TRN impressions thread
May 23, 2020 at 12:09 AM Post #2,176 of 3,805
Wow you are fast! beautiful shell. Graph looks great until 3khz, pinna gain on 2khz is great, 3khz dip is my thing, but seems the rest maybe too safe / rolled off and that "shifted" 8khz boost into 10khz may have a bit different tonality.
sub bass - mid bass proportion is great, similar to KZ ZSX / ZS10 Pro, so VX definitely more balanced than V90
It's hard to say with that graph, you would need to see another iem you know well measured on the same rig to get a feel for it. That dip might have to do with the gear used.
For example here is the Blon 03 and Moondrop Starfield on that same rig

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200522-210858_Samsung Internet Beta.jpg
    Screenshot_20200522-210858_Samsung Internet Beta.jpg
    233.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20200522-211232_Samsung Internet Beta.jpg
    Screenshot_20200522-211232_Samsung Internet Beta.jpg
    223.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
May 23, 2020 at 12:42 AM Post #2,177 of 3,805
It's hard to say with that graph, you would need to see another iem you know well measured on the same rig to get a feel for it. That dip might have to do with the gear used.
For example here is the Blon 03 and Moondrop Starfield on that same rig

Oh.. Right, that pretty different from most graph i used to use, ignore my previous post. Thanks for pointing out

May 23, 2020 at 1:05 AM Post #2,178 of 3,805
Wow you are fast! beautiful shell.

Edited : deleted comments about FR Graph to avoid misleading
Yes, it came so fast that DHL charged me an arm and a leg for import fees. Don't worry about the graph...the coupler has the "saggy balls syndrome" between 5 and 10 kHz. I have yet to set up E.A.R.S.

Last edited:
May 23, 2020 at 4:01 AM Post #2,179 of 3,805
When will TRN (but also others) understand that it is a shame to supply $ 70 earphones with a terrible few cents cable? Let them not put any cable in there rather than this, it really completely spoils the impression, not to mention its bad effect on the sound!

May 23, 2020 at 5:06 AM Post #2,180 of 3,805
May 23, 2020 at 9:31 PM Post #2,181 of 3,805
I just got a review unit of the TRN VX.

The product insert recommends 100 - 150 hours burn in, which is bollocks IMO LOL. Maybe the next hypetrain CHIFI would have arrived before the burn in period is completed!

TRN VX pic.jpeg

Build is very good, I had a bad experience with TRN QC previously, but nothing I can fault build wise this time, no out of phase issues or channel imbalance. It is smaller and lighter than what I expected, well fitting and comfortable. Isolation is about average.

The TRN VX sports a bright V shaped tuning, with the upper mids/lower treble being rather harsh with default stock cables/tips. So this is a treblehead's dream, but treble sensitive folks or those that have fatigue with boosted upper mids may not appreciate it. Higher male and female vocals can be shouty with the default tips/cables. It seems the VX tuning is catered mostly to their local Asian market, where they prefer boosted upper mids to complement their music, which features a lot of female vocals (they even have a term for it: musical poison 毒音, so it seems the VX really lives up to its name of being a poison nerve agent haha). The upper mids/treble frequencies can be tamed to some extent with EQ, warm sources, foam tips/narrow bore tips, or certain tape mods, +/- copper cables, but I personally find it too fatiguing for long sessions. There's some sibilance too. Bass seems tight and accurate, with good subbass extension, but this is not a basshead set.

Technicalities wise, the VX is good, with an above average soundstage, with good clarity, details, instrument separation and above average imaging.

Timbre is typical of BA timbre, certainly heard worse timbre (cough cough KZs).

Will burn in the VX further, but probably not till the 150 hours recommended in the product insert!

May 23, 2020 at 11:44 PM Post #2,182 of 3,805
Hi guys, long time lurker. About a month ago I saw @illumidata signature and it piqued my interest seeing TRN V90 v2. I've owned the TRN V90 since last August and it was my daily driver for like 5 months and with the price of it being around £20 I thought I'd give it a punt to see if there really was a v2. I just received my second pair of V90s last night and I'm really surprised as there really is a different sound. Excuse my amateurish descriptions but it really feels like vocals and mids are more forward well at least less recessed, more body. Probably lost a little bass but only a small amount.

Has anybody else that had an original V90 tried a newer V90? I went with the newer all silver colour to make sure I didn't get an old version.

Also got my TRN VX on order. Excited to see what this brings.
That'd be nice about the TRN V90 V2 but it's kind of too little, too late. Why would they keep the same model name? Seems like a very unintelligent move, especially if it is is tuned completely opposite and mid forward (which I like). I don't plan on buying it but I had heard of such a thing and you're the first I've seen to confirm it, interesting.
edit: I think I said this wrong, I like mid forward. which the v90 v1 isn't. I wouldn't buy another because "TRN" and issues even getting the right one on Amazon, etc.

Last edited:
May 24, 2020 at 12:33 AM Post #2,183 of 3,805
I just got a review unit of the TRN VX.

The product insert recommends 100 - 150 hours burn in, which is bollocks IMO LOL. Maybe the next hypetrain CHIFI would have arrived before the burn in period is completed!

TRN VX pic.jpeg

Build is very good, I had a bad experience with TRN QC previously, but nothing I can fault build wise this time, no out of phase issues or channel imbalance. It is smaller and lighter than what I expected, well fitting and comfortable. Isolation is about average.

The TRN VX sports a bright V shaped tuning, with the upper mids/lower treble being rather harsh with default stock cables/tips. So this is a treblehead's dream, but treble sensitive folks or those that have fatigue with boosted upper mids may not appreciate it. Higher male and female vocals can be shouty with the default tips/cables. It seems the VX tuning is catered mostly to their local Asian market, where they prefer boosted upper mids to complement their music, which features a lot of female vocals (they even have a term for it: musical poison 毒音, so it seems the VX really lives up to its name of being a poison nerve agent haha). The upper mids/treble frequencies can be tamed to some extent with EQ, warm sources, foam tips/narrow bore tips, or certain tape mods, +/- copper cables, but I personally find it too fatiguing for long sessions. There's some sibilance too. Bass seems tight and accurate, with good subbass extension, but this is not a basshead set.

Technicalities wise, the VX is good, with an above average soundstage, with good clarity, details, instrument separation and above average imaging.

Timbre is typical of BA timbre, certainly heard worse timbre (cough cough KZs).

Will burn in the VX further, but probably not till the 150 hours recommended in the product insert!

That was fast!

Nice impressions, i can roughly feel how their house signature applied on VX as well. That is what i heard on V90 and BA5 that boosted and intense high mids that can be tiring for longer sessions. Its the high mid parts not the trebles.
I think the bass quantity is lower than V90 while having more or less similar quality.
Too bad that you cant compare directly with V90, but i guess its a slightly more balance than V90 with less bass but still pronounced high mids. Maybe a bit more forwarded mids like BA5. Do you feel mids are recessed? Or forward?

May 24, 2020 at 12:56 AM Post #2,184 of 3,805
That was fast!

Nice impressions, i can roughly feel how their house signature applied on VX as well. That is what i heard on V90 and BA5 that boosted and intense high mids that can be tiring for longer sessions. Its the high mid parts not the trebles.
I think the bass quantity is lower than V90 while having more or less similar quality.
Too bad that you cant compare directly with V90, but i guess its a slightly more balance than V90 with less bass but still pronounced high mids. Maybe a bit more forwarded mids like BA5. Do you feel mids are recessed? Or forward?

I don't have V90, but comparing the 2 on graphs, it seems the V90 has more bass quantity.

The VX's lower mids are recessed as per the V shaped signature, with the upper mids forward. So female vocals and higher pitched male vocals are pretty forward.

May 26, 2020 at 5:01 AM Post #2,185 of 3,805
Anyways, these are some graphs comparing TRN VX to TRN V90 and TRN BA5. Credit to KopiOKaya from Audioreviews:

99411426_10158003694929792_7695054069701804032_o.jpg

100773907_10158003714434792_1830697786643841024_o.jpg

101055128_10158003714559792_1404344036801642496_o.jpg

99285183_10158003714629792_7176010914112471040_o.jpg

After spending a few more days with the TRN VX, it is actually a technically very proficient IEM. Just the upper mids/lower treble region is fatiguing with female vocals and horns/trumpets, but perhaps I am treble sensitive. Timbre is above average for a BA set actually, and soundstage is above average, with good instrument separation and imaging and details. Note weight is on the thinner side.

It would be a good set if the upper mids area can be tamed, but thankfully, I found a few ways to tame it to various extents:
1) Foam tips/narrow bore tips -> different folks have different ear anatomies, so u gotta try it to see if it works for u.
2) Warm source with the VX helps
3) EQ - specifically to lower the 2, 4 and 8 kHz areas by around 3 dB helps. I generally try not to use EQ with my IEMs, but the TRN VX is one set that I have to, and it does sound quite good with these areas lowered
4) Micropore mod -> stick a 2.5 mm x 2.5 mm 3M brand Micropore over the centre of the nozzle mesh. Lowers the upper mids. Don't cover entire mesh if not it will be muffled!

Perhaps if u believe in copper cables taming treble (and ain't a cable skeptic), u can try that too, as the stock cable of the VX isn't the best. But I would think that cable changes to sound signature would be very subtle compared to the above methods. YMMV.

The bass on the VX is one of the speedier DD type bass, yet having a decay and subbass extension typical of DD. Build is good too, so a pity the upper mids of the set makes it harsh for typical Westernized tuning OOTB. I would think their own domestic Chinese market that likes boosted upper mids/treble will dig this. But it is by no means a bad set if u can put in a bit of work.

Last edited:
May 26, 2020 at 10:12 AM Post #2,187 of 3,805
May 27, 2020 at 8:19 AM Post #2,189 of 3,805

The 8 Khz spike on the bottom graph is probably a resonance peak, but haha, i've learnt not to trust manufacturer graphs in general.

May 27, 2020 at 9:19 AM Post #2,190 of 3,805

Users who are viewing this thread

Back