Toucan and Boomslang (IBasso Audio) Balanced Review Thread
Jul 7, 2010 at 10:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 330

paulybatz

Headphoneus Supremus
I just ordered the Toucan from Ibasso...I have been bothering them for months as soon as they intro'd the pics on their website in January...these are very exciting times...they are so friendly and prompt to respond to emails...they are as excited as all of us here about high quality audio and it shows in what they are doing there.  After ordering and not wishing to pay double shipping, I decided to have them hold the Toucan AMP until the Boomslang DAC is available...

Just received the set...man they are pretty!!!

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/501028/toucan-and-boomslang-ibasso-audio-balanced-review-thread/150#post_6909784

Ok, after listening single ended while waiting for my retermed cable...I had a certain impression of the amp...now listening with my HD650 BALANCED...it is a profound difference, when I say profound, you hear everything in perfect balance, no pun intended.  Nothing is overdone, not too much bass, treble or mids...I honestly never thought I could hear music in this way.  The bass is tremendous, I mean the bass guitar is so perfectly presented that I can visually see the string vibrating and resonating, Im listening to a CD source feeding the TOUCAN John Scofiend "A Go Go" and feel like Im in the studio with these guys, not in the studio, but right in the center of the room with the band.  I also have to note how much I LOVE the HIROSE connectors, they are so easy and stress free to use...more detailed review and analysis to come after I've done some listening...but a little more the drums, the pop, snap of the snare...it drives the HD650s not only perfectly but effortlessly, meaning I have it on low gain setting and a nice listening level is slightly less than 10 o'clock...what is also nice about this amp is it is not only clear and analytical but it is not fatiguing to listen to...the music is so good that you want to just re-listen to all of your favorite artists to hear them like you never have before!!!!

Jul 9, 2010 at 9:04 PM Post #3 of 330
I am very excited, I "know" already it is going to be great...it was very difficult to tell them to hold the amp until the DAC was ready but good things come to those who wait....I would just order it SPADE! Considering you can use it both balanced and single ended, at the price its a no brainer.

Jul 9, 2010 at 10:45 PM Post #4 of 330
Well I have to sell my ALO Rx first as I'm in college and just can't blow money lol.... I've already spent <200 on books and it's just my freshman summer :/

Good thing there are scholarships :)

Jul 9, 2010 at 11:11 PM Post #5 of 330
Paulybatz, did you get a chance to ask them how long it'll be till the dac is available? I'm very interested in getting the T/B set up and am anxiously awaiting impressions/reviews.

Jul 13, 2010 at 12:19 AM Post #13 of 330
Well, I've had a couple of hours with my Toucan, and I must say, although the benefits aren't very substantial they are there.

I'm using it in SE mode, with the built-in DACs in my iPhone 3GS and iPad. Like several of you, I'm waiting for iBasso to release their Westone/UE compatible Balanced cable and of course their matching Boomslang Balanced DAC.

Whilst A/B'ing this evening, the first time I really noticed anything 'substantially' different was with Radiohead's High and Dry.

Part of me wants to send it back to iBasso as the differences I've heard thus far are very minimal, although they are nice. But another part of me realizes that I've not burned it in at all yet, plus I'm not really taking advantage of it since I've no Balanced cable just yet. I know that from reading about the RSA Protector, there was a substantial improvement when using it in Balanced vs. SE.

Alas, by the time I get the balanced cable from iBasso (and the Boomslang), I'll be past the 14 day return policy for the amp. I may just be trying to talk myself into this, but I can't help but think listing to this in Balanced mode should result in another incremental value increase, and again with their Balanced DAC. So, those that are waiting to order everything at once may be on to something!

Here's a pic:

Jul 13, 2010 at 12:27 AM Post #14 of 330
ElWappo, what kind of IEMs are those? They look to be impossibly deep, what kind of impressions did you have?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back