Ultimate Ears Triple Fi 10 Thread
Dec 27, 2008 at 3:28 AM Post #1,847 of 9,690
Well, more like wounded in action... but yeah, this sucks. I don't know if it's possible that I applied too much "twisting" force when taking them out of my ears, or what have you. The sound is still awesome though. I don't know what to expect from UE but since it's been a mere 21 days since I purchased them I pretty much expect them to send over a new pair - I don't know if they deal with Canadian repairs or not though.

Dec 27, 2008 at 3:45 AM Post #1,848 of 9,690
I twisted and yanked it hard on the tip and cable, still look and working great on me. But i do keep it in the metal case to avoid dust build up in the tip. Mine surviving about 2 months now.

BTW, i'm using Shure Olives which requires me to compress and rotate the tip and applying lots of pressure on the tip. I will be heartbroken if it fail on me..

Dec 27, 2008 at 4:08 AM Post #1,849 of 9,690
I'm also using Olives. UE tech support opens at 7AM tomorrow, so I'll be posting what happened on here around 7:15
wink.gif

Dec 27, 2008 at 10:02 AM Post #1,851 of 9,690
I was able to get a very good seal with these. I settled for large silicon eartips. To improve the isolation I tried several mods too. I have discussed them here. I have settled for Shure olive + Silicon mod as it gives me best combination of comfort and isolation. Gosh! These IEMs look odd! I hate the fact they stick out of my ears. Bit scary!!! I do not want to wear them when mischievous kids are around! LOL!!! But kind of cool looking too. I both hate and love the looks!!
I have compared them with my OK1s. I bought OK1s selling my PK1 for their canalphone option, which clearly a failure. But as an earbud OK1s are very neutral and detailed instrument. They are good for analytical type of listening.
TF10s are not at all neutral. They are fun type of IEMs. They isolate very well so that I can commute in trains without any problem. I am wearing them now as I type and I can’t hear any outside noise including the music of my home rig. I am one of those blessed ones, who can get a wonderful seal. Because of the tight seal I can really appreciate the BASS. It goes really down to sub-bass. It really gives more bass than OK1. Pretty detailed too. But not as fast and tight as OK1! I would say more quantity than quality. But it does very well with more modern kind of music. It really did well with POP, NEWAGE and JAZZ. The trebles go really high and can be little harsh sometimes with some heavy tracks. Treble is very detailed too. Now the mids! They are little laid back. Not upfront at all. I sometimes think that female and piano sounds are little laid back than my taste and not as accurately represented as OK1. TF10 has slight V shape to its Frequency curve. It is very detailed and layered too. But little congested compared to OK1. Sound-stage is not as wide as that of OK1.
TF10 is better suited for fun type listening as it has very good fun factor and very lively. It isolate very well too. I think it is very wisely tuned for its primary purpose. Isolated listening in noisy environment! Who wants to listen to complex music passages with subtle nuances in such a setting? I find them giving me very good isolation and fun when I am travelling and in a noisy setup. I am keeping them as well till I find a better IEM. I will audition IE8 and W3 in future.

Jan 1, 2009 at 6:25 PM Post #1,852 of 9,690
Sorry if this is the wrong place to post this. I have been wanting these for a while, but somehow I missed something. My ears are sensitive to treble and I just read these have a lot of highs? I'm even considering that maybe I have only heard horrible highs and these might not bother me. I'll be using them with my Caffeine Ultra some of the time. Would they sound ok if I set my ipod's eq to reduced treble? Again sorry about this, I didn't want to start another tri fi thread and thought this would be the best place to ask.

Jan 1, 2009 at 7:18 PM Post #1,853 of 9,690
I have posted a couple times that I think they have a lot of highs, but that's ONLY when connected to a certain amp, and I think the highs are related to some weird anti-synergy with that amp.

Straight out of my iPhone, the TF10s sound great, detailed, plenty of bass for my tastes, with no fatigue (I listen with them for pretty much my entire work day - great comfort and isolation using the Shure black foam tips). I did try "reduced treble" once just for kicks - the trebles sounded too muted for my tastes.

While IEMs may benefit from an amp, I no longer amp mine out of my iPhone because they still sound darn good unamped (and w/o an amp I can use the phone functions more easily)

Jan 1, 2009 at 8:35 PM Post #1,854 of 9,690
I was doing the flip-flop mod recently and noticed the plugs could be placed in two ways.
The flat side did originally go away from the earpiece. Should they still go that way in flip-flop mod?

Jan 1, 2009 at 10:41 PM Post #1,856 of 9,690
Quote:

Originally Posted by oogabooga /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The "R" on the plug should face the "L" on the bud, and vice-versa.

Thanks. Seems I did it right in first turn.
smily_headphones1.gif
Just need to double check.

Fit pretty better in my ears than before, also by going straight down. (Think I like them best in that way.)
Also my ears seem to be big enough to handle these. That’s nice.
By your interest, if you look on the sample pictures on Ultimate Ears webpage, they actually showed to be wearing in that way.
I am then pretty sure UE wants us to use them flipped when wearing straight down and not when going over the ear. But TF10 seems to work best flipped in both ways.
Just I sometimes tend to loose the seal with Comply’s when going over the ear.

Jan 1, 2009 at 11:43 PM Post #1,857 of 9,690
I didn't enjoy wearing them flip-flop way. I didn't think that I had the same seal and it was bit uncomfortable with time.
I don't think UE site shows it in the flip flop way. Anyway I can't see the video in the site for some reason. I tried several browsers.

Jan 6, 2009 at 1:52 AM Post #1,860 of 9,690
Quote:

Originally Posted by oogabooga /img/forum/go_quote.gif
AACCK!!

My TF10's just fell apart!! On one earbud, the clear plastic soundport separated from the shiny blue body! Best guess is plastic super-glue will fix it, but these things are about one month old!! Anyone else with this problem? I don't want to be w/o my buds while UE fixes them
frown.gif

So, I called UE again today (just got back from holiday). They said that I would have to ship my TF10s to them, they'd look at them, and let me know.

I'm a bit peeved that I have to pay for shipping and they cannot cross-ship a new pair to me (I even offered to allow them to charge my Visa card for the cross-ship, which they wouldn't do). For a pair of $400 IEMs that broke after less than a month of use, I honestly expected better service from them - instead I have to pay $20 for shipping and spend a couple weeks without them (I can still use if I tape the soundport to the body, but not if they are in a shipping box).

I know that some people are going to say that I caused some physical damage which I didn't - yeah I'll put the IEMs in my coat pocket but I take good care of them, and the housing should be built better than this!

Is this typical of customer services from UE and other companies? Am I expecting too much? Has Logitech's takeover of UE hurt their CS? Thoughts and experiences please!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back