ULTRASONE NEW ANNOUNCED HEADPHONE Signature Pro
Dec 16, 2012 at 11:46 AM Post #1,471 of 2,431
FYI Jan Meier sells the Signature Pro for $975 outside of Europe (i.e. no VAT) with free shipping to any location. You also get a nice discount on any of his amps or DACs if you buy one of those at the same time.

http://www.meier-audio.homepage.t-online.de/ 

Dec 17, 2012 at 2:34 AM Post #1,472 of 2,431
Thanks for all of the info, i have been following this thread but haven't had a chance to hear them.  With the holidays and work shut down, what i have has to go out for presents anyway, except for the Pico Power which i stuck money away for back in Summer and now just waiting for completion.  I am kinda set for portables anyway even without them considering i have Ed8 LE, JH13, ES10 and ESW9's.  Who knows though, maybe when i hear them I will be swayed.  

Gotta say that i was seriously considering the TH900's after hearing them, but ended with the W3000anv on my last headphone buy.  They were half the price and good in their own right so they won out.  

I have to be careful with meets though, i always end up emptying my account after them.
blink.gif

Dec 17, 2012 at 4:43 PM Post #1,473 of 2,431
@mrbigsby- Is there any way you can compare the K167 to the Ultrasone Signature DJ?  On a side note, any feedback you could provide about the Sig DJ on the Sig DJ thread would be greatly appreciated.

The sig DJ was very satisfying after comparing them to all the other phones i had laid out before me. They entered the comparison after trying the k167 with 3-4 particular tracks VS:
pro900, DT770 250ohm, DT880 (not for me), and a couple other things like HD650 and some Grado. I must say i liked them best but i also expected something holy to occur considering the price tag, but it didnt- they just sounded really nice.

Whats really nice? well to my ears, well rounded. THey had more bass than the 880, on par with the 770 but not as boomy or overstated in the sense that the separation and definition was perfect, clear but warm mids (which ive ony EVER found on the limited edition 770, which in turn is not much like the dt770 pro 250, or any other headphones), the mids didnt hide behind a veil or bass or feel too scooped, and the highs were crisp but not deafening like the pro900 who needed to be driven up to feel the midbase tonality- but at this level the high end was excruciating for me personally- as well as that god aweful headband! I have a smallish head, i dont often even extend headphones- who designed that thing?

Heres the shock. They sound like a more expensive more well made, more precision more better-er k167/dt770 limited 32OHM hybrid. Honestly the best way i can describe them. comfy too, and attention to detail is mental. They have Etheopian calf skin that is so soft id venture its scrotum (kidding) but i did think it was fake it was so soft, those white shiny inserts- yeah their GLASS! the metal is something special too but i forgot. Basically they are a great pair of cans, for any genre but especially electronica and older grooves- they do bass well, generated or guitar bass. If they kept their glass and baby cow ass to themselves and sold it for $400-$500 i would have bought them and loved them and named them Gus.

-end-

More comarisons can be found here, post 1080 on page 72 onward:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/636439/akg-k167-ti-sto-discussion-impression-review-appreciation-thread/1065

Dec 17, 2012 at 5:25 PM Post #1,474 of 2,431
Thanks for posting.  In your earlier post with pictures, I saw the Signature DJ, not the Signature PRO.  Which one did you audition or was it both?  The Sig DJ has white cups; the Sig PRO has black cups.

Dec 17, 2012 at 7:38 PM Post #1,477 of 2,431
I really didn't want to rank them as they all have merits and compromises, but if we are talking strictly bass (impact/tone/sub/mid):

1:Sig DJ / dt770 limited 32 (different flavor both as big and present yet controlled and tight)
2; dt770 pro 250
3; k167
4; pro900
5; dt880 pro 80ohm
Then the other few.
But if you asked me about highs or mids or presence or soundstage the list would be different. Again with preference which is subjective. I suggest trying them, but if you have specific questions ill do my absolute best for you.

Dec 17, 2012 at 8:26 PM Post #1,478 of 2,431
Quote:
I really didn't want to rank them as they all have merits and compromises, but if we are talking strictly bass (impact/tone/sub/mid):
1:Sig DJ / dt770 limited 32 (different flavor both as big and present yet controlled and tight)
2; dt770 pro 250
3; k167
4; pro900
5; dt880 pro 80ohm
Then the other few.
But if you asked me about highs or mids or presence or soundstage the list would be different. Again with preference which is subjective. I suggest trying them, but if you have specific questions ill do my absolute best for you.

Thank you for doing this, very helpful.

Dec 22, 2012 at 8:09 AM Post #1,480 of 2,431
I'm not sure if its due to the output impedance on the Fostex HP-P1, but I find them a tad lacking when driving the SigPros directly. Quite a fair bit of improvement can be had by adding on my iQube... Wonder if the RSA amps like Mustang will be a good match?

Dec 22, 2012 at 11:14 AM Post #1,482 of 2,431
Quote:
I chose the CEntrance Hifi M8.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/622939/the-centrance-hifi-m8-thread
http://centrance.com/products/new/blog/

Nice! Do share once your impressions are in! Interesting to see how confident CEntrance is in their built in amp to have left out any options of attaching your own amp~ I loved the Dacport though :)

Jan 3, 2013 at 5:32 PM Post #1,484 of 2,431
Quote:
Does the Signature Pro sound good with bright amplifiers (I prefer bright sound signatures)?

If you prefer bright i think that answers your question.. I personally prefer warm and even with a tube amplifier I wouldn't call the SP a warm sounding headphone, with a brighter more analytic  headphone amp I imagine the treble could get harsh - but thats amp dependent and source dependent - wont hurt to try, a neutral amp my still give you the brighter sound without over emphasizing treble. 

Jan 4, 2013 at 12:43 PM Post #1,485 of 2,431
Quote:
If you prefer bright i think that answers your question.. I personally prefer warm and even with a tube amplifier I wouldn't call the SP a warm sounding headphone, with a brighter more analytic  headphone amp I imagine the treble could get harsh - but thats amp dependent and source dependent - wont hurt to try, a neutral amp my still give you the brighter sound without over emphasizing treble. 

The sig pro's treble actually isn't enough for me, I'm a bit of a treblehead :) I think I'll order the O2 since I prefer a brighter signature.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back