Ultimate Ears Triple Fi 10 Thread
Dec 19, 2009 at 4:28 AM Post #2,431 of 9,690
How harsh is the treble with these? I am thinking of picking up a pair but am concerned they will be to harsh for me, I have a pair of AD900 that I really like but am finding to fatiguing due to the treble. Are these harsh like the my AD900 or Grado's?

Dec 19, 2009 at 5:20 AM Post #2,432 of 9,690
Quote:

Originally Posted by dweaver /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How harsh is the treble with these? I am thinking of picking up a pair but am concerned they will be to harsh for me, I have a pair of AD900 that I really like but am finding to fatiguing due to the treble. Are these harsh like the my AD900 or Grado's?

I know what you mean by harsh highs (I used to own Grado SR325is headphones), these are nothing like that. The highs don't seem as rolled off as the SE530s, but they do not make me cringe like the SR325s in any way.

Hope this helps.

Dec 19, 2009 at 8:00 AM Post #2,433 of 9,690
Thats does help Macedonianhero, btw I see you have the IE8 as well, which do you prefer and which one has the better soundstage? I ask because I have the CKS70 which I am really liking due to it's bass and sound stage but would appreciate more treble just not harsh treble and am wondering if I should be going for the IE8 versus getting the TF10 and having them custom molded.

Dec 19, 2009 at 3:03 PM Post #2,434 of 9,690
^ I'm not MacedonianHero. I'm not anyone's hero really but I can say that the highs of the SE530 are rolled-off to my ears and the TF10's are not at all. They extend noticeably more. I have the IE8 as well. I like this phone, however it presents music quite differently from the TF10. The bass of the IE8 dominates the overall sound signature more than the TF10. The TF10's bass is more tightly defined. The highs of the IE8 extend nicely but they are not as prominent as the TF10's. Instrument separation and stereo panning are more noticeable with the TF10 than it is with the IE8. Both have spacious soundstages. The IE8 is larger but the TF10 is no slouch in this area either. The IE8 has a more relaxed presentation but that doesn't make the TF10 strident by any means, and definitely not like a Grado. All in my opinion of course.

Dec 19, 2009 at 3:05 PM Post #2,435 of 9,690
Keep in mind these earphones are both relatively new to me but I'll give it a try. I would say there is some similarity in TF10 and JH13 but at this point its easier to tell you the differences. The TF10 paints a convincing picture of the music while the JH13 presents a transparent window into the music. The JH13's transparency is partially due to its well integrated frequency balance. The TF10 on the other hand has some noticeable deficiencies in direct comparison - bass lacks some detail and texture, mids are a bit laid back compared to bass and treble, and treble may be a touch bright (perhaps this is the case only because the mids are laid back). The JH13 has a more 3 dimensional quality but the TF10 has very good separation for an IEM.

It may seem like I'm ripping on the TF10, but IMO these are the differences between a very good headphone and a great headphone. The JH13 benefits from newer driver technology and a no compromise design. Fit also plays a part here as different tips and seal on the TF10 affect the sound. The JH13 is easier as far as fit goes - more of a set it and forget it experience. However I will have to send the left side back for a refit. The left side doesn't quite sit right. I do get a seal but the protrusion that fits into the concha (below the antihelix) seems to be too large to lock into place.

Quote:

Originally Posted by iponderous /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I see that you now have the JH13 PRO. Would you care to comment about the similarities and differences in the sound signatures of these phones, given that the designer of both is Jerry Harvey?

Dec 19, 2009 at 3:21 PM Post #2,436 of 9,690
^ Thanks Canman. I was interested to see if there is a Jerry Harvey "house sound" and whether there is any similarity between the TF10 and the JH13 PRO. When I first listened to the TF10, I was impressed by its performance. I thought well if Jerry Harvey designed these, how good must the JH13 PRO's sound?

It comes as no surprise that the JH13 PRO is a significant improvement over the TF10, and so it should be.

Dec 19, 2009 at 5:07 PM Post #2,437 of 9,690
Quote:

Originally Posted by dweaver /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thats does help Macedonianhero, btw I see you have the IE8 as well, which do you prefer and which one has the better soundstage? I ask because I have the CKS70 which I am really liking due to it's bass and sound stage but would appreciate more treble just not harsh treble and am wondering if I should be going for the IE8 versus getting the TF10 and having them custom molded.

I think I still prefer the IE8s. They edge out the TF10s for bass, but have considerably better sound stage. I prefer the cable on the IE8, it's not as thick and cumbersome and the fit in my ears is better.

However, I don't think you could go wrong with either. Have you considered the Westone 3s? They have deep punchy bass and sparkling (not piercing) highs and have great isolation and sound (but the IE8s still win for bass and sound stage).

Cheers,
beerchug.gif

Dec 19, 2009 at 5:08 PM Post #2,438 of 9,690
Quote:

Originally Posted by iponderous /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^ I'm not MacedonianHero. I'm not anyone's hero really but I can say that the highs of the SE530 are rolled-off to my ears and the TF10's are not at all. They extend noticeably more. I have the IE8 as well. I like this phone, however it presents music quite differently from the TF10. The bass of the IE8 dominates the overall sound signature more than the TF10. The TF10's bass is more tightly defined. The highs of the IE8 extend nicely but they are not as prominent as the TF10's. Instrument separation and stereo panning are more noticeable with the TF10 than it is with the IE8. Both have spacious soundstages. The IE8 is larger but the TF10 is no slouch in this area either. The IE8 has a more relaxed presentation but that doesn't make the TF10 strident by any means, and definitely not like a Grado. All in my opinion of course.

You're my hero iponderous!
happy_face1.gif

Dec 20, 2009 at 11:27 PM Post #2,439 of 9,690
Has anyone tried both the Comply tips and shure olives? How similar/different do they sound from each other when paired with the tf10? I don't like how the tf10 sounds somewhat muffled with my Comply. So if the shure olive sound more or less the same I won't bother with the mod, as I've only have one pair of olive I'm using on my scl4, and I'm not the person who would spend $10-20 on a new pack of tips.....

Dec 21, 2009 at 2:31 AM Post #2,440 of 9,690
Quote:

Originally Posted by Canman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...mids are a bit laid back compared to bass and treble, and treble may be a touch bright (perhaps this is the case only because the mids are laid back).

Before I finally ended up with my pair of Triple.fi's I had a bit of an odyssey with with them. The pair I own now were originally a friends but he had fit problems with them. I borrowed them in them first in their stock form and felt the same about the mids and the treble. I did love the bass though which kept me coming back for more, I think I tried them at least once more after my initial listen but was still put off by the mids being a bit too recessed for my liking. That all changed when he got an older Null Audio cable for them, the mids seemed to come forward balancing things out much better. The treble seems a tad bit smoother and the bass may be tamed a smidge but that may just be a result of the mids being better balanced. Overall the change wasn't huge but enough for them to pull ahead of other IEM's I've heard. I ended up trading for them and haven't regretted it since, I listen probably at least an hour or two at work every day and they never disappoint. I've been so happy with them that I haven't even been tempted to try another universal, the only thing that's tempted me in the least is the JH13's but it will be a long time before I can afford a pair of those.

I will say one other thing about the Null Audio cable I have, it's an older version so I'm not sure if they have any similarities to the current offerings but mine is about the most unwieldy cable I've ever used, it's comfortable and the cinch at the back of the neck actually stays in but it never quite wants to completely uncoil.

Dec 21, 2009 at 3:49 AM Post #2,441 of 9,690
hmmmmm..... after having the triples for a while now, i kind of want to try the IE8's or Westone 3's for a bit more bass with more subdued highs, but i heard the IE8's don't isolate so well?

Dec 21, 2009 at 5:32 AM Post #2,442 of 9,690
Question to people who have gotten the triple fi's (or other UE headphones) replaced by logitech through warranty

Did you get a new in box replacement, or just the earphones as a replacement?

Dec 21, 2009 at 11:18 PM Post #2,444 of 9,690
Quote:

Originally Posted by jinp6301 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Question to people who have gotten the triple fi's (or other UE headphones) replaced by logitech through warranty

Did you get a new in box replacement, or just the earphones as a replacement?

I've gotten two sets of SF5 Pro replaced by them. The latest one was in November of this year, and they sent me a new unopened box both times.

Dec 21, 2009 at 11:59 PM Post #2,445 of 9,690
Well, just received my $50 10TF Pros today (a day or two earlier than the second invoice date they quoted me). Only had about 10 minutes with the UEs, but my initial impressions is that they sound much much better to me than many reviews I've seen on here (i.e. they have bass presence and the mid-range is there). I still need more time with them. I was expecting far less bass, although the bass isn't as detailed as the E-Q7s or Shures. The mids aren't as detailed either, but the vocals are nice. I would describe the sound as being more brash and bit harsher than the E-Q7 or E530. With that said, I don't think they're a bad phone at all. I think I will opt to get them reshelled and customized in the near future. They are just a different sound. The E-Q7s still win out over the TF10s and E530s IMHO, although it only has one driver. They are definitely worth (and then some) the $50 I paid for them. Probably the best deal I've ever received in the high-end audio game.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back