ULTRASONE NEW ANNOUNCED HEADPHONE Signature Pro
May 25, 2012 at 8:30 AM Post #901 of 2,431
Looking at various pictures from sale ads on head-fi and also HeadRoom's product photo, I can see some bumps. Seems to be a common thing.

Basically the plastic spine that runs across the headband is very rigid, and in some places it's not entirely even, so it pulls the leather up with it slightly. I'm not even really sure what that plastic spine is for, exactly.

May 25, 2012 at 9:28 AM Post #903 of 2,431
Yes my headband is a little uneven as well. I assumed it was because I had them recabled for balanced operation and that they were resown. No biggie tho:)

May 25, 2012 at 9:38 AM Post #904 of 2,431
Mine's only uneven when the headband's stretched out.

Quote:
I'm not even really sure what that plastic spine is for, exactly.

It probably does something to keep the leather from slipping out of the these things http://cdn.head-fi.org/f/f9/900x900px-LL-f9c39159_pic26.jpeg (what they called?) as can happen with headphones like the SRH840.

May 26, 2012 at 1:01 AM Post #905 of 2,431
I don't think it's been covered in this thread...how does the SP soundstage compare to the Ed8?

If you look at pictures where the earpads are removed, the driver looks to be placed in a more middle position at 6 o'clock. All the other Ultrasone models are pushed a little more forward and aren't directly at 6 o'clock. Pretty interesting if you ask me. Though, I don't think it makes much of a difference since no one has commented on it thus far; only impressions concerning treble/balance have been made in comparison to the Ed8.

May 26, 2012 at 1:13 AM Post #906 of 2,431
I haven't extensively A/B'd the two yet as I've mostly been listening to my speakers lately, but the impression I get is that the SP's have less of a centered projection (as to be expected, I guess), but the overall soundstage seems a little larger.  Also, while I've previously stated that I don't understand what people are referring to when they reference height in headphones, coming from Ed. 8's, I do feel as though the SP's image is a bit taller. 

I'm not sure about instrument separation yet; that would require more listening to both.

May 26, 2012 at 11:20 AM Post #908 of 2,431
Quote:
Save your money- I listened to both last week side-by-side and they were nearly identical.  I actually thought the ED8 was more comfortable.

I've been an Ed8LE owner for the past 8  months. 2-3 months back, I gave the SigPros in the shop a try and thought they were very similar to the Ed8LEs except somewhat more refined. So I continued to be happy with my Ed8LE. 3 weekends ago, the Head-Fi group managed to secure a desk/room at the Fujiya May Headphone Festival, and along we had manufacturers loan us some gear to listen for the day - I swore the SigPros Ultrasone loaned us sounded much smoother and considerably different than my Ed8LEs as I was able to compare side-by-side. Since that day I was convinced myself that I needed to sell my Ed8LEs and get the SigPros (and later to be modded to be balanced).

And today I see your recommendation :D.

Guess I'm off to the shops to listen to the SigPros again to see if they're drastically different one more time. Or....the ones loaned at the show was drastically different from the SigPros I tested at the shop.

May 26, 2012 at 11:31 AM Post #909 of 2,431
Actually, most of the impressions thus far DO note a difference between the Edition 8 and Signature Pros. Personally I don't think they're identical. The Signature Pro's top end is less bright / aggressive in comparison to the Edition 8s. As a result I find them much less harsh.

Personally I find the Signature Pro more comfortable as well due to the rounded earcups. Also I find the cable of the Edition 8 to have too little room above the Y-split.

May 26, 2012 at 12:43 PM Post #910 of 2,431
I am thinking I had more bass thru the Ed.8 but then again what do I know. I just love music and need the gears to enjoy it

only 3 hours on mine but I might need a little more bass!

May 27, 2012 at 12:44 AM Post #911 of 2,431
Soundstage on both is mediocre at very best.

S-Logic, I'd like to reiterate again, does not magically make soundstage wider. And so being closed headphones, they sound ..  well..  closed. S-Logic to me helps the rendering and imaging. Not necessarily better imaging, but a more realistic, 'body' to the images. And drags the entire stage a touch forward (which can be further augmented by a good crossfeed system).

May 27, 2012 at 10:31 PM Post #912 of 2,431
Quote:
Soundstage on both is mediocre at very best.

S-Logic, I'd like to reiterate again, does not magically make soundstage wider. And so being closed headphones, they sound ..  well..  closed. S-Logic to me helps the rendering and imaging. Not necessarily better imaging, but a more realistic, 'body' to the images. And drags the entire stage a touch forward (which can be further augmented by a good crossfeed system).

However, with their closed design, wouldn't these be the highest quality options for portable listening?

May 28, 2012 at 1:13 AM Post #914 of 2,431
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigster75 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

However, with their closed design, wouldn't these be the highest quality options for portable listening?

Without a doubt. Yes.

I have the HeirAudio 8.A, which I take around as my portable, but in terms of just purely sound quality, to me, IMHO the Edition 8s are ahead. The CIEMs are just more convenient to take around.

With my opinion on the SigPros being a touch better than the Ed8s, they're mostdef one of the better portables around

May 28, 2012 at 5:08 PM Post #915 of 2,431
Auditioned a pair sig pros today, courtesy of audioaffair in birmingham (uk).  I was  impressed with them , so now i'm an owner of a pair.
happy_face1.gif
.  this thread has proved invaluable in pointing up the strengths and weaknesses of these.  I'm happy with them, taking into account they are closed ( which at the moment is my only option) and they are are in my opinion of high quality.  they have been (partialy) burnt in and sound good.  I'll post more impressions once I've had more chance to listen to them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back