Ultimate Ears Triple Fi 10 Thread
Jan 3, 2010 at 1:08 AM Post #2,611 of 9,690
Quote:

Originally Posted by RockinCannoisseur /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i concur the tx tips were great with the tpfi 10, alot more comfy and still super quiet,, u loose a little punch but not a whole lot

Did you read my post? I said the Comply T-500 were terrible, and I was interested in trying the TX-500 tips but I couldn't see myself shelling out 20 bucks for them when the T-500 were so bad.

Jan 3, 2010 at 2:01 AM Post #2,612 of 9,690
Quote:

Originally Posted by RockinCannoisseur /img/forum/go_quote.gif
id love to hear if anyone's tpfi10 got better with burn, since ive been told they dont need burn, well im gonna have to sort of disagree with ya on that, mine did get better, not as much as other iem's, but an improvement none the less, the highs evened more and were just more liquid, and the bass got better, and punch more refined, not by a large margin by any means, ...

burn in helped with mine. i believe that the balanced armature doesn't burn in but the diaphragm that the BA is connected to does. the BA doesn't actually produce the sound; it moves a diaphragm that produces the sound, although it's not the same type of diaphragm as a dynamic. wiki
biggrin.gif

File:Bal Arm1.JPG - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jan 3, 2010 at 3:29 AM Post #2,613 of 9,690
To me it was a very small change, that I could attribute to my mind and ears getting used to the sound.

Jan 3, 2010 at 3:32 AM Post #2,614 of 9,690
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jodiuh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just can't believe it's 2010 and we still don't have FLAC/gapless/fade in&out/etc across all DAPs, especially Sony w/ its wicked X10xx player.

You know, seriously. One reason why I like to carry my entire library is because taking the time to load an album every other day or whenever onto a limited capacity player is a relatively slow process. I hate to harken back to the good ol' days of portable CD players, but all we had to do was grab a stack of CDs and be out the door. Loading and unloading albums off an mp3 player just isn't as fast. (I mean, it's not like it takes forever or anything, but compared to the grabbing of CDs ....)

Jan 3, 2010 at 3:45 AM Post #2,615 of 9,690
Well, I guess if you want to carry around a wallet of MicroSD cards, you could always do that?

Jan 4, 2010 at 3:20 AM Post #2,616 of 9,690
Hi folks,

I, like quite a few of you, picked up a pair of TF10s during the great Amazon sale of 2009. I'm a little concerned that they may be having trouble playing some frequencies though. In one track in particular (Diane, by Guster), I notice some static noise in my left earbud about four seconds into the song. The static is rhythmic with the bass and lasts for 10 or 15 seconds. Since my previous IEMs before the TF10s were a pair of ADDIEM and ER6i's, neither of which have nearly the same range of bass, I haven't been able to reproduce the static with either of them.

I know that there's a good chance that the TF10s just give a much more accurate reproduction of my source, and the problem is with the track, not the headphones. But it could be the other way around. Back on pages 69-71 of the thread I know some other members went through the same thing.

Have people recently had any similar experiences? I'm wondering how much the TF10s are either (a) failing or (b) brining out the flaws in people's libraries.

Thanks for the help/advice. Especially to Jodiuh who's been conversing with me about this over email.

Jan 4, 2010 at 4:11 AM Post #2,617 of 9,690
For me, these are quite a step up from the Etymotic ER6i's. I did spend a little time w/ the Headdirect RE0's and their vocals were liquid smooth. But being my first triple driver headphone, I'm not used to have such distinction between the various hoos and hahs. The comply's seem to mask most of the TF10's true signature in my ears, but the silicon's and Sony's hybrids bring out EVERYTHING in a track. I'm had been going through a range of mostly 320Kbps MP3's and had to determine if...

1. TF10's are broke
2. MP3's no longer cut the mustard
3. Some tracks and recordings just flat out suck

I've now had them for a week or two and can say wo/ a doubt, these things are 100% fine and it's all about the tracks or the MP3's lossy "digital" fuzz coming through. 1 track or actually album that freaked me out was "So What" by Pink. About 2 to 2 1/2 minutes in there's a wacky noise that sounds like a headphone driver getting blown to bits. I could swear I'd never heard it before and started freaking out. I got up the courage to put my Beyer's on through an amp and their it was! That noise, that messed up random noise! Only it wasn't nearly as distinct as w/ the TF10's.

I've yet to do an MP3 vs FLAC challenge yet and frankly don't want to. I'm finding there's just a rule of 3 when it comes to listening on my TF10's...

1/3 of the tracks are ok, pretty good
1/3 of the tracks have a "veil" or illicit "wrong" noises
1/3 of the tracks leave me filling the divot I just put in my floor w/ my jaw slamming into it @ Usaine Bolt speeds

So yeah, that's my impression thus far. Also, I can't put the silicon's/hybrid's in too far or everything gets muddy. They need to be inserted, then pulled back just before they're about to pop out. I find that gives me those piercing highs that lift the eyebrows wo/ holding anything back.

Jan 4, 2010 at 4:38 AM Post #2,618 of 9,690
If you guys have iPods you should convert your FLAC music to Apple Lossless. Lossless is lossless, so converting a lossless format to another lossless format is still lossless. Lossless, there I broke my record of saying lossless.

Jan 4, 2010 at 6:03 AM Post #2,622 of 9,690
Quote:

Originally Posted by LoganT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Honestly guys, Apple Lossless. The file sizes are basically the same as well.

For the future, I'll certainly stick with Apple Lossless. But it's really tough trying to figure out if the crap I hear in my current collection is a result of faulty TF10s or files. Especially when my other headphones aren't of the same quality, so I can't hear the same problems.

Jan 4, 2010 at 7:56 AM Post #2,623 of 9,690
Are any of the four Sony hybrids somewhere beween the UE Mediums and Larges? My problem (along with my Super.fi 3) is that the large is slightly to big for my right ear and the medium is just too small.

Or maybe there is an alternative to the Sonys that fit what I need? I'd rather not have to go with comply; I never liked the sound they produced.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back