1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Topping D50

Discussion in 'Dedicated Source Components' started by junki, Apr 8, 2018.
First

Back
42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51
53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60
Next

Last
  1. Vosya
    - Adaptive seventh order one-bit delta-sigma modulator.
    - Minimum phase variant of minringFIR. (Minimum ringing FIR. Uses special algorithm to create a linearphase filter that minimizes amount of ringing).

Ripper2860 likes this.
  2. Baten
    HQPlayer filters for DSD conversion.

Ripper2860 likes this.
  3. carlmart
    You mean those are additional boxes that increase the price of the setup?

4. Ripper2860
    No. They are included with HQ Player.

5. Vosya
    In a certain sense - yes. When embedded FIRs do not satisfy quality, external, non-free resources are required.

6. Ripper2860
    So I've read that some folks utilize a 5V USB battery pack to power their D50 DAC. I can imagine there is no quieter/cleaner power source than by-pass the AC-to-DC conversion and feed nice clean DC from batteries to the D50. So here are my questions?

1. Are all battery packs created equal or are their spoecifi ones that is recommended for quality and capacity?
    2. How long can one expect to play their DAC with a typical pack?
    3. Any drawback in charging the pack while using it to power the DAC or does one need to recharge while not listening?

Thanks!!

7. adeadcrab
    My D50 came second hand with a Linear Power Supply. No experience with battery packs but the LPS serves its purpose. The D50 sounds good, and plus I can charge my phone from the power supply at the same time :)

Ripper2860 likes this.
  8. Ripper2860
    I purchased a Jameco 5v LPS to go with it and it is serving me very well w/ D50. Curiosity, however, has me inquiring, as AC noise can leak into DC. I've found a smallish phone charging battery pack and will be giving it a bit of an A/B, but expect my ears will not tell the diff. Won't stop me from trying to make thing sound better, though!! :D

Last edited: Jul 14, 2019
  9. starence
    Why does this DAC sound so much better when you convert everything to DSD256? I don't know, but now that I've heard it I can't go back to PCM.

*edit* I maybe should have said it sounds different with DSD conversion, not necessarily better. I still prefer it sometimes though.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2019
  10. Vosya
    Obviously, because built-in upsampling and filtering does not occur in ES9038Q2M.

11. Baten
    I guess you like the sound of whatever is doing the filtering externally as opposed to the built-in one.

12. starence
    I guess it also avoids the D50’s built in oversampling. I don’t think DSD is a superior format, but it tends to sound better on this DAC. I recommend that everyone who has the D50 or a similar DAC tries it. I’m using Roon to do on the fly conversion, but I’m sure free software exists that can do the same thing, like foobar or something.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2019
  13. bogi
    The quality of PCM to DSD software conversion is important. You are not getting the same result with JRiver, foobar2000, HQPlayer.

14. carlmart
    So which one is better?

15. bogi
    HQPlayer for sure.

First

Back
42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51
53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60
Next

Last