turn is not much like the dt770 pro 250, or any other headphones), the mids didnt hide behind a veil or bass or feel too scooped, and the highs were crisp but not deafening like the pro900 who needed to be driven up to feel the midbase tonality- but at this level the high end was excruciating for me personally- as well as that god aweful headband! I have a smallish head, i dont often even extend headphones- who designed that thing?

Heres the shock. They sound like a more expensive more well made, more precision more better-er k167/dt770 limited 32OHM hybrid. Honestly the best way i can describe them. comfy too, and attention to detail is mental. They have Etheopian calf skin that is so soft id venture its scrotum (kidding) but i did think it was fake it was so soft, those white shiny inserts- yeah their GLASS! the metal is something special too but i forgot. Basically they are a great pair of cans, for any genre but especially electronica and older grooves- they do bass well, generated or guitar bass. If they kept their glass and baby cow ass to themselves and sold it for $400-$500 i would have bought them and loved them and named them Gus.

-end-

Original post with pics:

Ok, so i had a little time on my hands today and went out to do this:

..and this

and this.

Then i ended up doing this:

which lead to this:

then eventually things spiralled out of control:p

SOme results were to be expected:

Some not so expected!

Just to clarify i own the K167, and all the samples used im told have around 100 hours or more on them. Except for one, but ill get to that last.

I realise these are not all in the price range of k167, but a couple are relatively close (in Australia), others are topics of curiosity. 

I carried out extensive testing using the same source (iphone), same amp/DAC (e17), and same settings for 1-2 reference songs for each genre, first comparing each to the k167. Then grouping them and comparing them, then tweeking the eq to make each phone sound best to me and noting the changes. And finally eliminating the ones that werent for me and noting why.

THey didnt have a sample of the limited edition (4000 made) DT770 32 OHM, so i had to buy that in order to add it to the tests. Im glad i did, these, not even burnt in, made the 250OHM DT770 obsolete in my opinion. MUCH better high end (not rolled off or overpowered by bass like the 250), very analytical like and clear clean but warm very present mids (which i LOVE), and still that big bass, but not at all boomy or colouring. Rock tracks still sounded like rock tracks, etc. They stood up to the k167, and in my opinion dominated them pretty hard. I must say though i own BOTH, and am happy i do. 

In essence i have too much to write in a post, with all the hours of fun i had today i would end up writing a 4 page post! SO i think its best that if anyone wants to know my thoughts comparing ANY of the above to ANY of the above (or to the 167 which was the initial exercise), please feel free to ask in any detail you like and ill do my best to help:D

Dec 19, 2012 at 9:40 AM Post #412 of 2,701
Quote:

In essence i have too much to write in a post, with all the hours of fun i had today i would end up writing a 4 page post! SO i think its best that if anyone wants to know my thoughts comparing ANY of the above to ANY of the above (or to the 167 which was the initial exercise), please feel free to ask in any detail you like and ill do my best to help:D

Nice post... so, seeing that this is the Signature DJ thread, does it dominate all of the headphones you tested in: Bass quantity and quality, present mids, non-harsh highs, details and sound/instrument separation?

:wink:

Thanks.

Dec 19, 2012 at 10:58 AM Post #413 of 2,701
You did find it somehow the best headphone out of the ones on the pictures. But you want them with pleather pads and without glass, to get them cheaper, right? How about taking the PRO-900 instead?

Dec 19, 2012 at 7:27 PM Post #414 of 2,701
Quote:
You did find it somehow the best headphone out of the ones on the pictures. But you want them with pleather pads and without glass, to get them cheaper, right? How about taking the PRO-900 instead?

WAAAAYYYY different sound.  PRO900 is not in the same league and has harsh highs with a dramatic V-signature. 

Dec 20, 2012 at 4:08 AM Post #416 of 2,701
Quote:
What about beats pro?

Based on my experience with the Signature Pro, it is also in a different league from Beats PRO regarding bass tightness/accuracy, overall transparency, detail retrieval and high end extension (with no harshness and minimal sibilance).  Vocal detail is the best I have ever heard in a headphone.  Beats PRO still has bigger, more powerful bass than the Sig Pro.  The Sig DJ may have bass slam that comes close to the Beats as it is boosted compared to the Sig Pro.  Even as a basshead, I much prefer the overall sound of the Ultrasone Signature line.

Jan 4, 2013 at 8:22 AM Post #418 of 2,701
I am still on the fence regarding the Sig DJ.  Despite excellent, detailed sonic descriptions from SoundFreaq and AnakChan, I am cautious due to the lack of activity on this thread with I equate to a lack of enthusiasm regarding the headphone.  I have settled in with my M-100 and still love them as they are perfect for modern music, but I am now finding there are some recordings where I would like more high end extension and detail.  I have been listening more to female vocalists lately (mellowing out in my old age) like Jewel, Norah Jones, Natalie Merchant, Carly Simon, Alanis Morissette and wondering if the vocals of the Sig DJ would be too recessed to fully appreciate them and how much more recessed vocals are compared to the M-100 which already has laid back vocals.

The Sig DJ hit many check boxes for me including great looks, durability, portability, fantastic bass, wide soundstage and excellent detail based on what I have see and read.  However, at their price point, I would expect a headphone that hits ALL my check boxes which must also include an exceptional vocal presentation.

Any additional feedback, particularly in comparison to the M-100, PSB M4U2 or MDR-1R would be appreciated.

Jan 4, 2013 at 9:05 AM Post #419 of 2,701
Seems you need to purchase them and find out the missing things for me.... I am in the same position too.

Jan 4, 2013 at 9:18 AM Post #420 of 2,701
Quote:
I am still on the fence regarding the Sig DJ.  Despite excellent, detailed sonic descriptions from SoundFreaq and AnakChan, I am cautious due to the lack of activity on this thread with I equate to a lack of enthusiasm regarding the headphone.  I have settled in with my M-100 and still love them as they are perfect for modern music, but I am now finding there are some recordings where I would like more high end extension and detail.  I have been listening more to female vocalists lately (mellowing out in my old age) like Jewel, Norah Jones, Natalie Merchant, Carly Simon, Alanis Morissette and wondering if the vocals of the Sig DJ would be too recessed to fully appreciate them and how much more recessed vocals are compared to the M-100 which already has laid back vocals.

The Sig DJ hit many check boxes for me including great looks, durability, portability, fantastic bass, wide soundstage and excellent detail based on what I have see and read.  However, at their price point, I would expect a headphone that hits ALL my check boxes which must also include an exceptional vocal presentation.

Any additional feedback, particularly in comparison to the M-100, PSB M4U2 or MDR-1R would be appreciated.

Just my thoughts. The Signature Pro and Signature DJ has more resolution than the 3 aforementioned above. Personally I feel that the Ultrasone Sig range are just simply the next level up. And if you're looking at getting more detail and resolution, then you'll just have to splash the dough now to get to that next level. And even that to me is climbing the ladder "slowly" (otherwise I'd say go straight for the Fostex TH-900 :wink:).

At least in my thoughts, although I'd personally rate the TH-900s the top of the closed back range, they're non-isolating which makes going out with them a no-no. Therefore my next level would be the SigPro (if it's one that passes good QC) or SigDJ as the top isolating closed backs.

Time to move up buddy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back