Topping D50
Apr 16, 2019 at 10:49 AM Post #736 of 1,054
it sound worse, assumed it was my imagination
If we are about the same thing (v1.03), then now I don’t think that the sound is worse - it’s just different. It seems to me that there are fewer distortions, including some phase shifts between stereo channels, which together were previously (v1.02) perceived as a more rollicking sound.

May 8, 2019 at 2:05 PM Post #741 of 1,054
I'm having TWO serious issues with my new Topping D50 that I hope someone can help me with.

#1. I get an NSIS ERROR when trying to run ASIOProxyInstall-0.7.2.exe which I've downloaded from their site several times.

#2. No sound using COAX Input from a known previously-working source.

PLEASE let me know if anyone can shed some light on this for me.

May 9, 2019 at 4:35 AM Post #742 of 1,054
I'm having TWO serious issues with my new Topping D50 that I hope someone can help me with.

#1. I get an NSIS ERROR when trying to run ASIOProxyInstall-0.7.2.exe which I've downloaded from their site several times.

#2. No sound using COAX Input from a known previously-working source.

PLEASE let me know if anyone can shed some light on this for me.
If you need ASIOProxy you can get it here too https://sourceforge.net/projects/sacddecoder/files/foo_dsd_asio/

About the coax, some users noticed this too. Its s/pdif in is finnicky, apparently. If possible I would return the unit if you wanted to use it with coaxical, if you have a return window.. :/

May 9, 2019 at 1:00 PM Post #743 of 1,054
Thank you Baten! The download worked and did the trick. However I tend to think you're right about returning the D50. I'm trying one more thing recommended by a user who said they swapped cables with a subwoofer cable and coax started working. If that doesnt do it, I'm moving on from the D50 (its sound was a little too fatiguing for my taste anyway).

Jul 3, 2019 at 1:36 PM Post #744 of 1,054
Quick question regarding use of Schiit EITR with D50...

New to DSD playback, so excuse my ignorance. I assume that using EITR and coax s/PDIF means no DSD support. If I understand correctly, higher bitrate PCM and DSD is only supported via USB. Is that correct?

Loving my D50!!

Thanks!!!

On a side note: For some reason I've gone w/o any issues (6 mos+ with extended listening everyday) via a custom USB cable with no GND or Power +/- conductors. No issues with LOCK or syncing as some have reported. Maybe it's the short run, a really good cable, or just plain dumb luck!! Also using a 5v Linear PSU from Jameco. Bliss! :wink:

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2019 at 3:58 PM Post #745 of 1,054
Quick question regarding use of Schiit EITR with D50...

New to DSD playback, so excuse my ignorance. I assume that using EITR and coax s/PDIF means no DSD support. If I understand correctly, higher bitrate PCM and DSD is only supported via USB. Is that correct?

Loving my D50!!

Thanks!!!

On a side note: For some reason I've gone w/o any issues (6 mos+ with extended listening everyday) via a custom USB cable with no GND or Power +/- conductors. No issues with LOCK or syncing as some have reported. Maybe it's the short run, a really good cable, or just plain dumb luck!! Also using a 5v Linear PSU from Jameco. Bliss! :wink:
DSD64 DoP only

There must be GND in the cable otherwise it wont form the connection initially, the shield is grounded too .

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2019 at 4:57 PM Post #746 of 1,054
Wait!! Now that I think about it, it's likely just VSB 5v+ and VSB 5v- that are neutered w/ the GND/Shield is still in play. I had another cable made with just VSB 5v+ neutered in case my current cable with no VSB 5v- proved problematic. I have not had any reason to press the backup cable into action.

Also appreciate the EITR info. I may put the EITR into the loop and use JRiver to send my Native DSD files as DSD64 DoP. Just curious at this point as to whether it will make a noticeable audible diff through my HP rig. Sounds very nice at this point, but one must continue to push the envelope. :D

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2019 at 5:48 PM Post #747 of 1,054
I would be very surprised if there wasnt an audible difference with eitr, probably more natural and musical but you may notice some loss of detail/resolution too... might be too slight to matter but DSD is a highly resolving format and therefore sensitive to very slight differences. Definitely report back on any positive or negative effects you hear.

BTW there is no -5V in the USB cable, that must be one of the data lines.
Try taping +5V and GND, then tape around the outer metal jacket on USB connector at the DAC end to isolate the shield from the DAC too. if it doesnt connect to the PC you are getting somewhere

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2019 at 11:57 AM Post #749 of 1,054
meh. while i do really like my d50 i was hoping for more then just bluetooth and remote. i mean the su-8 includes xlr connections and overall is very similar. and the d70 at a much higher price point. i was hoping for a balanced dx50 even in a bit bigger case. ill be listing my d50 for sale soon i think i have to many dacs now i use over it.

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2019 at 12:10 PM Post #750 of 1,054
I would be very surprised if there wasnt an audible difference with eitr, probably more natural and musical but you may notice some loss of detail/resolution too... might be too slight to matter but DSD is a highly resolving format and therefore sensitive to very slight differences. Definitely report back on any positive or negative effects you hear.

BTW there is no -5V in the USB cable, that must be one of the data lines.
Try taping +5V and GND, then tape around the outer metal jacket on USB connector at the DAC end to isolate the shield from the DAC too. if it doesnt connect to the PC you are getting somewhere

I now have my EITR in the chain. Strange thing is it was not recognized by my PC using the custom USB cable that I used with my D50 directly -- not seen by PC and no connection indicator light on EITR. Went back to a standard USB cable and it fired right up. Reconfigured JRiver Media Center to stream DSD using DoP (DSD64) and will give it a good listen over the next few days. Initial thoughts are that it presents a slightly darker / more silent background from which the music emerges and a tad less haze/glare on the mids and top end. Still need more time to draw a solid conclusion, but initial impressions are good.

(BTW -- my DSD library is rather small with most music being 16/44.1 and 24/96, so any slight differences in detail that may be perceived would not be a big deal.)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back