Ultimate Ears Triple Fi 10 Thread
Mar 29, 2011 at 6:33 AM Post #3,647 of 9,690

Quote:
finally got a pair of tf10's today from the buy/sell boards...very impressed...actually more than I thought I'd be. And I seem to be one of the lucky ones that gets a good fit with stock silicone tips and with hybrids. While the ergonomics are indeed strange and I hope some designer was fired for it, they don't cause me any pain and are fine comfort wise. The sound is very impressive...they are actually what I hoped my w3's would be. Soundstage is quite nice as well. The cord does suck though...might have to buy one of the jaben westone knock offs. But first impressions of the sound is very very positive.

As I understand it, Jerry designed all the headphones till 07 of which Triple.fi 10 was one, so I doubt he'd fire himself! Although that isn't to say he was the sole designer, maybe some else designed the bulky enclosure...

Mar 29, 2011 at 7:41 AM Post #3,648 of 9,690

Quote:
Guys, I needs me some convincin'. I can get a pair of these for $220AUD shipped, which is very good for a triple driver IEM, but I'm seriously put off by the notorious build quality issues that seem to follow the TF10s everywhere. I will baby the crap out of them, but it's still a bit of a worry for me. It's the only thing stopping me from taking the plunge!

Look around, you should be able to get it around $180AUD

Mar 29, 2011 at 7:54 AM Post #3,649 of 9,690

Quote:
the build quality is strong, its a design that's lasted since 06/07. The wires are replaceable. I'd worry more about comfort and fit rather than it breaking!

Good to hear. And thanks for the reply. Having heard some sobering tales about the TF10's build quality, I was somewhat concerned, but I guess you could say the same for most IEMs. Fit has never really been an issue for me; I'm sure I'll find a seal easily enough. How have yours held up personally, illquid?

Mar 29, 2011 at 11:04 AM Post #3,651 of 9,690
straight jacked wire failed at the connector as it doesn't take bending very well and I used to wrap it around my DAP with it plugged in. the L jack replacement cable solved this issue and looks better too, tempted to put pics up but no accessible currently (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ultimate-Ears-replacement-Triple-fi-earphones/dp/B001343L2G).

The iem enclosure itself is very sold, its one cuboid shaped enclosure, you'd struggle to break through normal use. There are no bits hanging off, no real holes other than the bores where the sound comes out. I don't see where this claim of build quality issues resides, outside of the cable, which is easily replaceable and inexpensive. I personally don't buy into the cable upgrade improving SQ and the replacement ones are cheap (although about the price of a pair of low end sennheisers, so all in context I suppose).

Yes hanging down is fine for me as discussed on previous page. I prefer it

Mar 30, 2011 at 9:34 AM Post #3,652 of 9,690

Quote:
straight jacked wire failed at the connector as it doesn't take bending very well and I used to wrap it around my DAP with it plugged in. the L jack replacement cable solved this issue and looks better too, tempted to put pics up but no accessible currently (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ultimate-Ears-replacement-Triple-fi-earphones/dp/B001343L2G).

The iem enclosure itself is very sold, its one cuboid shaped enclosure, you'd struggle to break through normal use. There are no bits hanging off, no real holes other than the bores where the sound comes out. I don't see where this claim of build quality issues resides, outside of the cable, which is easily replaceable and inexpensive. I personally don't buy into the cable upgrade improving SQ and the replacement ones are cheap (although about the price of a pair of low end sennheisers, so all in context I suppose).

Yes hanging down is fine for me as discussed on previous page. I prefer it

Much thanks, illquid. I'll take your word for it. If I get a pair, I might just have to designate my Turbines as my traveling set and baby the TF10s at home.

In terms of SQ, how do the TF10s compare to the UE700s? I owned a pair of 700s for about a year. I found the sound very appealing; great detail and punchy bass.

Mar 30, 2011 at 11:13 AM Post #3,653 of 9,690
Doing the flip mod
Putting left cable on right IEM
And right cable on left IEM

Wouldn't that change the left/right stereo image? So what was on left ear now goes to right?

That I would not want as I want to hear the music the way it was mixed , not vice-versa

Thanks in advance for the answer

Mar 30, 2011 at 11:19 AM Post #3,654 of 9,690
Doing the flip mod
Putting left cable on right IEM
And right cable on left IEM

Wouldn't that change the left/right stereo image? So what was on left ear now goes to right?

That I would not want as I want to hear the music the way it was mixed , not vice-versa

Thanks in advance for the answer

I think the point of the flip mod is to swap the channels so you can switch which side goes in which ear so it fits better

Mar 30, 2011 at 11:56 AM Post #3,655 of 9,690
The flip mod is basically swapping the housings. That means the right housing goes to the left cable and left housing to right cable. When you put them on the right housing that is on the left cable goes in your left ear and the other on your right. This way the fit is better and doesn't stick out as much but doesnt affect L/R or anything.

Mar 30, 2011 at 2:52 PM Post #3,658 of 9,690
I recently purcased a set of these earphones and must say that I am very impressed.  I also have the ER•4 MicroPro and the Westone 2 and find the tonal balance superior.  They are uncoloured and have nice bass response.  The high end is reminicant of high end speakers and headphones and there is nice punch in the midrange. The only issue I have is  with the fit - they are a little sloppy in my ears.  However, the ear insert I am using is a bit too big and a smaller one may be just right.  Also should mention that I purchased a set on ebay for $175.00 and that is $75 less than the others.  Better sound for less money.

Mar 30, 2011 at 5:28 PM Post #3,660 of 9,690
I got my TF10s about 2 months ago for $140 new off ebay. They are absolutely amazing. ive prolly got about 500 hrs on them already.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back