Ultimate Ears Triple Fi 10 Thread
Jan 14, 2012 at 6:04 PM Post #5,641 of 9,690
Bagman, I find the stock TF10's are great for athletics as long as I am using foam tips.  The silicone tips get sweaty/wet and pop out, but the foam holds firm.  The over-ear wire helps, too, so replacing the cable with one that doesn't have that is bad (again, for athletic endeavors).  I'm fixing to get them re-shelled and don't know what the outcome will be for them staying in, but I figure if band members can rock out for 2+ hours under heavy lights and still keep em in, then I'll be fine.

Jan 14, 2012 at 7:36 PM Post #5,644 of 9,690

Is there any possibility for the sweat to cause problems to the IEM's or even damage them?  What are your thoughs guys? I've always wondering...
Quote:
Bagman, I find the stock TF10's are great for athletics as long as I am using foam tips.  The silicone tips get sweaty/wet and pop out, but the foam holds firm.  The over-ear wire helps, too, so replacing the cable with one that doesn't have that is bad (again, for athletic endeavors).  I'm fixing to get them re-shelled and don't know what the outcome will be for them staying in, but I figure if band members can rock out for 2+ hours under heavy lights and still keep em in, then I'll be fine.

Jan 14, 2012 at 8:12 PM Post #5,645 of 9,690
I can't imagine a situation where the sweat would leak through the foam and travel horizontally along the IEM tube far enough to contact the electronics, but I suppose anything could happen.  The skin cells of the ear (that far down the canal) don't have as high a population of sweat glands as they do sebaceous (wax) glands, which is another reason I don't see that happening.  Comply makes a special foam tip that has a wax guard built in, and that may help if you're concerned. 

Jan 14, 2012 at 8:22 PM Post #5,646 of 9,690
Interesting point.
The reason I'm wondering is because I am one of those who sweat a lot. Besides that, the TF 10's feature an uncovered whole tube/hole (filters can't prevent sweat of getting into the IEM I suppose), under the tip, so it's not that difficult for the sweat to leak through. Isn't it true?

Jan 14, 2012 at 9:05 PM Post #5,647 of 9,690
Again, remember these are sitting in your ears in a horizontal fashion.  If you lay a straw on the counter top, hold your finger over one end and pour water over the other end, water won't go in the straw.  You can even push the open end of the straw down into the water and it still won't go in because it is a sealed system and the internal pressure of the straw (or IEM) will be greater than the pressure outside, thus keeping liquids out.

One of my problems with my older SuperFi 5 is that the case (straw) is cracked in a few places so it's no longer a sealed system, so the potential for leakage is greater.  In my case, the leakage I'm concerned with is sound, not liquid.  I've never had anything get into the tube of my IEM's and the most common thing that does for most folks is just ear wax, for which most companies include a wire loop to clean that stuff out.  Also, in the case of the TripleFi 10, the port that goes into your ear actually has a diaphragm in the middle (kinda like two tubes) so that helps to block stuff.

If you sweat that much, you'll want the foam tips, and they may absorb some of that moisture.

Jan 14, 2012 at 10:21 PM Post #5,648 of 9,690

Quote:
I forgot to ask how well do they fit in your ears? As I will be running with them, and what is the sound isolation like? I really need IEM's that block out a good amount of noise.

Thanks. 

I don't know about running with Tf10's, ive read posts about people who just sit still but wear them for a long time and have issues with moisture, i find my self adjusting these constantly to get them to stay in (well they could be staying in but feels like they are constantly falling out on me)

As for isolation I know this is a TF10 thread and its a totally different sound, and yes i feel the TF10 still gives good isolation, but i recently bought a pair of ETY MC3 (MC3 is the lower end of their line up but looking to upgrade to the HF series) and never had isolation like that on Iem's EVER, there is so much its actually scary at times, they could probably pass as ear plugs even without music playing, but you have to enjoy being "ear raped" lol cause the stock triple flange tips go in VERY deep

Jan 15, 2012 at 1:05 AM Post #5,650 of 9,690
Bagman, with the correct-size tips (too small obviously won't seal and too large I've found pushes the IEM out) you should have no problem.  I'm not a runner, but mine don't come out when mountain biking and I've been on some pretty aggressive, technical trails with terrain and jumps that bottom out my suspension - I've operated a jackhammer for a few hours - and I do lots of yard work around the house all while wearing them and the only time they come out is when I stop and take them out to talk to someone, answer the phone or whatever.

I think the isolation is great - I actually HAVE used them as earplugs (crying babies on take-off/landing) without them connected to a source and while it doesn't stop the external sound completely, it definitely reduces it considerably.

But again, it all comes back to finding the correct tips to provide the best seal for YOUR ears.

Jan 15, 2012 at 1:27 AM Post #5,651 of 9,690

Quote:
The TF10s would be a terrible choice for any sort of strenuous activity like running IMO...

Agreed. I tried to go jog once with them and they kept falling out despite having a good fit & seal.

Jan 15, 2012 at 7:31 AM Post #5,652 of 9,690
I guess it depends what your ears are like. Any way it is just a bonus if I can run with them. Come to think of it I don't think I should be running with £100 earphones, as I do want them to last a while.

Jan 15, 2012 at 4:08 PM Post #5,653 of 9,690
As a fellow runner, I urge you to be careful about just how much sound you actually block out with your IEMs, if you are having to share the road/trail with other runners/cyclists.  I'd sacrifice a little noise isolation for increased awareness of what is going on around you.  A runner near hear was killed a few months ago when she turned in front of a cyclist and was hit.  There were other safety issues as well, but it was determined that her headphones were a factor.  It is the reason my Shure e2c's were retired in place of some dinky Sony ear buds.

Just putting it out there.

Jan 15, 2012 at 5:40 PM Post #5,655 of 9,690

Quote:
Yeah, I'd echo that statement.  I don't wear them while riding on the road for that very reason... can't hear cars/sirens until it's too late.

Yep its better to be safe then sorry. Then again I use my IE80s while driving but generally don't blast them so I can't hear anything. I can still hear things going on around me and I do look around a lot more since my sense of hearing is hindered a bit. I could safely use them for jogging but of course would have volume on low so I can hear everything around me. I think if anything I would just not run on crowded roads with them on and just exercise at the community college here as its much safer and on a large hill so more exercise...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back