There's Something About Ultrasone…
May 30, 2009 at 6:09 PM Post #5,627 of 5,942
haloxt. Just forgot to mention the 6.3mm (1/4") plug of the DJ1 PRO. You will need an 6.3 to 3.5mm (1/4 to 1/8") adapter to connect these HPs to a portable player.

Sep 15, 2009 at 4:59 PM Post #5,628 of 5,942
Reviving this dead thread
smily_headphones1.gif

Just wanted to let people know the dimensions for the screws in the cups of Ultrasone headphones in case they need to replace it because of damage from rusting or because of too much unscrewing and screwing. M2 x 6mm metric thread cutting screw with an extra low head or wafer head, diameter of the head is about 3.6mm and the height is about 0.6mm (a bit less height for the screws holding the driver in place).

If you're buying from microfasteners.com, they don't carry the exact match. I may be wrong but I believe the one that will fit best is LPP01035, but it is plated rather than black oxide.

Alternatives are SMPPK0104 or SMFPK0104, problem with SMPPK0104 is that it's for metal rather than plastic so it has a pointy end and I'm a little afraid it might (unlikely) be too long to replace the 3 screws holding the drivers in place. I only tried SMFPK0104 and the problem with this one is that it's for metal and also it's not a flat head, but it screws all the way down fine even for the 3 screws that hold the driver in the metal board.

Anyone who needs to replace the screws, I can send 5 people 14 SMFPK0104 screws for free, pm me with mailing address if you want.

Sep 16, 2009 at 10:02 PM Post #5,629 of 5,942
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I should agree, the mids on PL750 are hollow, that was reported by many users here, and can be seen on their frequency graph. See that nasty dip?
proline750_f.gif

Haven't heard HFI-780 but their graph looks no better
hfi-780_f.gif

For comparison D5000 graph
ah-d5000_f.gif

Just got my 750 phones today. Not burned in. As soon as I put them on, I heard the dip at 290Hz shown on the graph. Overall, the phones did not sound so good. Then I used a parametric equalizer to create three filters.

1. One filter filled in the dip at 290Hz.
2. The second filter corrected the roll off above 10kHz.
3. The third filter corrected the roll off below around 30Hz.

Filters one and two really improved the sound. The dip was no longer audible. Filter three sometimes improved the sound by a hair, sometime it made the sound worse. I need to experiment with changes to filter 3.

I really, really like the sound with filters one and two. I don't think anyone hearing my sound would complain about a midrange problem. To the contrary, the midrange is now wonderful.

I was able to do the parametric corrections very quickly because I based the corrections on the graph. The excellent sounding results of the filter corrections suggests the accuracy of the graph.

It will be interesting to see what happens when the phones burn in.

Dec 24, 2009 at 10:31 PM Post #5,630 of 5,942
Received my pair of Pro 650 a few days ago from Headroom. These cans are amazing at $185.00. I'll leave all of the cliche's out. However, these cans paired with my Starving Millet hybrid is simply amazing. I tried them with my Pimeta and Mint amps and much prefer the ssmh. Fun stuff. My setup consists of:

iphone 3GS w/homemade LOD, SSMH, Ultrasone Pro 650

Severum

Dec 25, 2009 at 2:34 AM Post #5,631 of 5,942
i honestly think they are the most sophisticated designed headphone there is. they also go so far as to actually care about your ears. unfortunately the s-logic never worked right for my ears. a shame because i think they are very technologically advanced headphones and on the cutting edge of design. i am mainly talking about the editions but the other ones are very good headphones as well. i just get weird sound out of them for some reason. offset drivers always cause me a problem in any headphone. so i know what the problem is but not why. i do not have any abnormalities according to the doctor.

music_man

Jan 10, 2010 at 6:42 AM Post #5,632 of 5,942
I currently have a pair of soon to be Kees modded Ultrasone Pro900's fully burnt in, I'm currently feeding mine through the headphone amp on my beresford TC7250 DAC and I was wondering how much these benefit from a dedicated amp?

Feb 22, 2010 at 7:31 PM Post #5,633 of 5,942
Hello,
I am wondering how reliable Ultrasones are (in particular the Pro 750s), hopefully from people/someone that have owned a pair for a long while. I'm planning on keeping them stock.

Thanks!

Feb 22, 2010 at 8:59 PM Post #5,634 of 5,942
Quote:

Originally Posted by Agro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello,
I am wondering how reliable Ultrasones are (in particular the Pro 750s), hopefully from people/someone that have owned a pair for a long while. I'm planning on keeping them stock.

Thanks!

In my experience they are practically indestructable.

Feb 23, 2010 at 5:42 AM Post #5,635 of 5,942
My Pro 750 fell into pieces, the headband padding came off after just 7 month. Right speaker also went dead. A repairer tested it says its gone :p Got it off a Ebay Dealer reputable i think (maybe why?)

Pro 900 so far very good, no issues after about 6 month. Around 1000 hours so far. This time got it from the local dealer at anyrate the price in Australia was pretty acceptable :p

Both are made in Taiwan.

Feb 23, 2010 at 5:52 AM Post #5,636 of 5,942
Are you sure the 750 weren't the older proline instead of pro ? Their old models had an issue with the plastic used in the headband.

Feb 23, 2010 at 5:58 AM Post #5,637 of 5,942
Well the headband said Pro 750.. and i got a hardcase for it... Maybe the ebay (dodgy?) dealer changed the headband :p haha

The plastic had no issues. The padding under the headband fell off, because the glue no longer sticks.

However compared to the Pro 900, it is more harder, i remember i had to bend it abit, naturally spread out on a hard tin can as well because at first the clamping was pretty unbearable... I was expecting the same for Pro 900, maybe my head is now accoustomed? the Pro 900 was very soft, dont have to bend it at all, it just fits nicely.

Feb 23, 2010 at 6:04 AM Post #5,638 of 5,942
Oh ok sorry I misread your previous post.
tongue.gif

You probably had a pro version if it was an older proline, it should have been written clearly on the top of the headband.

Feb 23, 2010 at 6:09 AM Post #5,639 of 5,942
Probably wasnt lucky, s.h.i.t. happens.
smily_headphones1.gif
cant really expect any company to maintain 100% quality...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back