Topping D50
Jul 4, 2019 at 12:54 PM Post #751 of 1,054
meh. while i do really like my d50 i was hoping for more then just bluetooth and remote. i mean the su-8 includes xlr connections and overall is very similar. and the d70 at a much higher price point. i was hoping for a balanced dx50 even in a bit bigger case. ill be listing my d50 for sale soon i think i have to many dacs now i use over it.
D50 fixes the intermodulation bug (not sure if audible) that many ESS DACs show.

Also there was an A50 coming and a LPSU for both to make a triple stack. But I'm not sure the A50 is still coming... Topping had difficulties iirc considering the anticipation compared to other DACs like thx, Atom, liquid spark.

The scene is getting so competitive nowadays!

Jul 4, 2019 at 1:02 PM Post #752 of 1,054
i was hoping for a balanced dx50 even in a bit bigger case.

Why do you want a balanced output? You have a balanced headphone amp or a power amp with balanced inputs?

If you can solder stuff, it's pretty easy to solder three wires at the D50 output, on each +/- analog IC chip, and voilá: balanced output!

You need three wires per channel: + output, - output and ground. The IC chips would work as drivers.

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2019 at 1:53 PM Post #754 of 1,054
That's what it looks like, but strange as it has an external 6v power supply. :confused:

Oh, well. Neither here nor there, I suppose. Just a curiosity.

Jul 4, 2019 at 5:59 PM Post #755 of 1,054
Why do you want a balanced output? You have a balanced headphone amp or a power amp with balanced inputs?

If you can solder stuff, it's pretty easy to solder three wires at the D50 output, on each +/- analog IC chip, and voilá: balanced output!

You need three wires per channel: + output, - output and ground. The IC chips would work as drivers.
yes actually i have many amps with balanced out. i dont just have a few amps though lol. the d50 is what was running some of my smaller non balanced amps but i would rather something that can do both and some like the su8 are coming out that can do both. the d50 is great i cant say anything bad about mine it sounds awesome but if they were going tp upgrade it i would have liked to see a balanced out to compete with the likes of some of the other stuff coming out in this price range. i may try that but i did not want to really crack it open if i was going to sell it. ill have to think about it. mine has VERY little usage because i have been using other dacs mostly

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2019 at 6:04 PM Post #756 of 1,054
the one good thing about the d50s is it gets rid the ess imd hump the plagues ess based dacs. i sent them a question if there will be a a way to upgrade the d50 with firmware and the answer is in fact no the regular d50 will never be able to have this corrected.

Jul 4, 2019 at 6:07 PM Post #757 of 1,054
I saw that about the D50s. Not really sure how audible that particular 'hump' in IMD really is, but it would be nice if the D50 could be corrected, as well. Sadly, not the case.

Jul 4, 2019 at 11:00 PM Post #758 of 1,054
so~ is it worth an upgrade from topping d50 to d50s?

Jul 4, 2019 at 11:08 PM Post #759 of 1,054
Not unless you want to use bluetooth, imo.

Jul 5, 2019 at 3:48 AM Post #760 of 1,054
yes actually i have many amps with balanced out. i dont just have a few amps though lol. the d50 is what was running some of my smaller non balanced amps but i would rather something that can do both and some like the su8 are coming out that can do both. the d50 is great i cant say anything bad about mine it sounds awesome but if they were going tp upgrade it i would have liked to see a balanced out to compete with the likes of some of the other stuff coming out in this price range. i may try that but i did not want to really crack it open if i was going to sell it. ill have to think about it. mine has VERY little usage because i have been using other dacs mostly

You can use your D50 to interface with balanced inputs without modifying it. I suppose you know that. Passively I mean.

You just need an RCA to XLR3 cable that connects the balanced pins accordingly.

https://www.prosoundweb.com/topics/..._outputs_to_balanced_inputs_and_vice_versa/2/

Jul 5, 2019 at 4:02 AM Post #762 of 1,054
Unbalanced to balanced output.jpg
There's a third passive solution which I recommend, that can be easily added inside the cable XLR connector.

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2019 at 4:02 PM Post #763 of 1,054
Any of you fine folks use HQ Player with the D50. Worth a shot with the eval? Any tips or suggestions?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back