Toucan and Boomslang (IBasso Audio) Balanced Review Thread
Jul 27, 2010 at 10:58 PM Post #31 of 330
Below is what I posted following our Ft. Myers meet regarding our brutal testing of the PB1:

"Yesterday at our SW FL Mini-meet, we were experimenting the with PB1's drive ability and someone suggested trying it with my K1000.  Ha!  Fat chance it could even drive them to an audible level, much less a suitable listening level, but nevertheless, I decided to humor the request and lashed up the K1Ks. 

Believe it or not, to our amazement, the Toucan on high gain was not only able to drive them to an audible level, but also to a satisfying listening level that sounded not only well-balanced, but also one that was tonally correct.   This was done using the balanced output.  Of course, the volume control on the PB1 was nearly maxxed, but nevertheless....!!!

Who woulda thott???? 

Needless to say, the Toucan impressed all who auditioned it with my K1000s and K340s.   In balanced mode, it was also able to drive my HE-5LE's. 

In comparison, my *other* balanced portable did not fare as well. "

Ron

UPDATE:   I did not mean to imply that high gain is needed to drive the HE-5LE using the Toucan's SE output.  It drives them just fine, but balanced there is improvement in imaging and soundstage.  

Jul 28, 2010 at 5:29 PM Post #32 of 330
Thanks for all the contributions everyone to my thread....I am patiently waiting as I wanted to have both the DAC and AMP, but now I am very lonely...but soon...

I do a lot of listening online so really want to see the full potential of the amp with balanced DAC

Jul 29, 2010 at 12:14 AM Post #33 of 330

Quote:
Thanks for all the contributions everyone to my thread....I am patiently waiting as I wanted to have both the DAC and AMP, but now I am very lonely...but soon...

I do a lot of listening online so really want to see the full potential of the amp with balanced DAC

Same here. I think I'm going to save up and use some of the money I make from selling my summer books back and see how the balanced DAC plays out. Computer + DAC + PB1(AMP) + K702 = amazing desktop rig

Plus right now I'm using the SE with a T51 for an amazing transportable rig as well. 

Jul 31, 2010 at 1:52 PM Post #42 of 330
Lucky you; mine took about 5 days lol...Sadly when I got it I had a test that week so it was killing me that I waited so long and I still couldn't use it. However I'm getting at least 3 hours in every day now :)

Aug 1, 2010 at 2:01 PM Post #44 of 330
Ron,

Any way of describing how much of an improvement this is over topkit D10's amp? It obviously has a lot more power, but I'm wondering if it would be a significant improvement in sound quality even when not using the balanced features and when only using IEMs like my IE8, which don't seem to require the additional power.

Since I will be picking up some full-size cans soon (HD 650 or D5000), this is especially intriguing...

Thanks,
Dave

Aug 1, 2010 at 2:14 PM Post #45 of 330
Dave, if you do not need the DAC in the D10 then the Toucan is smaller and offers the ability to later go balance. On the other hand your IE8 should not require that much power and carrying any amp makes things complex when you are on the go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back