Tralucent Audio 1Plus2 IEM (Now With 'New' 1Plus2.2!) Impressions Thread
Jan 3, 2014 at 10:49 AM Post #4,801 of 6,404
Err, I don't think I know my metals well enough but isn't gold more resistive than copper? I understand putting 1-2% in a silver cable but 4N Au?

Or is it just proof of concept?

Yup, Silver is the best conductor with the lowest resistance followed by Copper, then Gold, but it's much less conductive with much more resistance, in fact it's very close to Aluminium.

The reason small amounts (1-2%) of Gold are added to Silver is to 'fill-in' the molecular spaces between the molecules of Silver to improve conductivity.

Conductivity:
SILVER:        6.30
COPPER:       5.96
GOLD:          4.10  
ALUMINIUM:  3.50

Resistivity:
SILVER:        1.59
COPPER:       1.68 
GOLD:          2.44
ALUMINIUM:  2.82

Ref: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrical_resistivity_and_conductivity

Jan 3, 2014 at 10:56 AM Post #4,802 of 6,404
  Yup, Silver is the best conductor with the lowest resistance followed by Copper, then Gold, but it's much less conductive with much more resistance, in fact it's very close to Aluminium.

The reason small amounts (1-2%) of Gold are added to Silver is to 'fill-in' the molecular spaces between the molecules of Silver to improve conductivity.

Conductivity:
SILVER:        6.30
COPPER:       5.96
GOLD:          4.10  
ALUMINIUM:  3.50

Resistivity:
SILVER:        1.59
COPPER:       1.68 
GOLD:          2.44
ALUMINIUM:  2.82

Ref: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrical_resistivity_and_conductivity

Thanks. I understand the 1-2% gold as mentioned in my post, but it's the 4N gold that I don't understand. From seeteeyou, if I understand his post that is a -mostly- gold cable? Or did I misunderstand it?

Jan 3, 2014 at 11:04 AM Post #4,803 of 6,404

Thanks. I understand the 1-2% gold as mentioned in my post, but it's the 4N gold that I don't understand. From seeteeyou, if I understand his post that is a -mostly- gold cable? Or did I misunderstand it?

Hmmmm.... Of course Conductivity and Resistance are two entirely different things, however I am interested as to why gold is used on all high end connectors, as opposed to silver.

Any Ideas?

Jan 3, 2014 at 11:20 AM Post #4,804 of 6,404
  Hmmmm.... Of course Conductivity and Resistance are two entirely different things, however I am interested as to why gold is used on all high end connectors, as opposed to silver.

Any Ideas?

Yeah that's easy: Silver oxidizes, Gold doesn't.  

Hi-end connectors (Oyaide, Furtech, Vermouth) are Silver plated with Rhodium over top to prevent oxidation which is presumably better than Gold over Brass.

Jan 3, 2014 at 11:24 AM Post #4,805 of 6,404

Yeah that's easy: Silver oxidizes, Gold doesn't.  

Hi-end connectors (Oyaide, Furtech, Vermouth) are Silver plated with Rhodium over top to prevent oxidation which is presumably better than Gold over Brass.

Ah yes, it was easy! I have Oyaide connectors also so I should have spotted that :)

Cheers!

Jan 3, 2014 at 11:30 AM Post #4,806 of 6,404

Well some peeps of course claim that 100% Gold is the 'cats meow', similar to almost every aspect of stuff made by man = Gold is good and more Gold is 'mo bedder', hence we have 24K Gold plated cars in Russia and solid Gold faucets in the Kardashian crib, etc, etc....lol

Audio wise some think solid Gold wires sound good so now have BLING cables to match these:

Jan 3, 2014 at 11:58 AM Post #4,807 of 6,404

Well some peeps of course claim that 100% Gold is the 'cats meow', similar to almost every aspect of stuff made by man = Gold is good and more Gold is 'mo bedder', hence we have 24K Gold plated cars in Russia and solid Gold faucets in the Kardashian crib, etc, etc....lol

Audio wise some think solid Gold wires sound good so now have BLING cables to match these:

Lovely!!! A bit of dazzle never did anyone any harm, actually that is a lie, my ex Mrs was the PR Director for Christian Dior, she dazzled me then we got divorced and she took loads of money, and gold as it happens, and that f'ing diamond ring....

Anyway...they look awesome, and the photo is amazing too...

I was actually going to buy a second pair of 1plus2's , as I think they are that good that I simply know at some point I will leave them somewhere by mistake and wanted to have a backup pair. 

I wanted the Gold plates on them, but Gavin said that the Gold Plates don't sound as good as the carbon...

As it turned out I went for some customs as I thought they would be easier to put in and take out....

I was wrong :) and I personally think that once one has heard the 1plus2, and if it is to one's tastes, then everything else struggles to match up....especially the beautiful bass...

Thanks Mr. Burton!

Jan 3, 2014 at 12:16 PM Post #4,808 of 6,404
Hmmm....I guess it's time to retire the uBer to the obsolete bin:

http://www.whiplashaudio.com/cables/whiplash-custom-cables/new-flagship-twau-reference-gold-plated-silver.html

rolleyes.gif

Jan 3, 2014 at 1:39 PM Post #4,809 of 6,404
  Hmmm....I guess it's time to retire the uBer to the obsolete bin:

http://www.whiplashaudio.com/cables/whiplash-custom-cables/new-flagship-twau-reference-gold-plated-silver.html

rolleyes.gif

I would quite like to satisfy my objective curiosity with all of this by passing it through my subjective brain, and at half the price of the uBer, last I heard, this seems to be a good way of doing it.

To be honest the page confuses me a bit OM (Over moulded) ??? Eclipse? 

So really what would I order, would it be best to wait five weeks for this OM version, possibly a redundant question, I don't know.

Cheers...

Jan 3, 2014 at 1:39 PM Post #4,810 of 6,404
  Lovely!!! A bit of dazzle never did anyone any harm, actually that is a lie, my ex Mrs was the PR Director for Christian Dior, she dazzled me then we got divorced and she took loads of money, and gold as it happens, and that f'ing diamond ring....

Anyway...they look awesome, and the photo is amazing too...

I was actually going to buy a second pair of 1plus2's , as I think they are that good that I simply know at some point I will leave them somewhere by mistake and wanted to have a backup pair. 

I wanted the Gold plates on them, but Gavin said that the Gold Plates don't sound as good as the carbon...

As it turned out I went for some customs as I thought they would be easier to put in and take out....

I was wrong :) and I personally think that once one has heard the 1plus2, and if it is to one's tastes, then everything else struggles to match up....especially the beautiful bass...

Thanks Mr. Burton!

I share the same feelings here. The bass is just so superb. Not too much, not too little, just nice, like an expensive full range speaker and sub just tune in the most cohesive way, so natural.  If I would rank it subjectively, I would say the 1p2 bass is on the same league as the Th900 and LCD-3.

Jan 3, 2014 at 1:51 PM Post #4,811 of 6,404
Jan 3, 2014 at 1:58 PM Post #4,812 of 6,404

I share the same feelings here. The bass is just so superb. Not too much, not too little, just nice, like an expensive full range speaker and sub just tune in the most cohesive way, so natural.  If I would rank it subjectively, I would say the 1p2 bass is on the same league as the Th900 and LCD-3.

Yes the bass. I have the 900's also, and have never heard any Audeze products. I agree that it is most definitely in the same league as the Th900's, I would even go so far as to say that it might be considered in its own league, all by itself, in my listening experience.

Natural is most certainly the word, creamy bass, it pours onto your ear drums rather than hits them.

I would consider myself a lover of bass, these never distort, ever.

Indeed when listening to the 1plus2 it often feels as if the sound waves are like a drop of water landing in a glass of water rather than on a hard surface. I really get that image of wavelet dispersal, that is what it sounds like to me. 

Including the bass. I find it has energy also, though I could talk a lot about the timing of the earphones and how they seem to have that nailed, which is what is peaking my interest more with this talk of cables, as I am starting to think that timing could easily be improved with better conductors. 

Interesting also that you mention not too much and not too little, whereas I would consider them to be quite bass heavy, but that could be a relative illusion, seeking it out, if I am satisfied, I will of course label them as bass heavy.

Either way, it is gorgeous, and I can't find it anywhere else, not in anything I have listened to ever in my life.

So I would rank these currently as best bass ever, however I do remember clearly moaning to Gavin about the lack of it before I got a proper seal.

I am also hoping that perhaps new cables will stay in the units more, could go either way I suppose. I want to return to using these on the go.

Jan 3, 2014 at 1:59 PM Post #4,813 of 6,404

I am very very interested.. I am cheap enough to pretend this could be my uber cable solution. Had always love Whiplashaudio cables.

But the customer service leaves so much to be desired... so so so much...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back