ULTRASONE NEW ANNOUNCED HEADPHONE Signature Pro
Dec 13, 2012 at 9:05 AM Post #1,442 of 2,431
I would consider the TH900's if they isolated better. I don't think you could take them on a plane.

I highly doubt it. I did that with the d7k once.... big mistake lol

Dec 13, 2012 at 9:54 AM Post #1,444 of 2,431
If this helps, I A/B'd the Ed8 and Sig Pro.  I feel they are similar enough that if you own one, owning the other is redundant and maybe even a waste of money.  I do like them both.

Craigster, I'm still 20 pages from the end of this thread but I keep reading your opinion and I'm surprised by it. A few days ago, I spent a great afternoon listening to the Signature Pro and comparing it to the Signature DJ and Edition 8. Well, the great part was the Signature Pro to my taste.

I will post impressions down the road when I have time - I'm on a business trip - but suffice to say I found the sound signatures of the Signature Pro and Edition 8 to be very different.

Varied impressions for sure.

Dec 13, 2012 at 10:40 AM Post #1,445 of 2,431
How severe was the lack of isolation on a plane?

There was 0 isolation. I couldn't hear the music from all of the cabin and engine noise. Glad I had my um3x to save the day.

Dec 13, 2012 at 11:47 AM Post #1,446 of 2,431
Quote:
Craigster, I'm still 20 pages from the end of this thread but I keep reading your opinion and I'm surprised by it. A few days ago, I spent a great afternoon listening to the Signature Pro and comparing it to the Signature DJ and Edition 8. Well, the great part was the Signature Pro to my taste.
I will post impressions down the road when I have time - I'm on a business trip - but suffice to say I found the sound signatures of the Signature Pro and Edition 8 to be very different.

Very much looking forward to you impressions as an ES5 lover. I've also owned all three of those Ultrasone's at one time or another. 

Someone PM'd me about the difference in the SP and Ed8. Thought I'd g ahead and post that here:

I owned the Edition 8 for about a year before the Sig Pro popped up on my radar. Naturally with all the fanfare I had to bring them in. My intention was to do a rigorous comparison and sell the one i liked the least - and that's exactly what I did. 

First, comfort. I must say, clamp does NOT bother me. Both are nicely isolating headphones. Both are VERY isolating headphones. The Edition 8 just a SMIDGEON more. The SP isolates like a madman too. Due to this amazing isolation the clamp force is strong on both. NEVER bothers me. Especially since the headphones are made of such high quality leather. The leather is that same lambskin, so the feel is the same. Both clamp about the same, the SP may clamp a tiny bit more - too close to call. The Edition 8 seems to fit smaller heads better. It was slightly more comfortable to me. I find them both comfy, but the Edition 8 with the oval cups was slightly more comfortable. 

Second, the looks. The Edition 8 is flashy. It truly looks luxury. But at the same time, I dared not take it out of the house. They are just too nice. That portable package, though they don't fold, is rendered useless to many because you get them and just don't want to leave the house with them. A lot of people don't like the looks of the Sig Pro. I think they are VERY sharp, and unique looking. The matte black earcups with the glass endcaps looks sharp. It's a but of a subtle sharpness. Like Batman :)

On that note, I consider the SP to be actually portable. I don't consider the Edition 8 to really be so. I take my SP to the office. I didn't do that with the E8. 

The Sound. well.... ok. The Edition 8 is more of a "hi-fi" sound. The Sig Pro is more of an audiophile mature sound to me. At first listen, the Edition 8 wows more. But listen to the Sig Pro for a few minutes and you hear the difference, and the sound is a no-brainer as to what I preferred. 

The bass on the E8 is textured and reaches deep. The bass on the SP is considered to be some of the very best around. Period. The control and texture on the SP is great, and it's a meaty bass without ever being too much. There is probably a tad more bass impact on the E8. But the highs are so hot, that you can't really jam out with it. 

The mids are no contest for me. The Edition 8 is far more v-curved. If you like mids, especially if you listen to music with vocals, the SP mids are more natural, more forward, and more organic sounding. After getting used to the SP mids, switching back, the E8 mids sounded like a thin joke. The SP is a more balanced phone. In the end, even though I'm a basshead, I still preferred it. If yo love v-curved stuff, then the E8 might be best. But wait...

The highs. The highs on the SP are smooth, and super detailed. The headphone in general is considered to be incredibly detailed. Some compare it to the HD800. The SP has less highs, but it is NOT at the sacrifice of detail. To me, the Edition 8 high end is much too hot. And while the bass rumbles nicely, the high end gets so hot you can't jam out. The SP highs are smoother, yet as detailed. 

One thing the E8 has over the Sig Pro is soundstage. They have a larger and more immersive soundstage. They are both highly detailed. In the end, it was a no-brainer for me. I think the SP has big, controlled robust bass, liquid smooth, natural mids, and detailed highs that just sing. 

Another thing to consider is that myself, and many others would lose seal on the E8 while moving their head around. I had to sit perfectly in a certain position to keep the seal, or the bass would go out the window. Maybe you will have that issue maybe you won't. For me, the SP works great to deliver astounding sound, and I have the option to take it with me and not feel like I have to babysit them at home due to looks and fit issues. 

Dec 13, 2012 at 12:06 PM Post #1,447 of 2,431
I totally agree your impression of the Sig Pro. I haven't got any problem with the seal with the Signature Pro however. While the Signature Pro lacks the ultra wide stage that Ed8 have, it have the best bass response I have heard from a pair of portable, natural and clear. That is from an iBasso D12 with iPod Touch as source, I can imagine it being even better with a better source and amp.

Dec 13, 2012 at 12:13 PM Post #1,448 of 2,431
Quote:
I totally agree your impression of the Sig Pro. I haven't got any problem with the seal with the Signature Pro however. While the Signature Pro lacks the ultra wide stage that Ed8 have, it have the best bass response I have heard from a pair of portable, natural and clear. That is from an iBasso D12 with iPod Touch as source, I can imagine it being even better with a better source and amp.

Yeah the bass response is really really good. And to be clear, I was talking about losing seal on the Ed8, not the Sig Pro. 

Dec 13, 2012 at 12:39 PM Post #1,449 of 2,431
Quote:

This may relate to AnakChan's comments regarding distinct sonic variation from unit to unit regarding the Sig Pro.  I thought the ED8 was more comfortable, but did have a slight preference for the Sig Pro sound as I picked up slight sibilance on the ED8.  I look forward to your Sig DJ comparison as I may consider those after auditioning the Velodyne VTrue and AKG Tiesto K267.

Dec 13, 2012 at 12:44 PM Post #1,450 of 2,431
Yup its official I'm selling my D7K for a pair of SP. Look for a post in the for sale section soon.

Does the Schiit Asgard pair well with the SP?

Dec 13, 2012 at 5:14 PM Post #1,451 of 2,431
Quote:
I've looked at the TH900 but they are above my price range also from what I've gathered they are too close in sound to the D7000. I think I want to experiment with sound signatures and at least I know the TH900 is out there in case I want to upgrade later. I do love this journey though. My wallet doesn't but its only money.

yea i completely understand - during the journey you figure out exactly what you're ears like.. but you do end up spending more $ then just going straight to the top (in the long run).

Dec 13, 2012 at 5:16 PM Post #1,452 of 2,431
Quote:
I would consider the TH900's if they isolated better. I don't think you could take them on a plane.

yea I wouldn't one of the head-fi'ers that own the TH900s did and they broke somehow during travel (Fostex warrantied them, but still thats a frightening situation) + like you said they isolation is not great.

Dec 13, 2012 at 6:01 PM Post #1,453 of 2,431
yea i completely understand - during the journey you figure out exactly what you're ears like.. but you do end up spending more $ then just going straight to the top (in the long run).

True but its so much fun getting new toys :D

Dec 13, 2012 at 6:04 PM Post #1,454 of 2,431
Hey, I had a question for you guys

Meanwhile, the Signature Pro is the only headphone I own and for me, it's an excellent "do it all" can, since good for both home and portable use. I was just wondering, is it worth purchasing an open/semi-open headphone at some point to become my headphone for home use (and the signature pro for portable use)? After reading these forums a bit before purchasing the signature pro, the sig pro seems to hold it's own against most expensive flagships like the beyer T1, LCD-2, HE-500, etc. despite being. Therefore, if I purchase an open headphone for home use such as the T1, LCD-2, HE-500, HE-6, TH900, etc. would it be a big improvement over the signature pro and would I end up using it at home all the time instead of the sig pro, or would it be more of a side grade? Also, if it is an improvement over the sig pro in every way, is it a huge upgrade (worth the money) or is it just a slight upgrade (if it's just a slight upgrade, it's not worth the extra money IMO)?

Dec 13, 2012 at 6:49 PM Post #1,455 of 2,431
I think all of the headphones you mentioned are arguably side-grades except the TH900. I know people that like the SP than all of the others you mentioned, including myself. 

Most consider the TH900 an upgrade, but it's an expensive upgrade and definitely not leaps and bounds better than the Sig Pro at all. Diminishing returns in full effect here my friend. I'd enjoy listening to your Sig Pro for a while and not worry that you're missing out on something else. You're not. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back