Tralucent Audio 1Plus2 IEM (Now With 'New' 1Plus2.2!) Impressions Thread
Aug 24, 2013 at 8:13 AM Post #3,751 of 6,404
Quote:
Hey everyone. I have a quick question that's not exactly on topic. Did everyone buy there 1plus2 via www.tralucentaudio.com? My friend told me that you can't actually purchase the product. Instead, you have to send the money payment via Paypal to Gavin. I might be asking a stupid question right now but still, I want to make sure that this is normal before I invest a great deal of money on an iem. Thank you.

Hmmm....all I was told was to provide a blank cheque. Not sure about this paypal business. 

Aug 24, 2013 at 8:13 AM Post #3,752 of 6,404
Quote:
Guys, 

I am sorry to ask this stupid question, but.... I am trying to understand why do you buy a  1plus2   instead of a full size Headphone when for the same price than a 1plus2 ( $2000) you could get the VERY-Top-of the line Full size headphone like LCD3, TH900 or HD800 ?  

Is it only for portability issue or, besides portability reasons, do you consider the sonic advantage/pleasure of 1+2  better than those "dream Full size headphone" ? 

This is important for me to understand. Indeed, I have today a TH-900 that I am using for normal listening, but as you know I am looking for another headphone that do not leak sound outside for when I cannot disturb my environment (at work or in the bed when my wife sleep).   So I am looking for either a IEM or a (very) closed "non-leaking" headphone.
If I choose IEM, it is very likely that it will be the  1plus2 ,  but.... I still wonder if a  Beyerdynamic T5p, Edition 8  or Signature PRO...  will not be a better solution ?

thanks for your explanations

You've pretty much got the best closed headphone available. Why even mention the HD800 if you can't use it to fit your needs (its an open back and leaks major sound lol)? I had the W3000 ANV which was $1,300 and modded Denon 5000s ($600 to $700). Both were not as good as the 1Plus2. YMMV.

Aug 24, 2013 at 8:19 AM Post #3,753 of 6,404
Quote:

You've pretty much got the best closed headphone available. Why even mention the HD800 if you can't use it to fit your needs (its an open back and leaks major sound lol)? I had the W3000 ANV which was $1,300 and modded Denon 5000s ($600 to $700). Both were not as good as the 1Plus2. YMMV.

Comparing the  1plus2  to the LCD3, TH900 or HD800   was for the general question about the benefics of buying Super expensive IEMs instead of  the very best full size headphone.

For my personal need, I of course compare them to Beyerdynamic T5p, Edition 8  or Signature PRO 

Aug 24, 2013 at 8:20 AM Post #3,754 of 6,404
1p2 is not just another Ferrari, it is exclusively tuned and charged Ferrari version 
wink_face.gif

@Bmichels, i had not chance with full cans, for me portability because i hate full cans damping my ears.

Aug 24, 2013 at 8:24 AM Post #3,755 of 6,404
Well then to answer your question the benefit of buying such an IEM is for the portability and convenience opposed to being encumbered by a full sized headphone. You are able to take them with you and still have very good sound. The general consensus is that full size headphones paired with very good sources should indeed be better than IEMs for that matter. Yet if you've read earlier on in the thread people have mentioned that the 1Plus2 manages to hold its own even against the HD800 & TH900. Not necessarily besting them but being comparable at least.

Aug 24, 2013 at 9:54 AM Post #3,756 of 6,404
Quote:
Comparing the  1plus2  to the LCD3, TH900 or HD800   was for the general question about the benefics of buying Super expensive IEMs instead of  the very best full size headphone.

For my personal need, I of course compare them to Beyerdynamic T5p, Edition 8  or Signature PRO 

Personally 1p2 is the only IEM that is even remotely comparable to my LCD3.   T5P/Ed8/Sig Pro aren't really my cup of tea (bass are not textured and rolled off, and ed8 is less transparent that I like).  I had the dilemma of picking up a new TH900 for less than 1.5k from a friend who want to rescind on his order from Japan when I was about to get the 1plus2, and I can say I was not disappointed to have picked the IEM.

Cheers

(...well I might eventually still pick up the th900, it is an extremely beautiful piece of gear!!)

Aug 24, 2013 at 10:18 AM Post #3,757 of 6,404
Quote:

Personally 1p2 is the only IEM that is even remotely comparable to my LCD3.   T5P/Ed8/Sig Pro aren't really my cup of tea (bass are not textured and rolled off, and ed8 is less transparent that I like).  I had the dilemma of picking up a new TH900 for less than 1.5k from a friend who want to rescind on his order from Japan when I was about to get the 1plus2, and I can say I was not disappointed to have picked the IEM.

Cheers

(...well I might eventually still pick up the th900, it is an extremely beautiful piece of gear!!)

Hmmm...maybe I had the wrong amp combinations but I actually found the LCD-3 somewhat 'closed' in soundstage!! I was surprised from an open-back headphone. So I would actually select the 1Plus2 over the LCD-3s too. The TH-900 though, sorry to say, is a different story :p.

Aug 24, 2013 at 10:23 AM Post #3,758 of 6,404
Quote:

Hmmm...maybe I had the wrong amp combinations but I actually found the LCD-3 somewhat 'closed' in soundstage!! I was surprised from an open-back headphone. So I would actually select the 1Plus2 over the LCD-3s too. The TH-900 though, sorry to say, is a different story :p.

You sure you didn't get the veiled/closed/recessed defective batch of LCD3?  The one I had from Mar-2012 was surely not the same as my newer one.  Nonetheless, agreed that TH900 is wonderful and I suspect I'll get it sooner or later if I can resist the electrostats  :)

Aug 24, 2013 at 10:27 AM Post #3,759 of 6,404
Quote:

You sure you didn't get the veiled/closed/recessed defective batch of LCD3?  The one I had from Mar-2012 was surely not the same as my newer one.  Nonetheless, agreed that TH900 is wonderful and I suspect I'll get it sooner or later if I can resist the electrostats  :)

It was Currawong's which I borrowed for a few weeks. No it had been RMAed already I believe, so not veiled.

Aug 24, 2013 at 10:49 AM Post #3,760 of 6,404
bmichels, I wonder why you don't want a custom iem. They can give you the best of portability and comfort as well as non leaking sound. There are some totl ciems, some people prefer them over full sized dream cams. FitEar, Spiral Ear, Unique Melody can give you darn good ciems and you will probably be a totally satisfied.

Aug 24, 2013 at 10:49 AM Post #3,761 of 6,404
There is no contest.. a flagship full size headphone well sourced and amped outclasses an IEM (at least the ones I have heasrd). But we are comparing an investment of 6k upwards ( I.e.Exymus DP1 dac + GSK MkII + balanced HD800) vs. one close to 2k (i.e. hi fi DAP + Hi fi IEM). And you cant carry your full size rig.

But I think hi fi IEMs are a class above over the ear portable phones like the Signature Pro...

Aug 24, 2013 at 11:00 AM Post #3,763 of 6,404
Quote:
There is no contest.. a flagship full size headphone well sourced and amped outclasses an IEM (at least the ones I have heasrd). But we are comparing an investment of 6k upwards ( I.e.Exymus DP1 dac + GSK MkII + balanced HD800) vs. one close to 2k (i.e. hi fi DAP + Hi fi IEM). And you cant carry your full size rig.

But I think hi fi IEMs are a class above over the ear portable phones like the Signature Pro...

While I agree with full size outclassing IEM, I don't agree with a good IEM rig being cheaper than a good full size rig. A good full size, properly powered with a decent source will be better than the IEM in nearly every case bar personal sound signature preferences.

What CIEM and other TOTL IEM brings is sound that you don't expect from their size and isolation back in the days. Full size on the other hand really haven't improved that drastically over the years *bar 009 IMO*.

Aug 24, 2013 at 12:08 PM Post #3,765 of 6,404
Yes, the EX1000's soundstage is impressive.

However, my post was in response to an IEM that resembles the HD800s a great deal. There are at least 6 people I know of who either own (like I do) the K3003s & HD800s, or who have have done a side-by-side comparison between both phones—people who have all commented on said very close sonic resemblance. I've also mentioned a couple of times that it's almost unbelievable that it is the K3003 (from AKG) that comes closest to the HD800s, and not Senn's very own flagship IEM, the $1,000 IE800.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back