1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Topping D50

Discussion in 'Dedicated Source Components' started by junki, Apr 8, 2018.
2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
Next

Last
  1. junki
    The Topping D50 was released recently.

Product information: http://en.tpdz.net/products_detail/productId=37.html

Notable features I personally care about:
    • 2x ES9038Q2M, one for each channel
    • 3x OPA1612 opamps in the output stage
    • OLED display that auto turns off f*** yeah
    I know there are a handful of people who've already got theirs and listened to them. Does anyone have any subjective impressions and comparisons with other DACs they could provide?

2. franz12
    I am waiting for my order from Massdrop. It uses ESS9038Q2M instead of ESS9038PRO. I was told that the former has 2 channels while the latter has 6 channels, which makes huge difference in power consumption. Otherwise they are similar each other.

But do you know under what circumstances having 6 channels instead of 2 makes actual difference, if any, to human ears?

alphanumerix1 likes this.
  3. junki
    Nothing specific about the DAC or the DAC methodology will have any deterministic relationship with what is audible.

4. franz12
    Okay. I understand there might be no deterministic relationship. Then what's the point of having 6 channels rather than 2? What do you think about a stochastic relationship? It might be stochastically better with an unknown probability?

zeropoint likes this.
  5. junki
    5.1 audio

6. Oscar-HiFi
    I'm looking forward to getting a D50 soon :D

I have a D30 and it'll be great to compare them, along with comparing it with my JDS Labs EL DAC.

Drsparis likes this.
  7. Namtar
    I'm looking forward to reviews showing up here. Given the D50 can act as a preamp I'm looking at it myself. (Was considering the DX7s but I don't need the amp - and if I ever decide to go balanced I'm going to a Schiit Gumby and calling it a day)
    Currently using a 2000s Marantz receiver to power my desktop speakers and my HE-4xx headphones and it takes up a lot of space (and the electric bill is a bit meh too) Looking to get an Emotiva BasX A100 and this little dac ought to shrink my audio footprint around my computer desk.

Please share your comments on this DAC when you get it!

8. alphanumerix1
    Well this measures super well. Was tested over at asr.

9. spacequeen7
    Subbed ,have one coming my way

10. TheGame21x
    Bought one during the Massdrop...drop. Looking forward to comparing it to my Schiit Mimby and JDS Labs OL DAC.

11. spacequeen7
    So tiny .. :)
    [​IMG]

12. plutonim
    and so heavy!
    photo_2018-04-22_15-26-37.jpg
    Excellent DAC, but it sounds like FiiO X7...

Last edited: Apr 23, 2018
  13. spacequeen7
    yeah ,I was little surprised
    Cheers

14. franz12
    X7 uses 9028pro and D50 uses 9038q2m. It is not surprising to see their sound is similar. But I guess they should be somehow different.

But probably hearing difference between them might not be easy.

One tip: In a low volume, all amps/DACs sound similar. To hear difference, you need to turn up volume all the way up to 95db+

15. Ted Presley
    Several hours listening to D50, I would say comparing with modi multibit, D50 is warmer and making the sound thicker and modi multibit is slightly dryer (and I may feel modi multibit is slightly more detail). Of course, both are great DAC at this price point, choosing which depends on your current headphone/speaker sound signature.

BTW, if someone lịkes the tube like sound, D50 is a better choice than Modi Multibit :).

Last edited: Apr 26, 2018
2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
Next

Last