Ultimate Ears Triple Fi 10 Thread
Sep 22, 2013 at 11:37 PM Post #8,326 of 9,690
-Both have straight RCA connectors in common, that's where all 3 of the cables ended up wearing out. I now have a cable from Ted, who posts here with a right angle connector, so far so good.

Generally, would suggest using the angled extn. cable [which comes part of TF10 kit] along with the straight 3.5mm jack after-market cables.Alternatively if we have just FiiO cables or others(straights) and an adequate knowledge/basic experience in soldering(it's not a rocket science anybody can),then we procure an angled (neutrik/viablue alike) connectors,cut the Fiio or cheap one's 3.5mm,solder the wires (carefully,no shorts among the 3 wires) with the new angled jack.good to go.

100% of the budget cable's wires(3 or 4) are enameled to avoid shorts so only the portion of wire to be soldered can be easily scrapped/tinned, no need of heat shrink or isolation whatsoever needed while soldering those 3 or 4 cables.
(PS:3 is TRS w/o mic,vol controls and 4 is TRRS for apple,android,HTC,BB device compatibility.)

but for other higher grades some manufacturers offer options to have straight/angled and brands to choose even, while ordering those cables.....

Sep 23, 2013 at 12:24 AM Post #8,327 of 9,690
  Generally, would suggest using the angled extn. cable [which comes part of TF10 kit] along with the straight 3.5mm jack after-market cables.Alternatively if we have just FiiO cables or others(straights) and an adequate knowledge/basic experience in soldering(it's not a rocket science anybody can),then we procure an angled (neutrik/viablue alike) connectors,cut the Fiio or cheap one's 3.5mm,solder the wires (carefully,no shorts among the 3 wires) with the new angled jack.good to go.

100% of the budget cable's wires(3 or 4) are enameled to avoid shorts so only the portion of wire to be soldered can be easily scrapped/tinned, no need of heat shrink or isolation whatsoever needed while soldering those 3 or 4 cables.
(PS:3 is TRS w/o mic,vol controls and 4 is TRRS for apple,android,HTC,BB device compatibility.)

but for other higher grades some manufacturers offer options to have straight/angled and brands to choose even, while ordering those cables.....

Using the angled that comes with the TF 10 might work. I detail cars, so my player is in my pocket all the time while working. That might be the reason mine all wore out in the same place. As for soldering on an angled one, well I did try and fix my first cable by soldering on a new connector. I could not do it, but mostly could of been from not having a small enough iron and my eye sight is just not what it use to be. Maybe someone else can indeed replace it. For the price I got from Ted, it was just a no brainer for me just to get a quality cable from him. I will send an email to Ted to come read here, speak with him about a cable, trust me.

Sep 23, 2013 at 2:08 AM Post #8,328 of 9,690
  I'm really happy with my Chris_Himself Hybrids for about $100.  I can hear the difference from the stock cables (especially in bass and soundstage), and build quality is quite good.

Teehee :D

Sep 23, 2013 at 7:14 AM Post #8,329 of 9,690
It has been a year since first I bought TF10, and in that 1 year period, there's already so many things that I did to my TF10. Just in short, I do cable mod and reshelled the TF10, now my TF10 is just flawless to my ear.

I hope TF10 isn't gonna extinct because it is discontinued because I like TF10 so much.

Sep 23, 2013 at 8:02 AM Post #8,330 of 9,690
I've owned two pairs at different times, each time selling them for no real reason besides using those funds to try something different in the hobby. I would own another pair as well and most likely will when I spot a good price. They do a lot right and not much wrong if the fit suits.

Sep 23, 2013 at 6:33 PM Post #8,331 of 9,690
I've owned two pairs at different times, each time selling them for no real reason besides using those funds to try something different in the hobby. I would own another pair as well and most likely will when I spot a good price. They do a lot right and not much wrong if the fit suits.

i agree, i would go back to the tf10 if i could find them for a good price. for a beat around iem

Sep 24, 2013 at 2:47 PM Post #8,332 of 9,690
S'funny. I never would've even heard of the tf10's had I not broken my sf5's. And I broke those due to wearing them to bed in the recommended Frankenstein-bolts style. Looking to upgrade I found the tf10's (for $150), and learned about 'flippin' them (from you guys here on Head-Fi:wink:. Ironic in that had I known this when I had the sf5's, I'd probably never would've gone to the tf10's! Audio god's work in mysterious ways:wink:! Now I honestly listen to them more than my 10+ yr old Senn HD600's! The tf10's aren't better, it's more due to portability, but they're definitely good enough! So to anyone that hasn't already, all I can say is FLIP 'EM!!:wink:

Sep 30, 2013 at 9:51 AM Post #8,334 of 9,690
I just received a replacement pair of TF10s and the treble response seems to be great on one side than the other, so things like hi-hats an cymbals sound like they're coming from slightly to the left. Nothing else is affected, and mids and bass are all properly centered. I tested with a known good driver on the other side and the problem persisted (and I also tested a second cable and from a different source). Is it common for treble response to be supercharged on one side on some sets? It's driving me completely nuts.

Sep 30, 2013 at 10:11 AM Post #8,335 of 9,690
  I just received a replacement pair of TF10s and the treble response seems to be great on one side than the other, so things like hi-hats an cymbals sound like they're coming from slightly to the left. Nothing else is affected, and mids and bass are all properly centered. I tested with a known good driver on the other side and the problem persisted (and I also tested a second cable and from a different source). Is it common for treble response to be supercharged on one side on some sets? It's driving me completely nuts.

Unless the recording you are listening to was recorded that way I'd say something's not right. Are the cable/pins polarities correct on both sides? That is the only thing I can think of that might possibly cause this as you have ruled out a broken high freq driver.

Sep 30, 2013 at 11:23 PM Post #8,336 of 9,690

Unless the recording you are listening to was recorded that way I'd say something's not right. Are the cable/pins polarities correct on both sides? That is the only thing I can think of that might possibly cause this as you have ruled out a broken high freq driver.

I've flip-flop modded them, but yeah, I'm fairly sure that everything is inserted correctly. I could just be going nuts, but I could swear that some songs are affected more than others. Funny thing is, I had this same issue with the UE 900s and ended up returning them because of that (and, somewhat ironically, because of the poor fit). I'm probably just going nuts.

Oct 1, 2013 at 4:56 PM Post #8,337 of 9,690

I've noticed this sometimes, but its always due to fit. Are you getting a good seal on both ears? 

Oct 3, 2013 at 4:06 PM Post #8,338 of 9,690
Soooo....I've read on this thread (way back) and elsewhere about the synergy between the C&C BH amp and the TF10's.  It was always in the back of my mind to follow through on this when the opportunity arose to pick up an amp for my TF10's.  Decided to pull the trigger on a Fiio E12 instead and received it yesterday.  HOLY SCHITT (Whoops:wink:,  I'm stunned by the improvement!  More detail, impact, depth, & overall presence, talk about making a good thing better!  Simply running it from my Ipod thru a Fiio L9 LOD(bought with the amp) to the E12 and WOW!  I'm really not into equalization at all but the bass boost is fantastic.  Subtle but adds just the right bit of heft and oomph to the total sonic picture.  Add this to the fact that this little guy easily powers my Sennheiser HD 600's (and sounds quite good!) and I'm definitely a happy camper.  Us old-school audiophiles have an expression for a fairly inexpensive piece of gear that sounds excellent also and it certainly applies to the E12; this bad boy's a GIANT-KILLA!:wink:

Oct 11, 2013 at 2:39 PM Post #8,339 of 9,690
Hi guys.. would you suggest to re-mold my TF? I've found a place to do this in Italy for approx. 165 €. I still don't know how much the ear molds will cost for me (I thought 15 to 50 €).

I'm pretty insecure... Are the sound of the remolded TF different from the normal one? There's any noticeable difference between the two?

Oct 11, 2013 at 4:04 PM Post #8,340 of 9,690
  Hi guys.. would you suggest to re-mold my TF? I've found a place to do this in Italy for approx. 165 €. I still don't know how much the ear molds will cost for me (I thought 15 to 50 €).

I'm pretty insecure... Are the sound of the remolded TF different from the normal one? There's any noticeable difference between the two?

Remold = GOOD. Sound really shouldn't change when they are fitted correctly. The positives of a remold is, you get to make them look the way you want. They are better quality over the stock TF10, you never have to worry about tips again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back