Top-Tier Universal IEM Comparison Chart, Frequency Response Charts, & Discussion
Mar 20, 2010 at 6:10 PM Post #331 of 785
After listening to the GR8 for a few months this is my observation:

Those who like the Grado signature with upfront mids and crystal clear revealing highs should like the GR8.

Those who stay away from Grado, not because of the upfront mids and highs, but because Grado headphones can be fatiguing, may like the GR8 because they aren't the least bit fatiguing.

Those who don't care for the Grado signature or who like a more extended bass heavy sound will probably not like the GR8 at all. This is not to say that the GR8 doesn't have bass, rather they just don't have an extended bass by any means. This can be a weakness for some, but this should be expected as they were engineered with the Grado signature in mind. The quality of the bass on the other hand is very good, much like Grado headphones and with the right portable amp the bass is more balanced with the mids and highs without having to eq like Grado headphones. I prefer them paired with the ibasso T3 over the D4 due to more bass quantity with the T3. After testing them alone through the dap (Sony X1050), through my computer soundcard, through the T3, and through the D4, I've come to the conclusion that it's the D4 that is more colored, having less bass, as a stand alone amp anyway. At any rate, the GR8 MUST BE AMPED to bring out the best in them. I'd have to compare them to the Beyer DT880/600ohm headphones in this respect. Without amping they suck. With amping they sound oh so sweet.

The GR8 is the only IEM I've listened to for the last couple months and I don't have tons of experience with other IEMs like some others here, but I think there is something to be said for that because I now know the GR8 sound inside and out and am taking it on it's own merits. It's all subjective though as always. They just sound great to me.
wink.gif

Mar 21, 2010 at 12:02 AM Post #332 of 785
average_joe;6493822 said:
Thank you all for your input so far. I have moved the PS200 to the top-tier category as it seems like it is close to the CK10, but with a bit of a different presentation.

I also moved the SM3 to top-tier status since it is supposedly better than the SM2, and the SM2 is in the top-tier chart (of course I have to take people's word on this
smily_headphones1.gif
).

Thank you for the info. For clarification, you own all 3 (GR8, SM2, SM3)? Which has far better mids, the GR8 or SM2/SM3? And your description is of the SM2 for the precise highs, defined and warm mids, etc?

Sorry to said it but, SM2 and SM3 have a differnet signature,still neutral but with the so specific Earsonic harmonic.

I would say the SM2 and SM3, with an advantage to SM3,

SM2 and overall Earsonic touch is to provide :
- Net, clean and profound bass (not boomy)
- Sharp, warm, and long medium
- Very net, high and precised high

Il you take France as example,they are surely considerd as above :
Klipsch (V3 / X10)
IE8
Sleek SA6
Westone 1,2,3,UM2 - Different for the UM3x, which seems to compete the SM2, exception made of shortened high and very strong bass.
Shure 530

The GR8 is not capable to stand against the SM2or SM3. It's still good, but lack of precision, to dynamic.

The difference is that SM2 and SM3 are supposed to be musician monitor. Sound definition and Precision is their purpose.

I will try to translate a full comparison of earsonics products if I can get some time.

Mar 24, 2010 at 5:42 AM Post #333 of 785
@average_joe First please allow me to echo the praise of so many others and say you've really done an outstanding job with this. It is because of your efforts and a handful of others that make the IEM forum one of best if not the best on-line communities I have been apart of.

You can lend my support to the CK10 being top tier which I own (in addition to the FX500, which I most certainly do not support). While I have not owned the following, I have listened to these from your list on multiple occasions for as long as i desired (one of the joys of living in Tokyo) E-q7, Se530, TF10. IE8, CK100, ER4P, CK90Pro (unmodded) and FX700

With the exception of the FX700 which wasn't released until after I bought the CK10, I listened to all of the above using my own DAP and various tips before it came down to either the CK10 or eQ7. While both are in basically the same price range here , I decided to go with the CK10 primarily due to their smaller size and for me, better comfort.

Mar 24, 2010 at 5:50 AM Post #334 of 785
@java

So to your ears, the difference in SQ between the E-q7's moving armature and the CK10 were not that great? Or was comfort and size so important that no matter how good the E-q7 sounded you wouldn't put those things in your ear on a regular basis??

Mar 24, 2010 at 6:04 AM Post #335 of 785
Quote:

Originally Posted by Anaxilus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
@java

So to your ears, the difference in SQ between the E-q7's moving armature and the CK10 were not that great? Or was comfort and size so important that no matter how good the E-q7 sounded you wouldn't put those things in your ear on a regular basis??

The signature is quite different between the two but both are excellent in my view. As for comfort, I was always aware the e-q7s were in my ears with a deep insert (which is how like my IEMs) whereas with the CK10s I am not. The e-q7s are not uncomfortable for me in a painfulway just noticeable and thus interfer with the listening experience.

With the e-q7s, I would always have thoughts of wanting to take them out after 30 or 40 minutes whereas with the CK10s after the same amount of time actually less, I completely forget I have something physically stuck in my ear

Mar 24, 2010 at 8:39 AM Post #336 of 785
@ javajive: Thank you very much for the compliments and input. What did you think of the CK90Pro unmodded? And any input you can give for the FX700 strengths, weaknesses, and sound signature would be great.

@ Anaxilus: Let me add to what javajive said about the CK10's vs the e-Q7...they are quite different. The CK10 is more analytical and brings the details right to your ears. I think the CK10 is like being among the performers as you can hear all the details of the music, and they are brought right to you. The e-Q7 (which is reported to benefit from burn in, I got mine used, so I don't know first hand). The presentation of the e-Q7 is different. It is a smoother presentation, more like a dynamic, but it does have the detail of the BA IEMs, it is just not as in your face with the details. I didn't notice it at first, but the e-Q7 just disappears in my ears and is extremely transparent. The CK10 on the other hand has exceptional imaging due to the details being brought to the forefront.

The sound sig of the CK10 is treble focused and bright whereas the e-Q7 is mid focused with seamless integration of the treble and bass. Technically, I personally think the e-Q7 is more accurate than the CK10 and more true to life, but both are very very good. They are very different in form factor, so I can see why people would prefer the CK10 from a form factor standpoint.

Mar 24, 2010 at 12:23 PM Post #337 of 785
@ average_joe nice description in articulating the differences between the two. As for my opinion on the CK90 Pro, I posted in a CK90 thread that I thought they sucked and they were something I would not trade my cks70 for which if I recall correctly, kinda mirrored your comments, pre-mod. .

As for the FX700, my initial impressions after hearing them on 3 different occasions for a total of just over an hour is that they are very ugly, but very good and have gone a long way in addressing the weaknesses of the fx500.

But as they are much better than the fx500 and are in the IE8 category for dynamics IMO, I will do a side by side comparisan of the two within the next few days and do my best to compare the FX700 in relation to the IE8

Mar 24, 2010 at 2:15 PM Post #338 of 785
javajive-
I highly look forward to your thoughts on the FX700's, especially with your statement that they've gone a long way to address the FX500's shortcomings... Are you referring to the 'hot' treble? Are they smoother in that regard? Honestly, if they fixed that one problem, they'd be a very compelling IEM.

Mar 25, 2010 at 6:30 PM Post #339 of 785
Joe where did you see tarn's thoughts on the coppers? I looked but can't find any. Was thinking of CK10 but not sure now with all the copper love happening.

Mar 26, 2010 at 2:39 PM Post #340 of 785
Quote:

Originally Posted by javajive /img/forum/go_quote.gif
@ average_joe nice description in articulating the differences between the two. As for my opinion on the CK90 Pro, I posted in a CK90 thread that I thought they sucked and they were something I would not trade my cks70 for which if I recall correctly, kinda mirrored your comments, pre-mod. .

As for the FX700, my initial impressions after hearing them on 3 different occasions for a total of just over an hour is that they are very ugly, but very good and have gone a long way in addressing the weaknesses of the fx500.

But as they are much better than the fx500 and are in the IE8 category for dynamics IMO, I will do a side by side comparisan of the two within the next few days and do my best to compare the FX700 in relation to the IE8

Thanks for your impressions. I am really looking forward to your thoughts on the FX700. The FX500 does some things real well, and if the weaknesses are fixed, JVC/Victor may have a real winner and something that competes well in the top-tier. While my listening of the FX500 in comparison with the Copper has not changed my mind where they rank, I do understand them better and that they do many things real well.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DynamX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Joe where did you see tarn's thoughts on the coppers? I looked but can't find any. Was thinking of CK10 but not sure now with all the copper love happening.

You mean tstarn? I talk with him off site. He owns the Gold and CK10 at the moment and has the Copper on the way. And which comments were you referring to? He is a Gold supporter.

And I had 5 minutes to compare the e-Q7 with the GR8 (and think the GR8 needs more burn in time). the main difference between the two is the e-Q7 has more treble energy, but that doesn't mean the GR8 sounds lacking. They both are extremely transparent. More later after I have more listening time.

Mar 26, 2010 at 3:43 PM Post #341 of 785
Quote:

Originally Posted by cn11 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
javajive-
I highly look forward to your thoughts on the FX700's, especially with your statement that they've gone a long way to address the FX500's shortcomings... Are you referring to the 'hot' treble? Are they smoother in that regard? Honestly, if they fixed that one problem, they'd be a very compelling IEM.

x2

I'm a FX500 fanboy, and that hot treble is the only thing that keeps them from perfection for me. If the 700s fix that, they'd be godly.

Mar 26, 2010 at 4:16 PM Post #342 of 785
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hentai11 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
x2

I'm a FX500 fanboy, and that hot treble is the only thing that keeps them from perfection for me. If the 700s fix that, they'd be godly.

+ better imaging tbh as well. The FX500 has average, middle of the road imaging tbh. Personally I don't feel the hot 'treble' is a problem, particularly with a modded FX500.

Mar 26, 2010 at 4:24 PM Post #343 of 785
Average Joe, I remember you saying you heard the Miles Davis briefly and didn't really care for them. If you haven't already, I would suggest giving them an more extensive listen. Whereas I do love the Copper, I think the MDs are right up there with the e-Q7 in terms of pure sound enjoyment, although their sound signature of somewhat different. I 've been quoted in this forum in stating that the e-Q7 has the best reproduction of strings, well the MDs is a worthy opponent. I would have them at a virtual tie, except the MDs put much more weight and depth to the strings. It almost brings tears to my eyes when I hear the precision of reproduced sound. Give them a go again @ Joe buddy.

Mar 27, 2010 at 12:36 AM Post #344 of 785
CK11 and average_joe-

Yes I am referring to the treble as well as the mids both of which have much better clarity. I don't want to say much more than that at this point as I didn't have my FX500 with me on the previous occasions I listened to them. But I will bring them with me tomorrow and do a head to head comparison with the FX700 and IE8.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back