ULTRASONE NEW ANNOUNCED HEADPHONE Signature Pro
Jun 11, 2012 at 11:18 AM Post #961 of 2,431
I haven't heard the Edition 8s but the Sig.Pro is NOT harsh at all... it's closer to neutral than I thought it would be (I was actually expecting a bit of brightness but sound is actually a bit relax/warm.)

Jun 11, 2012 at 4:40 PM Post #962 of 2,431
I went down the same route, had Ed.8, sold it, missed it, tried 2900 Pro, found it too bright, sold it, bought the LE Ed.8. Now I don't have them for a side by side comparison but I can swear the LE Ed.8 purchased about a year ago is less bright and tonally more balanced than my previous, aprox. three years old, Ed.8. I also find Signature noticeably darker than both. 

Jun 12, 2012 at 3:48 AM Post #963 of 2,431
I had a listen to the SigPros at the shops again an hr ago. Had my Ed8LEs hanging off my neck. The SigPros are demos and I'd guess that they're well burnt in if it make any of a difference. My Ed8LEs were purchased last Oct & quite well burnt in too. My source was my DX100 & I had both plugged in simultaneously.

Whilst I won't agree that the SigPros sound darker than the Ed8LE's, I'd say that the SigPros treble extensions are probably about the same as the Ed8LEs but the difference (to me!) is the SigPros' highs are smoother. One of the most apparent differences I hear between two is that vocals with the SigPros sound more deep whilst the Ed8LEs sound thin by comparison. I felt that with the SigPros, the vocalist was singing from deep within her lungs with some oomph rather than "just singing". Whether this the low mids being more forward, I can't really sing. But the SigPros definitely add more dimension to the Ed8LEs in the low mids & mid bass region.

Before, I personally considered the Ed8s to be my pinnacle of closed & isolated headphones (the Fostex TH900 takes the closed but leaky crown) but after today's brief session I think the right Sig Pros can takeover the new crown. In Japan, 2nd hand Sig Pros go for approx USD$800+ which is quite reasonable compared to new. So I just have to demo & choose the right one (assuming in-manufacturer discrepancies).

Jun 12, 2012 at 7:20 PM Post #964 of 2,431
Quote:
I had a listen to the SigPros at the shops again an hr ago. Had my Ed8LEs hanging off my neck. The SigPros are demos and I'd guess that they're well burnt in if it make any of a difference. My Ed8LEs were purchased last Oct & quite well burnt in too. My source was my DX100 & I had both plugged in simultaneously.
Whilst I won't agree that the SigPros sound darker than the Ed8LE's, I'd say that the SigPros treble extensions are probably about the same as the Ed8LEs but the difference (to me!) is the SigPros' highs are smoother. One of the most apparent differences I hear between two is that vocals with the SigPros sound more deep whilst the Ed8LEs sound thin by comparison. I felt that with the SigPros, the vocalist was singing from deep within her lungs with some oomph rather than "just singing". Whether this the low mids being more forward, I can't really sing. But the SigPros definitely add more dimension to the Ed8LEs in the low mids & mid bass region.
Before, I personally considered the Ed8s to be my pinnacle of closed & isolated headphones (the Fostex TH900 takes the closed but leaky crown) but after today's brief session I think the right Sig Pros can takeover the new crown. In Japan, 2nd hand Sig Pros go for approx USD$800+ which is quite reasonable compared to new. So I just have to demo & choose the right one (assuming in-manufacturer discrepancies).

I'm curious- since I consider the bass impact and precision on both of these to be phenomenal, but I would not consider them basshead headphones.  With proper EQ and the right music, could they be turned into a basshead headphone?  I ask because I am trying to find a closed headphone that works well for portable use (check), with stellar, clean accurate sound in mids and highs when listening to female vocals (check), with a subwoofer in my head (that does not leak into the mids) if I am in the mood for Pitbull or Nicki Minaj.  If so, is there a compact, portable amp you would recommend to complement these?

Jun 12, 2012 at 7:24 PM Post #965 of 2,431
Well, I don't know about you, but I would actually "categorize" them as "basshead"-approved!!!! I was just listening to Pendulum - Witchcraft ... HOLY SH!*#(!(@(!!!!!! Excellent bass response, going oh so low and everything sounding sweet... I think I'm actually falling in love with these! (Haven't used my Denon D5000s in a week now...).

Just did a test with the same song, turned on the "Bass Boost" of my portable amp (c421), and yes... extreme bass, no distortion! (and yes, the headphone is vibrating a bit! lol)

So,... I'm pretty sure that if you get one of those ZO2s, you'll probably be Ok...

Jun 12, 2012 at 7:36 PM Post #966 of 2,431
Quote:
Well, I don't know about you, but I would actually "categorize" them as "basshead"-approved!!!! I was just listening to Pendulum - Witchcraft ... HOLY SH!*#(!(@(!!!!!! Excellent bass response, going oh so low and everything sounding sweet... I think I'm actually falling in love with these! (Haven't used my Denon D5000s in a week now...).

Just did a test with the same song, turned on the "Bass Boost" of my portable amp (c421), and yes... extreme bass, no distortion! (and yes, the headphone is vibrating a bit! lol)

So,... I'm pretty sure that if you get one of those ZO2s, you'll probably be Ok...

Thanks, I am really on the fence about splurging for Signature Pros or waiting for the V-Moda M-100 and saving $700 but potentially giving up some sound quality, particularly on the high end.

Jun 12, 2012 at 7:42 PM Post #967 of 2,431
Oh I know what you mean. I actually plan on getting the V-MODAs also to test them seeing that I REAALLY like the V80s! I would say... wait! I know sometimes that is way difficult in this 'hobby' but at least wait until the M100 reviews start pouring in...

:wink:

Jun 12, 2012 at 9:20 PM Post #968 of 2,431
If the final M100 sounds anything like the prototype I heard last month, the SQ difference between it & the SigPros are -big-. The M100 prototype couldn't retrieve the detail the SigPros can. Sure it's a prototype but usually by the time a prototype is released to the public to demo, it's basic signature is already determined.

In addition, at least to me, the SigPros were more well rounded than the M100 for genre of music.

Jun 12, 2012 at 9:41 PM Post #969 of 2,431
Quote:
If the final M100 sounds anything like the prototype I heard last month, the SQ difference between it & the SigPros are -big-. The M100 prototype couldn't retrieve the detail the SigPros can. Sure it's a prototype but usually by the time a prototype is released to the public to demo, it's basic signature is already determined.
In addition, at least to me, the SigPros were more well rounded than the M100 for genre of music.

The only thing for me to do is wait until the M-100 is released so I can hear for myself.  I also plan to listen to Sennheiser Amperiors which are being released in the US on 6/16 through Apple and see if I can live with either of these as an alternative to the Sig Pros based on the cost difference, understanding there is a significant difference in detail (as there should be based on the price). 

Jun 13, 2012 at 12:55 AM Post #970 of 2,431
Should be getting mine on friday from Thomann to try out.. I can definitely say then if they are true basshead candidates. I usually run my LCD-2's at +5dB <100hz which makes it ok balanced to me, but sometimes I'd like (much) more impact..

Jun 15, 2012 at 2:10 AM Post #971 of 2,431
Quote:
Should be getting mine on friday from Thomann to try out.. I can definitely say then if they are true basshead candidates. I usually run my LCD-2's at +5dB <100hz which makes it ok balanced to me, but sometimes I'd like (much) more impact..

The bass on the Signature Pro has a phenomenal, precise and deep punch.  I'm curious for your feedback comparing to the LCD-2 since I have not had the pleasure of listening to those.

Jun 15, 2012 at 6:34 AM Post #974 of 2,431
Quote:

While the SP bass is deep and present, I think their response is not u-curved enough to satisfy a real mega bass head, who would presumably want a bigger bump in that area.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back