Ultimate Ears Triple Fi 10 Thread
Dec 16, 2009 at 6:52 PM Post #2,419 of 9,690
I've broken 3 IEMs so far: 1x E3c, 2x SF5Pro. The E3c broke when I was changing tips. The nozzle snapped off. One SF5Pro broke because I stepped on it (with shoes on a hard floor) by accident. I had it draped over my neck and it fell off without me knowing. The other SF5Pro broke mysteriously in my backpack but my guess is that the monitor was caught on something and when tugging at the cord to pull it out of the bag, too much stress was put on it which cracked the cable/monitor junction. All 3 times I would say are my fault.

Dec 16, 2009 at 7:14 PM Post #2,420 of 9,690
I'm not judging anyone and I apologize if that sounded snarky.

I'll throw around my sportapros or some other cheap cans, but something relatively breakable that costs $400 either gets treated with kid gloves by me or has breakage insurance on it like my cellphone.

Dec 16, 2009 at 8:09 PM Post #2,421 of 9,690
If I'm paying a lot for an item, its for both build quality and performance.

But this is all kinda off topic. When I had them, I really liked the sound and I had no problem with fit. I hope I get them back soon.

Dec 16, 2009 at 11:29 PM Post #2,422 of 9,690
Here, I’ll get this back on topic. Now that I’ve had these iems for just over a week I’ve noticed some things that might be of interest. I like the fact that they are easy to get in (because of the comply tips) and they’re easy to get out because of the large size and how far they protrude. They don’t go in too deep, they seem to prefer hanging at the ear canal entrance. That alone should help with anyone that is concerned with ear wax compaction; you should be. I treat my ears to a warm water bath once a week after my doctor told me I had some compaction. Yesterday I wanted to clean the comply tips and dropped them in a solution of Hydrogen peroxide and water in a 50/50 mix. Pressing down you can see the air coming through the foam, squeeze out the excess and then dry. They look and feel just like the new ones that are unused in the wrapper. I ordered some black tx500s and they should arrive next week. The flip mod doesn’t work for me; they fit and sound great with wires above and around the ear. I hope you all are enjoying them. I’m sure the amazon buy will become something of a legend around here. While I was waiting for delivery ( I hate to wait too.) I read this entire thread and a few others that came to mind like the custom one. I’m looking forward to reading some new ones there and here about this phone.

Dec 18, 2009 at 2:34 AM Post #2,423 of 9,690
I was ready to write these earphones off until I tried the large tips. It's amazing how much the sound changes once a good seal is obtained. The earphones kept slipping out so I tried the comply foam tips and now I have comfort and good sound.

Dec 18, 2009 at 5:42 AM Post #2,424 of 9,690
It definitely was flip-flop mod that made these stay in my ears.

After 5 days listening only to TF's, they really have grown on me. Initially that rather recessed mids bothered me a bit but now I think I'm used to it. Thought about EQ'ing but I don't see the point any more. Oh the treble... I didn't realize I would enjoy clear highs this much. Cymbals seem to be always present... hehe.

At the moment I feel that they really are worth $300. At a stupendous price of $99... looking back, I feel very stupid for waiting for 1/2 hour before pulling the trigger.

Dec 18, 2009 at 4:38 PM Post #2,425 of 9,690
guys, ill be receiving my triple.fi from usa...

i also be receiving a set of Complys...

should i buy a ultracompact amp like IBASSO T3?

my source is iPhone 3Gs... TIA

Dec 18, 2009 at 10:33 PM Post #2,426 of 9,690
For those who find them hard to get to stay put in their ears (like I do), if you happen to have Sennheiser IE series too, try the bi-flange tips from those. I'm using the larges, and they're awesome with the TF10's. Funny, I like the UE single flange silicone tips on the IE8's best. Is it opposite day or something??

Dec 19, 2009 at 2:52 AM Post #2,427 of 9,690
I recently got mine and had a chance to listen to them tonight for quite some time. I can see how the fit is difficult, I think the extra stiff cable towards the IEMs themselves gets in the way of them sitting properly and make them want to pull out (like the IE8 earhooks).

These babies are made for the large "eared" portion of the population. I'm 38 years old, 5'11" with normal sized ears, but need to use the small pads.

After playing a while with them, I figured out how they best worked for me and then...wow. Very impressive bass (next to the IE8s, my favourite) and the highs are quite sparkly (like the W3s). Awesome detail and I'm happy so far.

I do still like the SE530 mids the best though...Anyway, these are my initial impressions!
ksc75smile.gif

Dec 19, 2009 at 4:11 AM Post #2,430 of 9,690
Quote:

Originally Posted by Canman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was ready to write these earphones off until I tried the large tips. It's amazing how much the sound changes once a good seal is obtained. The earphones kept slipping out so I tried the comply foam tips and now I have comfort and good sound.

I see that you now have the JH13 PRO. Would you care to comment about the similarities and differences in the sound signatures of these phones, given that the designer of both is Jerry Harvey?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back