Ultimate Ears Triple Fi 10 Thread
Jan 26, 2010 at 4:42 PM Post #2,897 of 9,690
Quote:

Originally Posted by dejainc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What promo was this? I looked on Amazon and the pros were all like close to 400bucks.

Does that price seem a bit too cheap for pros?

Normally don't buy this stuff off eBay so a bit weary about it ><

Amazon and Logitech held a brief $99 sale for TF10 Pros in November, which is why there are so many low-priced Trips on ebay and Amazon marketplace. Little doubt they are real.

Jan 26, 2010 at 10:42 PM Post #2,898 of 9,690
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Amazon and Logitech held a brief $99 sale for TF10 Pros in November, which is why there are so many low-priced Trips on ebay and Amazon marketplace. Little doubt they are real.

Woha thats nice... looks like ill be bidding on that one then. Thanks

Jan 27, 2010 at 6:13 AM Post #2,899 of 9,690
Quote:

Actually December 4th was the sale.

Jan 27, 2010 at 6:15 AM Post #2,900 of 9,690
Quote:

From what i gather no one has reported here of fake or clone triplefi's. eBay Seems safe to me.

Jan 28, 2010 at 12:06 AM Post #2,901 of 9,690
Well, since asking here about what sort of IEMs would be best for me I decided to go for the TF10s. I ended up getting a pair of TF10vi's because they're intended for use on my iPhone.

The sound is very good. Warm tone, though I found it rolled off at the higher end. However, after adjusting my EQ -- now that I can really hear the difference between them -- it sounds much nicer. The mids are still ever-so-slightly aggressive, but I can live with that; the iPhone's EQ does let me tone that down with a preset, but that preset also rolls off the highs, so I'll take the slightly punchy mids as the better compromise.

But music sounds so much better now. Instrumentation is much more distinct now. Trance still sounds nice and punchy, though the bass isn't quite as boomy. But what it lacks in boom it makes up for in definition and tighter control, and the separate drivers allow both ends of the spectrum to co-exist very nicely. Rock and pop sounded particularly nice. Love and Rockets' Ball of Confusion was crisp and well-defined with nice bass and clear highs. Here, the slight boost in the mids actually sounded better.

The control button of the vi's was a nice surprise, as I wasn't expecting full iPhone/iPod compatibility. But it's there, and functions exactly like the latest Shuffle, with single-click to start/stop, double-click for next track, and triple-click for previous track. It even supports the long press to activate the iPhone's voice control, which is great.

They do stick out my ears at a bit of an odd angle, and they're longer than any I've owned, so that's going to take some getting used to. I actually find the wire strain reliefs a little annoying. They're comfortable, but I'm used to just wrapping the cord around my ear and inserting; the wire here needs to be molded around my ear each time I put them on. I can get used to that too.

I was surprised to find that I can use the silicon tips, since ordinarily I can't wear those as they slip out. But these fit quite nicely -- and more surprisingly, the medium size fit best. I'm probably going to stick with the foam though, and I'll be ordering more to have as spares. I noticed Comply have ones with acoustically transparent wax guards now, which might be a good idea to get, as the ports on these sit uncomfortably close to the front of the tips.

Overall I'm very happy with the TF10s -- and after my bitter disappointment with the Shure SE420s, I am particularly thankful that I was able to snag these cheaper.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 28, 2010 at 12:16 AM Post #2,902 of 9,690
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mindfield /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The mids are still ever-so-slightly aggressive, but I can live with that; the iPhone's EQ does let me tone that down with a preset, but that preset also rolls off the highs, so I'll take the slightly punchy mids as the better compromise.

That's interesting. Most of the time when the TF10's mids are being described its called recessed and not aggressive. My ears hear them slightly recessed but not as much as most people make them out to be.

Also, with the fit of the TF10 you can switch the left and right earpieces to make it more flush. However if the fit is fine with them and its just how much it sticks out I wouldn't bother unless it really bothers you.

Jan 28, 2010 at 12:20 PM Post #2,903 of 9,690
Quote:

Originally Posted by rawrster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's interesting. Most of the time when the TF10's mids are being described its called recessed and not aggressive. My ears hear them slightly recessed but not as much as most people make them out to be.

Also, with the fit of the TF10 you can switch the left and right earpieces to make it more flush. However if the fit is fine with them and its just how much it sticks out I wouldn't bother unless it really bothers you.

I found them recessed compared to, say, the Shure SE420s, but compared to the JVC Marshmallows I've been using between the old Shure E3Cs I accidentally killed and the SE420s I hoped would replace them, the mids are just slightly more aggressive. If I had to describe them in terms of how you'd set a 10-band EQ, the Marshmallows sound more like they start at +15 (of 30) in the lows, dipping toward -10 at the mids and back up to +15 in the highs, while the TF10s sound more like +12, -10, +16; slightly lesser (but much more controlled and defined) bass, more forward mids, and crisper highs. Now, this is using the "Dance" preset on the iPhone, which gives the best sound of the iPhone's available presets when using the TF10s, while the Marshmallows sounded better using the Electronic or Rap presets, as the Dance preset gave a little too much mid and the highs started spitting on the Marshmallows.

The fit feels fine with the TF10s -- they're comfortable. The only reason the amount they stick out is an issue with me is because it's winter and my hat doesn't fit over them without bending them at an odd angle in my ears. I can deal with that for the most part, and it won't be a problem outside of winter.

Jan 28, 2010 at 2:33 PM Post #2,904 of 9,690
Quote:

Originally Posted by rawrster /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I agree - slightly recessed mids and definitely not aggressive.

Jan 28, 2010 at 5:56 PM Post #2,905 of 9,690
How can I salvage my TF10's that have a weakening wire?

The left ear has started to go out in my TF10's. I heard there was someone who would take your TF10's and turn them into a custom mold for around $80. True? If so, maybe in the process it could fix my wire problem?

Jan 28, 2010 at 6:34 PM Post #2,906 of 9,690
Quote:

Originally Posted by Orlando /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How can I salvage my TF10's that have a weakening wire?

The left ear has started to go out in my TF10's. I heard there was someone who would take your TF10's and turn them into a custom mold for around $80. True? If so, maybe in the process it could fix my wire problem?

The wires are plugged into the IEMs, just get a new one.

Jan 29, 2010 at 2:50 AM Post #2,907 of 9,690
Just got mine in the mail today, pretty impressed with the sound. Almost sound as good as my Beyers. ALMOST. Can't believe something that sounds like this was only 150 bucks off the 'bay.

However, I am NOT impressed with the fit. My Super.fi 5s (non Pros) were so light and felt like heaven with that light, soft silicon tip. These are the old UE tips that could be used as torture devices. Heading to Best buy in the morning to get a pack of the sony hybrid tips, see if that helps any. I can live with the UE medium tips, but ugh. I'd rather not.

pics!

4312692618_e16e8deb1c.jpg

4312695500_285694d737.jpg

4312896680_20343308e5.jpg

Jan 29, 2010 at 3:19 AM Post #2,908 of 9,690
Quote:

Originally Posted by cfull /img/forum/go_quote.gif
4312692618_e16e8deb1c.jpg

I wish mine came in that box.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back