Toxic Cables - Impressions and Discussion Thread
Nov 14, 2012 at 10:21 PM Post #961 of 10,312
Welcome aboard the Toxic Cables Train KimChee! Remember to tip your conductor....(Pun intended!)

Nov 14, 2012 at 10:58 PM Post #962 of 10,312
Hi, I am new to this forum, I have a hd650 and I want get a cable that will give me a brighter sound on mid and high without sacrifice my lower end, so just wondering which cable is more suitable for me, thanks

Nov 15, 2012 at 4:24 AM Post #964 of 10,312
Nov 15, 2012 at 5:17 AM Post #965 of 10,312
Just read through your post. I find it quite interesting that you prefer the Silver Poison over the TWag with gold. Frank sure nailed it with his SP 
biggrin.gif

Nov 15, 2012 at 6:25 AM Post #966 of 10,312
Quote:
Thanks for your impressions. In what way does the SP sound different to the stock cables? Would you consider the SP a more resolving and neutral cable compared to stock?

Even though I've been reading a lot of reviews/impressions over the last few years, I have never done one myself. Therefore I might be not the best person for a good/detailed comparision, especially since my old stock cable is broken and no side-by-side comparisions are possible. I've been using the HD800 for several hours a day since they came out (bought them soon after), so I hope my memories don't fail me. :)

The most dramatic change was that the sound signature is way darker with the SP. It's even a tiny bit too dark for me, but the reason could easily be that I've been used so much to the bright sound of the HD800+stock+my amp that the headphone gets a different significant different sound signature this way. The bass on the SP is emphasized way more on the SP (the amount of base you get, with the stock I used equalizing for some songs to get the base to my taste) but with the SP it's absolutely not necessary any more. Since early revisions of the HD800s (like mine) do differ to newer revisions (based on what I've read on the forums) this might not be that drastic any more with new HD800s. It's tough to answer your question about which cable being more neutral, because I don't think I have listened to enough different audio gear already to be sure how exactly neutral should sound like. The HD800 itself already sound quite neutral to me and since the SP doesn't require me to boost certain frequences (I only did this for certain songs and not by very much, otherwise I alway had the impression that while the bass was more emphasized that it lacked in detail/was not so clear any more than without) it might be the SP, but really don't count me on that.

I think it's more resolving than the stock cable, however not too extreme. That's just my experience with the SP and others might find the experience different. I hope this helps you out.

Nov 15, 2012 at 6:28 AM Post #967 of 10,312
Quote:
Just read through your post. I find it quite interesting that you prefer the Silver Poison over the TWag with gold. Frank sure nailed it with his SP 
biggrin.gif

I am not usually a bass person, more of a treble head.

But the quality of bass that Frank is able to extract from SP is nothing short of miraculous.
The impact, texture, definition and sheer amount of the bass is just addictive.

And what made it even more amazing it how he managed to maintain the level of clarity even with the added warmth and bass.

Nov 15, 2012 at 9:20 AM Post #969 of 10,312
Even though I've been reading a lot of reviews/impressions over the last few years, I have never done one myself. Therefore I might be not the best person for a good/detailed comparision, especially since my old stock cable is broken and no side-by-side comparisions are possible. I've been using the HD800 for several hours a day since they came out (bought them soon after), so I hope my memories don't fail me. :)

The most dramatic change was that the sound signature is way darker with the SP. It's even a tiny bit too dark for me, but the reason could easily be that I've been used so much to the bright sound of the HD800+stock+my amp that the headphone gets a different significant different sound signature this way. The bass on the SP is emphasized way more on the SP (the amount of base you get, with the stock I used equalizing for some songs to get the base to my taste) but with the SP it's absolutely not necessary any more. Since early revisions of the HD800s (like mine) do differ to newer revisions (based on what I've read on the forums) this might not be that drastic any more with new HD800s. It's tough to answer your question about which cable being more neutral, because I don't think I have listened to enough different audio gear already to be sure how exactly neutral should sound like. The HD800 itself already sound quite neutral to me and since the SP doesn't require me to boost certain frequences (I only did this for certain songs and not by very much, otherwise I alway had the impression that while the bass was more emphasized that it lacked in detail/was not so clear any more than without) it might be the SP, but really don't count me on that.

I think it's more resolving than the stock cable, however not too extreme. That's just my experience with the SP and others might find the experience different. I hope this helps you out.

This definitely helps! Thanks for your impressions. I may just go for the SP after all

Nov 15, 2012 at 10:37 AM Post #970 of 10,312
Nov 15, 2012 at 11:40 AM Post #971 of 10,312

Nov 15, 2012 at 12:11 PM Post #972 of 10,312
Geesh..u walk around with that in ur pocket? Its a huge package..but i love the cables :D
Seriously..it looks as a goodsouding rig. :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back