Ultimate Ears Triple Fi 10 Thread
Jun 4, 2008 at 4:27 PM Post #526 of 9,690
I'm sure it would be a straight swap for new. They're only three months old, and Superglue isn't going to cut it!

Jun 4, 2008 at 4:32 PM Post #527 of 9,690
best of luck on getting some new ones, makes me want to stop changing the tips now ,,, just incase

Jun 4, 2008 at 4:36 PM Post #528 of 9,690
you would think for the money it should be sturdier
mad.gif

Jun 4, 2008 at 5:13 PM Post #530 of 9,690
Yeah, I think the build quality is excellent. But I won't be fitting any tight tips similar to T400 again. Funny tho cos the E2c size fits easily w/ clear Flex & comes off easily too. I think my problem was the foam twisting on the core & the core not moving -hence you put a lot more pressure on twisting/pulling than you ordinarily need. A friend had the a similar experience with Shure olives -couldn't get one set off of his 530s -we got them off with pliers in the end. Wish I'd done that instead!

Live & learn,eh?

Jun 4, 2008 at 5:44 PM Post #531 of 9,690
Al4x, what was your turnaround time? From when they left you to when they were back? I'm guessing you returned them to your dealer rather than straight to UE?

Jun 4, 2008 at 6:00 PM Post #532 of 9,690
Quote:

Originally Posted by steviebee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Al4x, what was your turnaround time? From when they left you to when they were back? I'm guessing you returned them to your dealer rather than straight to UE?

no i went straight to UE, 1day for an email, postage time there (royal mail-USPS), 3 days at ue, postage time back (fedex)

about 2 weeks

Jun 5, 2008 at 12:29 AM Post #533 of 9,690
Thanks steevie... I am trying to get used to their fitting style....these things are really huge for small sized ear canals...anyway so now I am slowly but steadily getting there..to an improved comfort level...

@flavio... yes man I am chilled out now.. I was super duper frustrated when I first got them... I am a student and having spent 320 on these I was hoping atleast they will be comfortable but let me warn you they aren't or probably I was hoping a comfort level around UM1s(that was my first IEM) which is not true..

I have ordered some T500 foams hoping they will enhance tf10s fitting...

Ok leaving all the grumbling I will try to describe the sound quality of these in layman terms (I am no audiophile)

treble: very good, clean, strings hit hard..all I can say beautiful
bass: this is amazing I must say. I was under the impression that these are short on bass. No they are very tight on bass. Very punchy, tight. I can't over emphasize how beautiful their bass is.. pretty nice..
Soundstage: This is something which has certainly fallen wayyyy below my expectation. Again, here I was thinking the soundstage would be huge, similar to HFI 700s (that was the only expensive headphone I have had, the s-logic did work for me) but no, that is not true.. I really don't c a very big improvement as compared to my UM1, mind it I am saying there is an improvement but not very big.

from the following tracks

going to california, kashmir, etc etc - Led zeppe. 320 VBR
any pink floyd song....flac
beatles.....320 VBR

Pink floyd sounded best, freaking amazing, beautiful, incredible... So for new buyers If you could try them out b4 buying (I doubt it), you should try to see if they are suitable for you......

If you do buy them without auditioning and end up disappointed on the first day because of their monstrous size....chill, relax, don't curse them, or your supplier, or ultimate ears...as steevie said go slow on them give your ears some time to get used to...(probably you will adapt to the discomfort)

And one last conclusion statement....Don't try to play some 128 kbps crap on these..It will sound ****tier than you expect....seriously no kidding

Sorry for the long post, please excuse all spelling and/or grammatical errors...

biggrin.gif
Cheers
biggrin.gif

Jun 5, 2008 at 4:45 AM Post #534 of 9,690
Stevie...this was the post I made on a new thread but people post so fast here that stuff just vanishes

A lot of people (myself included) have adopted the flip flop mod for our Triple Fi's - for some of us this is the only way we can get a fit and hear the Triple Fi's as they are truly meant to sound.

Initially when I tried the flip mod and got the tips/ angles right, I was hit by the most mind blowing sound I have heard

Then I began to notice something to do with the soundstage. I am posting my observations and the usage conditions below

1) Triple Fi's worn in FF mode with L/R sign on cables pointing towards drivers. Full seal and fit. Tested on my PC and on my Cowon D2.
a) On Glenn Frey's The Heat is On, I definitely noticed a bias towards right driver in sound. The song has cymbals/ high hats which were coming only from the right
b) Prince's "Kiss" - the cymbals and high hats (and chorus) were now coming from the left ear. Voice had a slight bias to the right ear.

There are more examples but I have posted the ones where I found the differences more striking (and which I expect others might have heard). on some songs, there was no difference I could make out.

2) Then I reversed and wore them in stock mode. It's true that certain sounds are reproduced on only one channel, but the balance was much truer. I was not as conscious of an imbalance or bias.

My conclusion is that the FF Mod is amplifying the channel differences and in some cases, interfering with a balanced sound.

I would add that this difference is almost inaudible on lower end headphones like CX 300/ Sony 75 though I listened for it there also. I think I heard the slight difference there just now because I was expecting to hear it - until hearing the Triple's I was not aware of this difference. They have made my ears super-sensitive.

I hunted around head-fi for people who might have a similar perspective and I found this post on a UE-5 forum.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/2831864-post214.html

I know that while some people have reservations about FF Mod, a lot of people use it and report that it only enhances SQ

Was curious to know if others shared my experience. Also whether anyone who is lucky enough to get a perfect fit both ways, has experienced any difference when worn either way.

My knowledge of exact terms for sound is limited so please excuse me if I have made any technical mistakes!

Jun 5, 2008 at 5:44 AM Post #535 of 9,690
Quote:

Originally Posted by steviebee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oops. The right post just snapped trying to get a pesky tip off...drat & doubledrat.

Thank heavens UE has a great rep for customer service. I'm in cold turkey 'til a new pair come.

Well, cold turkey with Ety Er-4P/S so I think I'll live!

Sorry to hear that Steve, totally sucks!

Your experience has come as a warning for me - I tend to treat mine a little cavalierly (stuff them in a pouch, tug hard) because they look deceptively sturdy and not in the least fragile. I will treat them far more carefully after reading what happened to you!

Good luck with Customer Service (Tara has always replied very promptly to my queries) and hope you don't have to wait too long...

Jun 5, 2008 at 10:10 AM Post #536 of 9,690
Thanks geekchic
smily_headphones1.gif

When I get mine back I'll be checking flip v stock again -have to be different music tho! Sent UE an email yesterday soon as they broke, but nix reply so far. On UE's site they advise non-US customers to contact the dealer, so may have a chat with them today.

Nice post, western120! Glad to hear they are a little more comfortable for you. Tell us what you think of the soundstage after a few days. I always thought TF10 was good in this respect, and opened out some after a couple of days - YMMV of course, & all experiences are interesting to read
smily_headphones1.gif

You still selling/trading them?

edit\ yeah, gc, look after em! I always babied mine completely, but did do a lot of tip swapping...until I met The Tip That Would Not Budge!

double edit\ Thx for the info, Al4x....I could survive two weeks. I be a ruined man, but...
wink.gif

Jun 5, 2008 at 2:03 PM Post #537 of 9,690
thats one of the things that made me chose to pay the extra dime and get them from handheld audio in the UK insted of the US, if they broke, and i had to ship them to the US, and spend close to a month without them, i would be geniunly pissed off, especialy if i get taxed again for them,

Jun 5, 2008 at 3:27 PM Post #538 of 9,690
Bought mine in the UK too.
Dealer thinks accidental damage not strictly covered under warranty, but they say they'll happily get involved if UE agree it is warranty-able. No word yet from UE.

Jun 5, 2008 at 3:28 PM Post #539 of 9,690
well,

I just sold my beloved Atrio's to fund ''a'' new IEM.

I just placed an order for the UE triple.fi's and can't wait to get them. I've been debating about the High-end IEM's for almost 3/4 year now, but since I couldn't cut it I went with the Atrio's which served me very well in the past 3/4 year.

I had the cance to listen to the only competition last month (SE530) and didn't like them at all. Too agressive and ''screamy'' sound. Probably due to the midrange.

So I went the Triple.fi route since I found a decent deal.

I guess this calls for the classic Head-fi slogan:

''Curse you Head-fi!!!''
tongue.gif

rgds

Jun 5, 2008 at 3:30 PM Post #540 of 9,690
That'd be "Curse you, Head Fi"!
biggrin.gif

Welcome to Tripsville
smily_headphones1.gif

Edit\ and yeah, my feelings also re 530s (lol, what do I like about em? Um, good soundstage...? ) - I had to turn the volume down on those things!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back