Ultimate Ears Triple Fi 10 Thread
Aug 9, 2012 at 3:36 PM Post #7,008 of 9,690
I am really loving the TF10's, I can't believe I put these away in favor for the SM3 V2's and UM3X's! I love them so much that in fact, I am putting up my SM3 V2's for sale/trade. What headphones (not IEMs) have a similar V-shaped signature like the TF10's?

Aug 9, 2012 at 4:27 PM Post #7,009 of 9,690
I am really loving the TF10's, I can't believe I put these away in favor for the SM3 V2's and UM3X's! I love them so much that in fact, I am putting up my SM3 V2's for sale/trade. What headphones (not IEMs) have a similar V-shaped signature like the TF10's?

Sennheiser HD25-1-II has a similar sound sig, according to a guy at my local shop. Beyerdynamic DT770 might be to your liking too, I rather enjoy my friend's pair; just make sure you get the 32 ohm if you will be using with a portable source. ATH-M50s are v-shaped but IMO they aren't quite as exciting as the TF10, they are a studio headphone so they wont be as colored. But they are easy to find so maybe give it a shot.

If you are shooting higher, Ultrasone 900Pro have a v shaped sig, but its more pronouncedly v-shaped than the TF10s. I've only heard them once though so that's from memory. If you want something open, the DT990s are very nice, but the mids are more recessed and the vocals sit further from the listener whereas TF10 vocals can be downright intimate with some tracks; this is part of my love for the TF10, its tonality might not be the most neutral or accurate, but its an overall balanced sound that doesn't overwhelm you with anything, and yet can sound positively explosive with the right tracks, while being a nice mix of forward and airy with most everything else. Personally I love them best for Infected Mushroom, but they do Amanda Palmer and other Indie stuff well enough, and even manage to sound nice with Joshua Bell playing Vivaldi's Four Seasons; the bass stays out of the way and the wide, airy, well separated stage and nice treble do justice to both harpsichord and violin. A little sheen over the harpsichord's plucked notes but nothing distasteful, I don't find it distracting and I find
Spring III to be energetic when necessary but sweet and soulful throughout.

Personally I haven't found a can that I like as much as my TF10.

Aug 9, 2012 at 4:34 PM Post #7,010 of 9,690
Quote:

Out of what I've owned, I'd nominate the following:

M50 (slight)
DT 990 (very v-shaped)
Most Grados (exaggerated mid bass, not much sub bass)

I'd avoid the M50 as most people think the TF10 is the better of the two. DT 990 requires good amplification and can be sibilant. Grados are easy to drive, but you may need to step up to a higher price bracket to get better than TF10 performance. I like the HF2/PS500 models and the SR225 and RS1 seem to be highly recommended as well.

Aug 9, 2012 at 5:15 PM Post #7,011 of 9,690
The Westone 3 is supposed to be quite V-shaped as well.

Disclaimer on the W3: the TF10 is my overall favorite pair of phones to date, and I HATED the Westone 3. Yes they are both V shaped and colored with big stages, but the presentation is entirely different, and so is the sound. The W3 has more depth than width and decent height for an IEM, whereas the TF10 is very wide for a universal IEM with less depth and height than the W3, depth is still decent but nit much height ; the W3 is more well-rounded but not as immediately impressive.

The W3 has a very immersive presentation but its sound signature and tonal balance are the opposite. The midbass is very exaggerated, not just for a BA but more than anything I have heard in relation to the rest of the spectrum, with the possible exception of the Sony XB500. There is very little subbass though, noticeably less than the TF10. The W3 tends towards sounding somewhat holographic like the SM3 but its really hard to appreciate because the midbass is so overwhelming. Honestly its what I would have expected from a high end Dr Dre Beats IEM. The sound is on the dry side with crisp treble that can be rather sibilant. The mids are recessed, vocals were consistently overpowered by the midbass in my listening. The mids and treble are crystal clear of themselves but personally I just couldn't get myself into the sound the way I like to with multi-BA soundstages with all if the midbass being delivered so up front and loud. IMO it is a very niche sound, probably not good for anything but electronic music and rap, and I personally found it very disappointing even with those. I can't recommend it when the TF10 is so much cheaper, more versatile, and comes with a replaceable cable. I'm sure for some people its the perfect IEM but I was very disappointed by it.

Aug 9, 2012 at 6:13 PM Post #7,012 of 9,690
Quote:
Disclaimer on the W3: the TF10 is my overall favorite pair of phones to date, and I HATED the Westone 3. Yes they are both V shaped and colored with big stages, but the presentation is entirely different, and so is the sound. The W3 has more depth than width and decent height for an IEM, whereas the TF10 is very wide for a universal IEM with less depth and height than the W3, depth is still decent but nit much height ; the W3 is more well-rounded but not as immediately impressive.
The W3 has a very immersive presentation but its sound signature and tonal balance are the opposite. The midbass is very exaggerated, not just for a BA but more than anything I have heard in relation to the rest of the spectrum, with the possible exception of the Sony XB500. There is very little subbass though, noticeably less than the TF10. The W3 tends towards sounding somewhat holographic like the SM3 but its really hard to appreciate because the midbass is so overwhelming. Honestly its what I would have expected from a high end Dr Dre Beats IEM. The sound is on the dry side with crisp treble that can be rather sibilant. The mids are recessed, vocals were consistently overpowered by the midbass in my listening. The mids and treble are crystal clear of themselves but personally I just couldn't get myself into the sound the way I like to with multi-BA soundstages with all if the midbass being delivered so up front and loud. IMO it is a very niche sound, probably not good for anything but electronic music and rap, and I personally found it very disappointing even with those. I can't recommend it when the TF10 is so much cheaper, more versatile, and comes with a replaceable cable. I'm sure for some people its the perfect IEM but I was very disappointed by it.

Do you have any recommendations in the headphone category?

Aug 9, 2012 at 9:17 PM Post #7,014 of 9,690
Anybody bought a triple.fi 10 from amazon recently?

It's listed as $165 there but says that "[size=small]Item may ship in non-retail packaging". Can anybody share what boxes are the triple.fi being shipped with?[/size]

Aug 9, 2012 at 9:31 PM Post #7,017 of 9,690
Thanks for the clarification , so it's basically the same as the black friday sale's. Guess I'll wait for the next sale,Amazon seems to do it annually these days.

There's refurbs going on ebay to atm for $139 One of the countrys they ship to is Asia.

Aug 9, 2012 at 9:52 PM Post #7,018 of 9,690
After reading about how peoples TF10's nozzles were braking off I didn't think mine would and they haven't, yet.  I was change the tips and as I was taking the tip off the right side I heard it crack now its still feel sturdy and I can't see the crack but its got me wondering how long be for it brakes.  If it does at least it will stop my procrastination on getting them reshelled.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back