ULTRASONE NEW ANNOUNCED HEADPHONE Signature Pro
Dec 13, 2012 at 6:55 PM Post #1,456 of 2,431
Hey, I had a question for you guys

Meanwhile, the Signature Pro is the only headphone I own and for me, it's an excellent "do it all" can, since good for both home and portable use. I was just wondering, is it worth purchasing an open/semi-open headphone at some point to become my headphone for home use (and the signature pro for portable use)? After reading these forums a bit before purchasing the signature pro, the sig pro seems to hold it's own against most expensive flagships like the beyer T1, LCD-2, HE-500, etc. despite being. Therefore, if I purchase an open headphone for home use such as the T1, LCD-2, HE-500, HE-6, TH900, etc. would it be a big improvement over the signature pro and would I end up using it at home all the time instead of the sig pro, or would it be more of a side grade? Also, if it is an improvement over the sig pro in every way, is it a huge upgrade (worth the money) or is it just a slight upgrade (if it's just a slight upgrade, it's not worth the extra money IMO)?

Personally I think its good to have at least one of each and preferably they have different signatures. A closed can won't sound like an open can they are just different form factors and have different characteristics. When I owned the DT770 and HD600 it was great hearing the differences of each headphone. I still miss the HD600. I do want to get another open can down the road. I lo e the sennheiser sound but to me the hd800 sound cold. Maybe the hd700 would be a better choice.

Long story short its no coincidence that most of the top rated headphones are opened. I don't think you should deprive yourself of that open/airy sound.

Dec 13, 2012 at 7:19 PM Post #1,458 of 2,431
Quote:
I totally agree your impression of the Sig Pro. I haven't got any problem with the seal with the Signature Pro however. While the Signature Pro lacks the ultra wide stage that Ed8 have, it have the best bass response I have heard from a pair of portable, natural and clear. That is from an iBasso D12 with iPod Touch as source, I can imagine it being even better with a better source and amp.

+1 the bass tonality and texture is the best in the price range (for the sig pro).. like the reviewer said the Ed 8 have more of a hi-fi sound, I would call it more of a immediate wow factor sound, but the Signature Pros are much more natural in their presentation, it is a shame the soundstage is lacking otherwise they would have almost everything right.

Dec 13, 2012 at 7:32 PM Post #1,459 of 2,431
Quote:
I think all of the headphones you mentioned are arguably side-grades except the TH900. I know people that like the SP than all of the others you mentioned, including myself. 

Most consider the TH900 an upgrade, but it's an expensive upgrade and definitely not leaps and bounds better than the Sig Pro at all. Diminishing returns in full effect here my friend. I'd enjoy listening to your Sig Pro for a while and not worry that you're missing out on something else. You're not. 

Personally I feel the TH900s are superior and noticeably so; a leap no, but a big step up - yes.. Diminishing returns come into play after spending $500, so the same goes for the Sig Pros, but a side-by-side comparison of both headphones in a quiet area - you notice a lot of subtle yet dramatic differences in audio that makes the TH900s stand out as something very special (not just something slightly better than the SP). Also for me personally the Sig Pros were not comfortable at all, where as the TH900s share the D7000 comfort.. its hard to enjoy music when you are getting pressure pains on/around your head/ear from clamping pressure.

Dec 13, 2012 at 7:41 PM Post #1,460 of 2,431
Quote:
I think all of the headphones you mentioned are arguably side-grades except the TH900. I know people that like the SP than all of the others you mentioned, including myself. 

Most consider the TH900 an upgrade, but it's an expensive upgrade and definitely not leaps and bounds better than the Sig Pro at all. Diminishing returns in full effect here my friend. I'd enjoy listening to your Sig Pro for a while and not worry that you're missing out on something else. You're not. 

That's what I was worried about, I didn't want to be missing out on a lot, so I think I'll just forget about other flagships for a while and just enjoy my sig pro's. I haven't purchased an amp and DAC for it yet, so I'm eager to see how much it will improve when I finally get one :)

@AgainstTheGrain Just out of curiosity, do you think the HD600 competes with expensive flagships? If I decide to get an open can some day, the HD600 seems like an interesting choice along with some other mid-fi cans such as the HE-400, DT990, etc. I was always curious to see how mid-fi cans compared with flagships.

Dec 13, 2012 at 8:52 PM Post #1,461 of 2,431
To my ears the TH900's are a pretty significant upgrade over the Sig Pro's.  Of course there's nothing wrong with enjoying the Ultrasones longer, but I'd be hard pressed to say they're really end-all home headphones. 

Dec 13, 2012 at 9:09 PM Post #1,462 of 2,431
I definitely agree, but at a $1000+ premium, there's no need to rush that upgrade with how good the Sig Pro is. I think you have to spend quite a bit more to step up out of the Sig Pro level. TH900 is a good example.

Dec 13, 2012 at 11:08 PM Post #1,463 of 2,431
@AgainstTheGrain Just out of curiosity, do you think the HD600 competes with expensive flagships? If I decide to get an open can some day, the HD600 seems like an interesting choice along with some other mid-fi cans such as the HE-400, DT990, etc. I was always curious to see how mid-fi cans compared with flagships.

With the right amp I feel the hd600 are right up there in the lower HiFi spectrum. Meaning right below the uber HiFi ie. Hd800, lcd-3, etc. The hd600 scale really well and they are a fantastic all purpose open can.

Dec 15, 2012 at 4:27 AM Post #1,464 of 2,431
I used to have the HD600, and compared with the HD650 (which I then got as well), the HD600 is more neutral and clearer. However, the HD600 is very different from the HD800, which, I agree, can sound a bit cold with the stock cable. I have a Cardas replacement cable with my HD800 and the combination works pretty well for vinyl, but the HD800 definitely has less pervasive bass than Ultrasone headphones do generally.

As for having an open or semi open backed headphone for home use, or at least an alternative for home use, I reckon it's a matter of choice. I have the Sig Pro for portable use: it's the only headphone which I like a lot and which can be folded flat and put in a bag, with the cable detached, so that there is no risk of damage being done. (I have also a Pro 900, but even with a Cardas replacement cable its treble is just too sharp. My ALO HFI 780 is a much better alternative than the Pro 900 to the Sig Pro, but the cable on that is not detachable, and anyway I like the Sig Pro more. My ALO Ultrasone Edition 9 is also not as good as the Sig Pro for portable use.)

Incidentally, I posted some pages back about what I found best with the Sig Pro for portable use. I am now using an iPod classic going into a CypherLabs Algorythm Solo via an ALO copper cable (I have the silver-coated SXC too and the copper is somehow cleaner), which is feeding an ALO Rx Mk II via a Nordost Heimdall IKable. That is my best portable rig ever. I am really happy with it. But for home use I find I like the Denon D7000 (I won't bother to go into the source, but suffice it to say that it is obviously important and that I have just put my Sugden HeadMaster back into use and that combination is good, if fed a clean signal via another Nordost cable) or Stax Omega fed by another clean source. Those are my favourites for digital use.

Dec 15, 2012 at 9:44 AM Post #1,467 of 2,431
Quote:
The HD600 and 650 (if you want a darker, smoother sound) scale up really well, probably better than the Sig Pro with desktop equipment.

My sonic preferences are a bit tricky, I prefer a bright headphone with an elevated treble response, but I prefer a thick sound (opposed to grado's thin sound). I'm considering the DT990 if I decide to get an open headphone because of it's elevated treble (I'm a treblehead), and because of it's bass which should make it sound thick, but I'm afraid it's mids will be too recessed (this is why I enjoy the Sig Pro, it's got a great bass response, present mids, and although I would prefer more treble, I can certainly live with the amount of treble it offers). However, I am still interested in the HD600 because it would be nice to have a headphone that offers a different signature and highlights vocals, even if it won't have the amount of treble I want.

Dec 16, 2012 at 12:51 AM Post #1,468 of 2,431
I am actually very surprised at looking at the price that, at least at B&H the price is so much more than a basic Ed 8.  Ed8 is $999. and Sig Pro is $1299.
Yikes, between a quarter and a third more expensive.

Dec 16, 2012 at 2:32 AM Post #1,469 of 2,431
Quote:
I am actually very surprised at looking at the price that, at least at B&H the price is so much more than a basic Ed 8.  Ed8 is $999. and Sig Pro is $1299.

Thats cos you're looking at the updated pricing after the release of the Romeo and Juliet... They used to be priced at $1499, while the SigPro are the lower tier at $1299. In any case, I'm eagerly awaiting my SigPros to reach me!

Dec 16, 2012 at 4:09 AM Post #1,470 of 2,431
Quote:

Quote:
Thats cos you're looking at the updated pricing after the release of the Romeo and Juliet... They used to be priced at $1499, while the SigPro are the lower tier at $1299. In any case, I'm eagerly awaiting my SigPros to reach me!

rmcaudiodirect.com has the Sig Pro for $850 if you call for the price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back