Toucan and Boomslang (IBasso Audio) Balanced Review Thread
Aug 1, 2010 at 2:27 PM Post #46 of 330
Thanks Miguel. I should add that I am planning on adding a desktop setup and keeping my portable setup for bedside only so that I don't have to keep lugging my onkyo nd-s1 and d10 upstairs to my bedroom every night.

Up until now, I have been planning on getting Nuforce HDP and HD 650 (would be interested in making balanced near to mid term). This looks interesting enough to consider as well.

Dave

Aug 1, 2010 at 10:38 PM Post #47 of 330
I think I've missed this so far....can the PB1 also take in SE and output balanced like the Protector? 

Also, can the boomslang output SE?  If not, would an adapter cable return the boomslang's output balanced signal to SE if needed for other SE equipment?  I'm just wondering if it can act as a SE DAC and possibly replace the DAC function of the D10 for folks who have not jumped completely into balanced yet. 

Aug 1, 2010 at 10:47 PM Post #49 of 330

Quote:
I think I've missed this so far....can the PB1 also take in SE and output balanced like the Protector? 

Also, can the boomslang output SE?  If not, would an adapter cable return the boomslang's output balanced signal to SE if needed for other SE equipment.  I'm just wondering if it can act as a SE DAC and possibly replace the DAC function of the D10 for folks who have not jumped completely into balanced yet. 

I asked iBasso that question weeks back. Their reply at that time was the Boomslang's output will only be balanced.

Aug 8, 2010 at 4:13 PM Post #53 of 330

Quote:
Guys, Should i go for headstage arrow 12he 2g or toucan ?

Have no idea which is 'better', the headstage has got great reviews, but i was chosing between those 2 as well. I chose the Toucan, Ibasso are shipping it Monday....The arrow would involve a 1 month wait or more, which is ridiculous, I am way too impatient.

Aug 8, 2010 at 4:18 PM Post #54 of 330
Aug 10, 2010 at 12:03 PM Post #58 of 330

Quote:
What is the charger for the PB1 like?  will I need an adapter to use in the UK?

The charger does have the US style plug, but the adapter itself is rated at 100-240vac  50-60 hz

Aug 11, 2010 at 9:55 AM Post #59 of 330

Quote:
Have no idea which is 'better', the headstage has got great reviews, but i was chosing between those 2 as well. I chose the Toucan, Ibasso are shipping it Monday....The arrow would involve a 1 month wait or more, which is ridiculous, I am way too impatient.

I was in the same situation.  I had already placed an order for an Arrow a couple weeks ago, but I decided to cancel it and go with the Toucan instead, which was delivered Monday.  I am not disappointed with its sound (just using SE, no balanced cans).  Not having heard the Arrow, though, I can't be positive it was the right decision.  I will say that the PB1 drives my K702's nicely.

Aug 11, 2010 at 11:43 AM Post #60 of 330
Yes, I would have an Headstage Arrow now if they were available, but am confident the PB1 will be just as good though (doesnt really matter as I will never own a Arrow now so I wont know!).

My PB1 Toucan arrived today, very very impressed with Ibasso as a company, very fast delivery (from China) and very professional in their email responses (Robert - Headstage take note!).

In the end I just ordered a USB DAC cable from headstage, which to their credit has been shipped now. I am more than happy with my PB1 though, much prefer its volume knob too, rather than the Arrows dial.

Form factor it fits my fuze pefectly - just a shame the fuze doesnt have a lineout, not so great with my s:flo2 (shape wise) though. But wont be amping either of these long term.

Will try it on my K601's tonight off my laptop, which will be its new home (my fuze doesnt really benefit from an amp with my travel phones).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back