Ultimate Ears Triple Fi 10 Thread
Jul 12, 2009 at 2:52 PM Post #2,146 of 9,690
See folks writing about amps all the time but I'm somewhat surprised I don't hear a discussion about using good DACs.

In my main audio system, I have a Lavry DA10. There's a really nice improvement when using the Triples via the Lavry when home.

It's not an insignificant improvement either IMHO. Just that one piece of hardware with the mac mini and hard drive and it's a very substantial benefit. Of course the Lavry DAC has to be plugged in to but still.

Even on songs not full range or just mp3, the sound is really greatly improved. Just wondering why more folks don't venture into that.

(Okay forgot to mention that the Lavry is plugged in to a PS Audio Premier as well, but still.)

Jul 23, 2009 at 7:33 AM Post #2,147 of 9,690
I am thinkin of selling my triple fi's. they just aren't exciting to me, i can listen to them but I don't fully "enjoy" the sound. i'm not sure what it is. i've tried all the tips, plus they get pretty uncomfortable after about 1-2 hours..
frown.gif
errr

Jul 23, 2009 at 5:49 PM Post #2,148 of 9,690
Sad to see you leave the good ship Flipple Tri, Elluzion...hope you anchor in warm waters. Tho not perhaps as blue...
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 23, 2009 at 6:46 PM Post #2,149 of 9,690
Quote:

Originally Posted by steviebee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sad to see you leave the good ship Flipple Tri, Elluzion...hope you anchor in warm waters. Tho not perhaps as blue...
smily_headphones1.gif

Haha you're funny
tongue.gif

Yes it will be sad to leave the Flipple Tri Ship
frown.gif

The only downside is I will be losing technically $90, since i bought my triple's for $300. ah. sounds bad ha

Jul 23, 2009 at 7:37 PM Post #2,150 of 9,690
So what's your next berth after Big Blue?

Possibly HMS Westone 3?
wink.gif

Jul 23, 2009 at 8:20 PM Post #2,151 of 9,690
Quote:

So what's your next berth after Big Blue?

Possibly HMS Westone 3?
wink.gif

Well.. i was thinking of going full size can, but at the same time I don't have an amp. so i'm still not sure :/ i could try that flip flop mod on the triple's ha.

but the Senn IE-8's call out to me a bit. idk i'm in a weird place XD

Jul 23, 2009 at 10:42 PM Post #2,152 of 9,690
If you haven't tried wearing Trips flipped, I'd say it's definitely worth it as an option -they're easily put back to stock in any case. I went back & forth between stock & flipped & there are some advantages to the latter:
  1. they lay flatter into your ear, thus
  2. no more neckbolt effect (if that ever bothered you)
  3. plus, easier to lie on yr side with
  4. seal can be easier to get & keep
  5. the nice radiant blue shows more!
Give it a go at least, before making your final call. Assuming of course you're sufficiently enamoured of Triple Fi presentation to do so
smily_headphones1.gif

IE8 are good, very good. Great soundstage, very deep bass, but their treble is 'hidden' compared to Triples & isolation is not of a par if that's important to you. Or you could look into the Victor HP-FX500 - superb bass, deep & low, and with a nice, bright treble. They really shine with double bass and jazzy stuff. I really love the W3's too - a very solid, musical and 'muscular' sound w/ great imaging & portayal of layers - they have really risen in my estimation over the past couple of weeks & I seem to hear more treble now (psychoacoustics eh, lol). I have all three btw, so forgive me if it seems I'm doing a sales pitch! Just biased is all
biggrin.gif

EDIT\ Fullsize: I read yr thread over in FS. A whole nuther can of worms there! And if you are truly sick of in-ear phones, well, just disregard the above. And the best of luck in your search for a big headphone. No recommendation from me as I've heard only a few FS (but I do rather like the Proline 750
wink.gif
if you want closed)

Jul 24, 2009 at 7:17 AM Post #2,154 of 9,690
Quote:

Originally Posted by Eddy Flycatcher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I heard that call as well, but every time I put them in I swear I could hear the triples call out with their much better sound sign.
bigsmile_face.gif

I sold the IE8s they´re not calling any more...

I have tried to find a full size can that comes cloes to the triple´s sound sign., but so far I have not been able to find anything.

Some people suggested the DT880 250 ohm. ( think thats the beyer model)

Jul 24, 2009 at 4:19 PM Post #2,156 of 9,690
Quote:

If you haven't tried wearing Trips flipped, I'd say it's definitely worth it as an option -they're easily put back to stock in any case. I went back & forth between stock & flipped & there are some advantages to the latter:
  1. they lay flatter into your ear, thus
  2. no more neckbolt effect (if that ever bothered you)
  3. plus, easier to lie on yr side with
  4. seal can be easier to get & keep
  5. the nice radiant blue shows more!
Give it a go at least, before making your final call. Assuming of course you're sufficiently enamoured of Triple Fi presentation to do so
smily_headphones1.gif

IE8 are good, very good. Great soundstage, very deep bass, but their treble is 'hidden' compared to Triples & isolation is not of a par if that's important to you. Or you could look into the Victor HP-FX500 - superb bass, deep & low, and with a nice, bright treble. They really shine with double bass and jazzy stuff. I really love the W3's too - a very solid, musical and 'muscular' sound w/ great imaging & portayal of layers - they have really risen in my estimation over the past couple of weeks & I seem to hear more treble now (psychoacoustics eh, lol). I have all three btw, so forgive me if it seems I'm doing a sales pitch! Just biased is all
biggrin.gif

EDIT\ Fullsize: I read yr thread over in FS. A whole nuther can of worms there! And if you are truly sick of in-ear phones, well, just disregard the above. And the best of luck in your search for a big headphone. No recommendation from me as I've heard only a few FS (but I do rather like the Proline 750
wink.gif
if you want closed)

Okay so I tried the triple fi's flipped. I got a much better isolation... sound was almost the same maybe a very very tad better, and yeah as you said they are more lush with my ear so it makes laying on your side a bit easier

Haha don't worry about the sales pitch. Yeah i'm not sure what to do, I wish that I could like borrow or try someones headphones because I swear i keep buying and selling headphones and am never fully happy (just look in my sig) I have kept all those headphones less than a month (except for a few, but still in the end it never works out). it is bad, the triple fi's have been in my collection for about a year, but I don't listen to them that much. Err.... So i don't know :/

Well I am starting to think that I don't really want full size cans because I don't want to have to deal with a stinkin amp. I just don't have the extra funds for that right now. So somehow I wanna try the Westone 3's or the Senn IE-8's...

Quote:

I heard that call as well, but every time I put them in I swear I could hear the triples call out with their much better sound sign.
bigsmile_face.gif

I sold the IE8s they´re not calling any more...

I have tried to find a full size can that comes cloes to the triple´s sound sign., but so far I have not been able to find anything.

Quote:

I have heard that the Beyers have way too much highs compared to the triples, however I do own a DT150 that´s not a bad alternative, it even has the same problems as the triples when you wear them a long time (uncomfortable)
beyersmile.png

Lol yeah the call is somewhat strong, but who knows what I will do!

Jul 24, 2009 at 4:29 PM Post #2,158 of 9,690
i shall play the temptor and suggest strongly that you give the W3 or um3x a spin...although slightly inappropriate on a tf10 appreciation thread...

Jul 24, 2009 at 4:37 PM Post #2,159 of 9,690
Quote:

Originally Posted by insomniax /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i shall play the temptor and suggest strongly that you give the W3 or um3x a spin...although slightly inappropriate on a tf10 appreciation thread...

Dear Temptor,

Thank you for your suggestion :p I may just have to. Except in order to try the UM3's,,, i have to sell my triple fi's, unless if I can borrow someones ha. that is my only dilemma with "trying" it. it's a risk lol.

P.s. (i really like your invisible amp. I have one too, i'm just more discrete about it) X)

Oh and question, i'm not up to date on the Westones,,, what is the difference between W3's and UM3X's??

Also i just wanted to add that I really like the *Sparkle* of the Triple Fi's... and they have a nice Low End, but the Mid is slightly lacking... just saying.

Jul 24, 2009 at 11:33 PM Post #2,160 of 9,690
I've heard both W3 & UM3X (I now own W3)...if I had to sum up the differences very briefly:

W3 - exciting, involving, good soundstage, slightly more urgent treble
UM3X - flat, uninvolving, little soundstage, laidback treble

However, for some folks, W3's very 'excitingness' is tiring. For others (me among them) UM3X is a bit boring and polite. And for me the soundstage is the clincher between em...Both are fine IEMs no doubt, but for me the W3 has the edge. I would like to hear UM3X again with classical/orchestral tho.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back