Ultimate Ears Triple Fi 10 Thread
Dec 22, 2011 at 7:46 PM Post #5,206 of 9,690
I had an interesting moment with the TF10s.  The couple other IEMs I have all use the medium sized tips and they work for me.  I have two different sized ear holes, the right side fitting my pointer finger in, and the left side being more pinky finger sized, but I still can manage to use the same size tips.  So, I started out using the medium tips that are already on the TF10 and everything is decent.  Then I tried the included Comply tips and prefer the comfort of those over the stock tips.  Bass was better, but overall the sound was a bit muffled.  I've swapped back and forth a few times.

I laughed pretty good when someone called them the Comply mufflers, because it was true.

After a night with my Senn HD 600s I had to change something because the muffling was just too much.

I tried the small tips but that didn't work.  Back to the mediums.  Then the Comply tips, but the muffling was there again.  Heck, why not, I'll try the big ones.  Jam them in my ears and BOOM!  Fat, full bass, and no muffling or recessed midrange.  When I pull the left one out, the tip flips inside out it's in there so tight.  Comfort has not been an issue, but maybe my ears have gained some toughness and can take it, but really, this isn't uncomfortable.

Just wanted to share because this experiment has opened the door for me.

Dec 22, 2011 at 7:51 PM Post #5,207 of 9,690

Quote:
I had an interesting moment with the TF10s.  The couple other IEMs I have all use the medium sized tips and they work for me.  I have two different sized ear holes, the right side fitting my pointer finger in, and the left side being more pinky finger sized, but I still can manage to use the same size tips.  So, I started out using the medium tips that are already on the TF10 and everything is decent.  Then I tried the included Comply tips and prefer the comfort of those over the stock tips.  Bass was better, but overall the sound was a bit muffled.  I've swapped back and forth a few times.

I laughed pretty good when someone called them the Comply mufflers, because it was true.

After a night with my Senn HD 600s I had to change something because the muffling was just too much.

I tried the small tips but that didn't work.  Back to the mediums.  Then the Comply tips, but the muffling was there again.  Heck, why not, I'll try the big ones.  Jam them in my ears and BOOM!  Fat, full bass, and no muffling or recessed midrange.  When I pull the left one out, the tip flips inside out it's in there so tight.  Comfort has not been an issue, but maybe my ears have gained some toughness and can take it, but really, this isn't uncomfortable.

I also use the large comply tips. The medium wouldn't give me a seal at all :). I generally find them quite comfortable but after long usage pulling them in and out of my ear will get painful but if I just left them in my ears I could wear them all day with no pain.

Dec 22, 2011 at 8:49 PM Post #5,208 of 9,690

Quote:

yeah i really feel like fit problems are contributing to the overall sense that the tf10s have a recessed midrange.

Dec 23, 2011 at 2:27 AM Post #5,209 of 9,690
[size=small]Talking about it, trying to find the perfect fit I just bought some Sony Hybrid (ep-ex10a) tips for my TF10s because of so many good reviews. The result was a disaster:[/size]
[size=small]
- I found their inner tube too thin for the TFs so the tips "output hole" is always covering part of the TFs "output hole" which I think cannot be that good for the SQ.
- Because of the previous point I cannot get the tips go all the way inside the tube (should I try really hard?)
- The tips were so comfortable (this looks positive, right?) that I inserted them really deep in my ear canal trying to find good isolation. The result: When I took the TFs out, the tip got stuck inside and when I tried to take it out manually (it seemed feasible) I inserted it deeper so I ended in a hospital as nobody could took it out for me... Of course, it was nothing serious and the doctor did the trick in 30s. but the experience was not that good.

What am I doing wrong?
[/size]

Dec 23, 2011 at 2:32 AM Post #5,210 of 9,690

Quote:
[size=small]Talking about it, trying to find the perfect fit I just bought some Sony Hybrid (ep-ex10a) tips for my TF10s because of so many good reviews. The result was a disaster:[/size]
[size=small]
- I found their inner tube too thin for the TFs so the tips "output hole" is always covering part of the TFs "output hole" which I think cannot be that good for the SQ.
- Because of the previous point I cannot get the tips go all the way inside the tube (should I try really hard?)
- The tips were so comfortable (this looks positive, right?) that I inserted them really deep in my ear canal trying to find good isolation. The result: When I took the TFs out, the tip got stuck inside and when I tried to take it out manually (it seemed feasible) I inserted it deeper so I ended in a hospital as nobody could took it out for me... Of course, it was nothing serious and the doctor did the trick in 30s. but the experience was not that good.

What am I doing wrong?
[/size]

The hybrids can be a bit of a PITA to get onto the housing but its doable. Just have some patience. Or you can be like me and use some chop stick to stretch out the inner tubing of the Hybrid tip and that should make it easier to get them onto the TF10. Although the hybrids were quite comfortable I still found the stock large tips to work best in my case.

Dec 23, 2011 at 3:10 AM Post #5,211 of 9,690
Thanks for the tip lee730, I will try again later and let you know if the result was good or hospital bad. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 23, 2011 at 5:07 AM Post #5,213 of 9,690

[size=small] Following your advice I ended up like this: [/size]
[size=small]  [/size]
[size=small] [/size]
[size=small]  [/size]
[size=small] Still it does not hurt more than the TF10s inside my ears...  Just joking, lol, I blended the hybrid tips tube a little bit with a pen like you do with the chopsticks and I was able to insert the tips properly and apparently safe. With that and the flip-flop I can insert them deep into my ear canals but I still do not find the total isolation that I am looking for. I will try using large comply tips or comply-inside-silicon modded tips.[/size]
[size=small]  [/size]
[size=small] Thanks again![/size]

Dec 24, 2011 at 6:09 AM Post #5,214 of 9,690
heyhey I put on a pair of medium sony hybrids (supplied with the xba-4) on my tf10s and now they won't come off o.O I'm afraid that if I pull to hard on them the transparent blue housing on the tf10s will come off... HELP!

Dec 24, 2011 at 10:11 AM Post #5,215 of 9,690
When I take the sony hybrids out, I normally use my nails to pinch at the bottom most part and go around in circles until I successfully lift the hybrids up from the bottom of the bore by a gap. Then a bit more of pulling movement and the tips would come off.

Quote:
heyhey I put on a pair of medium sony hybrids (supplied with the xba-4) on my tf10s and now they won't come off o.O I'm afraid that if I pull to hard on them the transparent blue housing on the tf10s will come off... HELP!

Dec 24, 2011 at 10:27 AM Post #5,216 of 9,690

Quote:
^ That's why I bought an iriver E300 over something like the iaudio 10. Besides the fact I wanted a tactile player for sports(shortcut keys and fitness mode), I always thought the Cowon EQ is very trial and error. Many times you get an artificial sound or off in a way that bothers a bit more than other players. My Silver cabled TF would be even more able to pick that up.

Cowon will reward you when you get it right but it sounds like it will be a while before you find it. Try, try, and try some more!  It should come. 

Actually reverted back to no eq (buying the J3 over the Fuze makes so much sense now!) and found I prefer it over the Eq presets built in and the ones I googled my way to. Kind of odd considering how I thought that preset BBE+ Headphone 2 was objectively superior in every way shape and for to no eq at first, guess opinions change.
I'll probably give Eqing another go later on but I'm finding more of a liking to the TF10s now overall and don't feel as much of a need to Eq.

Dec 25, 2011 at 6:02 AM Post #5,217 of 9,690
This could be because the TF10s are more on the balanced side although they aren't necessarily "balanced", just more in that direction.

Quote:
Actually reverted back to no eq (buying the J3 over the Fuze makes so much sense now!) and found I prefer it over the Eq presets built in and the ones I googled my way to. Kind of odd considering how I thought that preset BBE+ Headphone 2 was objectively superior in every way shape and for to no eq at first, guess opinions change.
I'll probably give Eqing another go later on but I'm finding more of a liking to the TF10s now overall and don't feel as much of a need to Eq.

Dec 25, 2011 at 6:26 AM Post #5,218 of 9,690
Amazon.co.uk have the triplefi10 pro in stock for £109.00.  That's pretty much the cheapest in the uk atm. 

Merry Christmas

Dec 25, 2011 at 11:28 AM Post #5,219 of 9,690
Hmmm, listening to mine now, Christmas present :)
I'm seriously, seriously impressed. I got them in the $95 deal, an absolute steal. But even at a higher price, I would be impressed. What genres do you guys think best suit the Triple Fi's? They have me falling in love with alt rock all over again :p (I had migrated off to rap and electronic/dubstep)
Another thing is, I'm really not that disappointed with the instrument separation. I don't know if I'm listening for the wrong things however, could someone please post a link to a song that would benefit from great instrument separation so that I can give it a listen?

Dec 25, 2011 at 12:22 PM Post #5,220 of 9,690

Quote:
Hmmm, listening to mine now, Christmas present :)
I'm seriously, seriously impressed. I got them in the $95 deal, an absolute steal. But even at a higher price, I would be impressed. What genres do you guys think best suit the Triple Fi's? They have me falling in love with alt rock all over again :p (I had migrated off to rap and electronic/dubstep)
Another thing is, I'm really not that disappointed with the instrument separation. I don't know if I'm listening for the wrong things however, could someone please post a link to a song that would benefit from great instrument separation so that I can give it a listen?

If that trait was most important, TF10 is not really suited for that.  A dedicated stage monitor like UM3X is more geared for that.  Tf 10 is a bit more about fun with a generally large soundstage but not neccesarily about instrument separation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back