ULTRASONE NEW ANNOUNCED HEADPHONE Signature Pro
Jun 5, 2012 at 9:06 AM Post #931 of 2,431
Quote:

You'll have to do it straight from the driver end :-

http://www.head-fi.org/t/570388/ultrasone-new-announced-headphone-signature-pro/795#post_8368409

Thanks

Jun 5, 2012 at 9:54 AM Post #933 of 2,431
Quote:

[About the V-Moda M-100] Aren't these somewhat vented, though? 

They are vented and not completely isolated (at least my Ed8LEs isolated more than the prototype M-100 I tried - which to me was the same level as the LP2, maybe a tad more isolation). But I didn't test for leaks since I was the one wearing/listening to them!

Jun 5, 2012 at 10:56 AM Post #934 of 2,431
The M-100 will probably be my next purchase... (right now using the V80s at work today). I'm still waiting for my Signature Pros to arrive (bought them from someone in the UK... it has taken like a week now... :frowning2: )

Jun 5, 2012 at 4:30 PM Post #935 of 2,431
Any updates? :)

Have you looked at the FiiO products? My E9 is a fine amp. The new E17 DAC takes optical.

Ordered them Thursday, and due to the double bank holiday (damn you Queen!) they should be here tomorrow. I'll def post some pics and some impressions. Will the E17 sound drastically different (SQ wise) from my iMac or do I need to spend more money on a dac? Also how would I go by connecting the E17 using optical?

Jun 6, 2012 at 12:49 PM Post #936 of 2,431
Got mine today.
On my head right now... I'm actually QUITE surprised that the sound is actually more "neutral" than I thought it would be (I only had experience with Ultrasone before on the DJ1/580)

Jun 6, 2012 at 1:41 PM Post #937 of 2,431
Quote:
Got mine today.
On my head right now... I'm actually QUITE surprised that the sound is actually more "neutral" than I thought it would be (I only had experience with Ultrasone before on the DJ1/580)

That's what makes me really interested in the Sig Pro. People say it's more on the neutral side of things. Also, since it's Ultrasone they do their magic with the highs and lows. I get the impression that these headphones deliver in many aspects and are good all-rounders. This headphone seems to be the first from Ultrasone that everyone loves rather than "you either love it or hate it" haha!

Jun 6, 2012 at 4:01 PM Post #938 of 2,431
Got mine today, was really scared that the bass would be too much but it isn't the case! James Blake's cover of Limit to Your Love just sounds so sweet, authoritative deep bass but without over powering, just so tight. Plugged in straight to my iMac they seem to be well powered compared to my FA-003w (from memory). Need to pry my 003ws from my friend to do a proper head to head. Also they are very comfortable, I do have small ears though. Very very pleased.

Jun 6, 2012 at 4:04 PM Post #939 of 2,431
Quote:
Got mine today, was really scared that the bass would be too much but it isn't the case! James Blake's cover of Limit to Your Love just sounds so sweet, authoritative deep bass but without over powering, just so tight. Plugged in straight to my iMac they seem to be well powered compared to my FA-003w (from memory). Need to pry my 003ws from my friend to do a proper head to head. Also they are very comfortable, I do have small ears though. Very very pleased.

That is one awesome, awesome song. Glad to hear it does well on your new phones.

Jun 7, 2012 at 3:13 PM Post #940 of 2,431
Quote:
Ordered them Thursday, and due to the double bank holiday (damn you Queen!) they should be here tomorrow. I'll def post some pics and some impressions. Will the E17 sound drastically different (SQ wise) from my iMac or do I need to spend more money on a dac? Also how would I go by connecting the E17 using optical?

Can't say since I don't have an E17 or an iMac. But let's be honest here, you got a ~$1000 headphone. Don't you think it should be deserving of a dedicated DAC/amp at least? Haha. I mean I'm quite positive the E17 won't sound worse! Getting a DAC/amp is pretty much always an upgrade from onboard soundware. I'm sure you'll eventually become curious enough and just buy an E17 anyway. In most cases I believe that upgrading from onboard crapware to a solid DAC/amp will see substantial changes in SQ. From there future upgrades become marginal improvements as the law of diminishing returns take effect. But hey, if you are perfectly happy with your iMac then you are perfectly happy! :)

As for optical use with the E17, it comes with an Coax/optical adapter.
Your setup would be like this: iMac optical out -> optical cable -> adapter -> Coax input of E17

Jun 8, 2012 at 7:50 PM Post #941 of 2,431
Quote:
That is off topic . . . why are you posting about supporting an anti Beats page when this thread is about the Ultrasone Signature Pro headphones?

EDIT: I liked your page but you shouldn't go completely off topic like that . . . that has absolutely nothing to do with these headphones.

Sorry i was rallying support for one of my friends , it educates people on facebook about beats and thanks for the like 

Jun 9, 2012 at 6:16 AM Post #943 of 2,431
Of course it needs a DAC / headphone amp to sound at its best. It doesn't sound bad from an iPhone or from my Macbook's line out but plug it into a Benchmark, a Weiss or a Phonitor to fully experience its capabilities. To me however Edition 8 is the better headphone. While Signature might be the more accurate (although darker sounding), Edition 8 has a finesse, a certain something very difficult to describe that takes ages of burn in to come forward, but once it does, it makes for a very special, enjoyable, addicting  listen. Signature is smooth sounding but rather closed, dark and certainly lacks this finesse factor (although I can't exclude the benefit of further burn in, Ultrasone are notoriously slow at reaching their full potential). I think Ed 8 also images better, the soundstage is wider and more convincing, almost as good as an open headphone experience. It might be that the shape or positioning of the drivers works better for my ears (as you know S-Logic is very dependent on anatomy) but Ed. 8 scores higher in my book. And coming from HD800 or Edition 8 I find the highs of Signature slightly lacking, not in quantity (I am certainly not a treble fan, on the contrary, I am very sensitive and it took a long time and a SPL to fully appreciate Ed. 8) but in quality. It simply doesn't have that life-like quality of the more expensive rivals. Overall Signature might appeal to people who find Ed. 8 too bright but an improvement, in my opinion, it is not. The mids are still recessed, the treble is darker, the soundstage is rather claustrophobic and the magic of Ed.8 (I think Muppet Face called it euphony) is missing. Again, extended burn in might help. But they're certainly not one and the same headphone, they're quite differently voiced and for me, at this point, Ed. 8 is the clear winner. The build quality is also better (as sturdy as this plastic frame might be it's no match for the all metal Ed. 8) and don't forget the 7 years warranty for the Edition series (I have the Limited version). On the other hand Signature is a big improvement over  2900 Pro and a chance to taste the high end Edition sound at a fraction of the price. I can imagine why some people, especially using a simple line out from a Macbook / iPhone, might find them very similar or even prefer the Signature, which, due to it's darker sound signature, would cope better with sibilance / lower quality recordings.           

Jun 9, 2012 at 11:41 AM Post #944 of 2,431
Woah woah...What!? Must go listen...

Quote:

Quote:

That is one awesome, awesome song. Glad to hear it does well on your new phones.

Jun 9, 2012 at 2:03 PM Post #945 of 2,431
Thanks for sharing, revenge!

Pretty much impossible to choose between the Ed8 and SP for me. I will need to find a way to audition them in the future.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back