Ultimate Ears Triple Fi 10 Thread
Jan 6, 2009 at 1:56 AM Post #1,861 of 9,690
if you knew how bad some of the other companies customer service was (cough..cough..livewires..cough..cough)
smily_headphones1.gif
UE is not terrible but it does stink you have to pay shipping.

Jan 7, 2009 at 8:54 PM Post #1,862 of 9,690
I have had these for a couple of months now and after really strugeling with comfort, I now love them after finding Complys T-500 foam tips.

Just gave them a good listening today on my way home from work. Listening to the nutcracker straight out of my Sansa Fuze was wonderful, so playful, sparkling and full of life - these ones are really keepers!

Jan 7, 2009 at 9:34 PM Post #1,864 of 9,690
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kane-DK /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have had these for a couple of months now and after really strugeling with comfort, I now love them after finding Complys T-500 foam tips.

The Complys really add a lot to the TF10's. I've had my TF10's for about a year now and loved them the whole time, but I've been using the medium silicone tips and sometimes the isolation wasn't great and the treble with some music could get a bit much.

I discovered the Complys a couple of months ago though and they did the impossible; improved the TF10's beyond what I'd already heard. They became a lot warmer sounding, the bass wasn't just deep anymore but impactful too, I can almost feel it in my head with some music now, and I've yet to come across any sibilance again. The isolation is superb now too.

Jan 7, 2009 at 9:48 PM Post #1,865 of 9,690
Wierd, I have the opposite problem with Complys.

Muddy bass and the highs are muffled. I have only tested the T-400 though. Now I have done the comply-mod, and that consists of putting a comply foam tip inside of a medium sized standard UE silicone tip. This fixed much of the problem; which probably is because the soundbore from the Comply tip stick out quite much, therefore blocking some sound.

Jan 7, 2009 at 10:42 PM Post #1,866 of 9,690
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosgis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wierd, I have the opposite problem with Complys.

Muddy bass and the highs are muffled.

I can see that, I thought that when I first heard them but ended up preferring them to the silicone tips. Different strokes I guess; what sounds warm to me might be muddy to you. Usually what sounds painfully sibilant to me just sounds clear and airy to someone else.

Jan 7, 2009 at 11:23 PM Post #1,867 of 9,690
Quote:

Originally Posted by Crackerman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can see that, I thought that when I first heard them but ended up preferring them to the silicone tips. Different strokes I guess; what sounds warm to me might be muddy to you. Usually what sounds painfully sibilant to me just sounds clear and airy to someone else.

Such is the natural variance in this game
icon10.gif

Jan 15, 2009 at 3:58 PM Post #1,868 of 9,690
Mother effer.

I have the re-branded IE-40s, and am off to swap out my third pair under warranty.

1st pair: wire inside the headphone jack housing came loose, causing static, then intermittent cutouts, then going totally dead in the right bud.

2nd pair: the connection to the bud came loose, and then a little tension pulled the guts right out of the right bud, causing it to go dead. In all fairness, I was hard on this pair.

3rd pair: the clear plastic post part, you know the one that holds the tips, totally detached in my ear when pulling it out this morning.

Argh. Anyone have similar problems with the TFs?

Jan 15, 2009 at 4:06 PM Post #1,869 of 9,690
Im starting to think i need to treat mine a little better!

Mine have stood the test of time so far, touch wood! Don't really baby, just stuff them in my pocket etc. Only use the case if they are going in my bag along with loads of other stuff. Seem to be doing fine.

Had a cold for over two weeks now though, so not used them
frown.gif
its getting damn annoying!

Jan 15, 2009 at 4:08 PM Post #1,870 of 9,690
Quote:

Originally Posted by J.D.N /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Im starting to think i need to treat mine a little better!

Mine have stood the test of time so far, touch wood! Don't really baby, just stuff them in my pocket etc. Only use the case if they are going in my bag along with loads of other stuff. Seem to be doing fine.

Had a cold for over two weeks now though, so not used them
frown.gif
its getting damn annoying!

I treat them pretty roughly as well, they get stuffed in my pocket day to day. I've had them for a year and there's not a scratch on them so I think they're a lot sturdier then they actually look.

Jan 17, 2009 at 4:37 AM Post #1,872 of 9,690
My iPhone rocks the triple.fis. I've been meaning to compare with a beat-up Rio Karma I still have, but haven't gotten around to it.

Jan 17, 2009 at 4:56 AM Post #1,873 of 9,690
They sounded good with all my Sony daps too.

Jan 17, 2009 at 10:00 AM Post #1,874 of 9,690
I was using an iPod Classic 160Gb for a couple of months and then switched to a Sansa Clip 8Gb last week. There is a massive difference - to my ears the Clip is much better - solid bass and better air to music than Classic...I appreciate the TF10s on next level now...

Jan 17, 2009 at 12:47 PM Post #1,875 of 9,690
I've borrowed the TF10's from my friend again, this time with a Null Audio recable and again only with Comply tips. I must say there's something very addictive about them, I was always enamored with the fast punchy bass but less so with the somewhat recessed mids and treble that was just borderline clean/sibilant.

This is going purely from memory here but this time round the overall sound is more balanced, bass may be a tad less but still has great punch and drive, the mids seem more forward and balanced while the highs seem cleaner and more articulate. Of course the comfort issues are still there, they're a pain to insert but with the Complys they're reasonably comfortable when on but both the stock cable and the Null audio cable are a bit unwieldy with the Null Audio cable also being rather short and stiff across the whole length. My one real gripe with them at this point is that while technically they sound very good they sound a bit contrived, not quite convincing but that may just be because I've had a bit of a cold.

At this point the irritation I have with the tri-flanges on the W3's is taking it's toll, I've ordered a pair of IE8's but if those don't cut it after an extended audition I could see myself going with a pair of TF10's with Null Audio cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back