Ultrasone Signature DJ
Mar 26, 2014 at 9:35 PM Post #1,456 of 2,701
Also... I recieved my o2. Honestly, I think i 'caught the dragon' so to speak. I was NOT expecting this much of a difference. I basically have no interest in upgrading anywhere in the near future. The sound signature is perfect for me.... The o2 just barely boosted the sub bass and treble, and i think it made them absolutely perfect.

Mar 26, 2014 at 9:57 PM Post #1,457 of 2,701
Going from reviews and comparisons alone, the only other headphone I think I would like better than the DJs is the TH900.

I almost stopped coming to head fi altogether after I got them, but I'm just a curious person. I like to stay informed on technology, and that includes headphones now.

Now my search continues for dac/amp options. I would've gotten the O2 if it had batteries.

Mar 26, 2014 at 11:18 PM Post #1,458 of 2,701
Going from reviews and comparisons alone, the only other headphone I think I would like better than the DJs is the TH900.

I almost stopped coming to head fi altogether after I got them, but I'm just a curious person. I like to stay informed on technology, and that includes headphones now.

Now my search continues for dac/amp options. I would've gotten the O2 if it had batteries.

It does :S

Mar 30, 2014 at 4:34 AM Post #1,459 of 2,701
JVC DX1000 on its way from Japan. Comparison coming soon.

Mar 30, 2014 at 6:10 PM Post #1,461 of 2,701
  Where are you guys buying your DJ's from? Amazon? I'm looking to buy a set.

Since you are "TooPoor" ( ;p ), try contacting RMC Audio for their best price...

Mar 30, 2014 at 6:30 PM Post #1,462 of 2,701
Thanks! Shot them an email. I'm only poor because of my toys (headphones being the cheapest)...
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 3, 2014 at 1:13 AM Post #1,465 of 2,701
I didn't end up getting the Alpha Dogs. My comparison to the TH600 is on page 96.

From the hour I tried an Alpha Dog for here were the differences I heard

Signature DJ
- overall U shaped sound, more prominent treble and bass, however not sibilant like many lower Ultrasone models.
- much more powerful and deeper bass - Alpha dog relatively weak by comparison - the AD is about as bassy as a HD600 from memory YMMV
- fun/energetic and has instant wow factor
- aggressive and punchy, AD was smoother sounding overall
- imaging can sound like its behind you head at times is more 3d to my ears *S Logic at play*
- Smallish soundstage compared to other high end models, but very good seperation
- leaks practically nothing
- easy to power, can be used portably
- snug but comfortable fit
- full lower mids but mine has weaker upper mids where lead guitars, female vocals reside
- some of the best isolation I've ever had on a headphone

AD
- Neutral - trending toward being a little bit bright
- very flat and detailed mids, without any mid bass bump
- Somewhat dryier and thinner overall sound than the DJ
- sounds cleaner than the DJ overall
- seemed a bit more resolving of micro details
- somewhat bigger soundstage and a bit airier
- very complete mids, vocals at no point have any recession from what I had heard
- very very comfortable earpads, headband strap pressure was noticable on my head but no pain
- much heavier as well as being a lot larger
- isolation pretty good but not nearly as good as Sig DJ, wouldn't recommend to use it on the go for size, weight and the fact that the DJ kicks it to the curb for stopping loud noise

I think the AD vs DJ is a very apple to oranges type situation. I'd take the Alpha Dog in a heartbeat for acoustic, classical and Jazz listening due to that superb and very clean / clear midrange. Very much a ideal Neutral sound signature except for a slight treble elevation *which I hear can be cured with the doggie treat mod*. DJ for EDM, Metal (for my tastes), Pop, Rap no contest.

Apr 3, 2014 at 2:58 AM Post #1,466 of 2,701
+1 to UNiFi said. I have both and agree with that. I was trying to see if there's any point I'd disagree but I couldn't find any! Spot on mate!

Apr 4, 2014 at 12:37 AM Post #1,467 of 2,701
Signature DJ vs JVC DX1000.

I've had the DX1000 for some days now, and I've spent about 20 hours listening plus 20 hours burning in overnight. Still early days. Here are my impressions.

Signature DJ
- More mid bass, more pronounced bass guitar
- brighter treble - more detailed highs as well
- superior separation/imaging by a small margin
- much much less forward in the mids, weaker female vocal presence
- more upfront and aggressive
- sounds quicker or more urgent
- better isolation and less leak
- feels more durable

DX1000
- Strong sub bass rumble, regions where trance beats and dub step drops are very very powerful - rumble may even eclipse the TH600 - need to keep testing more
- very powerful bass impact, the headphone can tickle your skin with high volumes - flip flop between the DJ and DX1000 for most impact - depends on the tracks
- On rock tracks suddenly they do not sound bassy anymore - there has to be a big dip somewhere around where bass drums and guitars reside
- For rock they sound very mid range oriented and have a very organic lush sound to them
- Midrange can sound unusual with distant recordings - cavernous kind of feeling to them
- emphasizes and pronounced vocals, similar to some Audio Technicas but not as strong in color
- somewhat detached and soft treble response
- massive soundstage, deeper than any other closed can I've heard - somewhat narrower in width than Fostex TH models
- slower and more laidback overall sound - very thick synth tones for EDM and very smooth + creamy with stuff like Jazz, Pop and Rock
- very very very large headphone, makes even the TH600 seem small
- almost weightless feeling - very comfortable - very light clamp
- about as easy to drive as the DJ
- does not feel durable on the headband arms which are plastic but not durable like the DJ
- better isolation to the TH600 but not on par with the DJ, fairly big gap here still

The DX1000 sound signature so far makes me think of a closed but superior HD650 with more bass kick.

The DX1000 is amazing for female vocals, Kpop king for me. I like modern pop with it as well. Jazz, Rock, R&B and Blues sound very very nice on them. EDM is very fun and powerful as well. For classical I miss more air to the sound and the treble detail. Sounds a bit slow and too laid back for metal. Not portable in the least.

The DJ is still more fun and energetic, with "better" treble - at least for me.

Heres some photos for size comparatively

Apr 4, 2014 at 2:27 AM Post #1,468 of 2,701
Interesting comparisons UNIFi. 

The DX-1000 is a real looker IMO.  Nice to see it garner some extra attention as well.

Apr 4, 2014 at 4:43 PM Post #1,470 of 2,701

Man.....These are really my next cans. 
Ultrasone had me and lost me. Just a personal pref.
I want these wood chambered mammoths. 
darthsmile.gif

?????

Users who are viewing this thread

Back