There's Something About Ultrasone…
Apr 16, 2009 at 5:24 PM Post #5,611 of 5,942
It´s not the source tried 4 different all high quality sources. No Ipod junk or such. Someone said that some just can´t detect sibilance it seems to be true
smily_headphones1.gif

Tried about as many amps too. I mean sibilance is in the recording often so you need a bad amp to totally remove it. Another thing you can try is watch some downloaded 24 episode that is just horrible regarding sibilance. So yes many songs are just fine with no sibilance on the PRO 900 and others are like hell and nothing you ever see from a live singer
smily_headphones1.gif
. It jumps quite some db numbers which does hurt my ears on the 900. On the K701 and 750 it´s there in the same spots but much more subdued and more acceptable. Though some find the 750 more sibilant that is totally weird though.

Another theory is since rolling off the treble helps getting it more acceptable. Seem to lower the sibilance volume more than the rest still not optimum to do that of course people which can hear higher frequencies would be more hurt by sibilance too? Believe me if you had my ears and listened to my PRO 900 headphones there would not be a debate. It can be quite a problem and picking any of my other headphones is always preferrable in this regard.

Apr 22, 2009 at 7:54 AM Post #5,612 of 5,942
Quote:

Originally Posted by oqvist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It´s not the source tried 4 different all high quality sources. No Ipod junk or such. Someone said that some just can´t detect sibilance it seems to be true
smily_headphones1.gif

Tried about as many amps too. I mean sibilance is in the recording often so you need a bad amp to totally remove it. Another thing you can try is watch some downloaded 24 episode that is just horrible regarding sibilance. So yes many songs are just fine with no sibilance on the PRO 900 and others are like hell and nothing you ever see from a live singer
smily_headphones1.gif
. It jumps quite some db numbers which does hurt my ears on the 900. On the K701 and 750 it´s there in the same spots but much more subdued and more acceptable. Though some find the 750 more sibilant that is totally weird though.

Another theory is since rolling off the treble helps getting it more acceptable. Seem to lower the sibilance volume more than the rest still not optimum to do that of course people which can hear higher frequencies would be more hurt by sibilance too? Believe me if you had my ears and listened to my PRO 900 headphones there would not be a debate. It can be quite a problem and picking any of my other headphones is always preferrable in this regard.

if you want to EQ out sibilance eq the 11KHZ range down.

but on a difrent question how much voltage is needed in an amp to drive the proline 2500's properly, they get plenty loud enough out of my sound card just i think theirs something missing.

Apr 22, 2009 at 8:23 AM Post #5,613 of 5,942
Thanks

They need a lot of current not voltage from what I have read. There is a big difference running then unamped yes. If you want a richer sound with lots of body but without the bloat you get running unamped the Canamp is really nice. I liked it better on the 750 then the 900 since the 900 has quite a bit of bass in it already. The soundstage is the best I have seen so far in an amp but I haven´t passed the 600$ limit as of yet.

Apr 22, 2009 at 10:19 AM Post #5,614 of 5,942
Quote:

Originally Posted by oqvist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks

They need a lot of current not voltage from what I have read. There is a big difference running then unamped yes. If you want a richer sound with lots of body but without the bloat you get running unamped the Canamp is really nice. I liked it better on the 750 then the 900 since the 900 has quite a bit of bass in it already. The soundstage is the best I have seen so far in an amp but I haven´t passed the 600$ limit as of yet.

uh nu-uh too expensive for me. im not paying 600 for an amp.

but what spec would i be looking for to indicate good "current" im sure it issent MW because i dont need them to go any louder than they do. so would voltage swing be it?

Apr 22, 2009 at 10:50 AM Post #5,615 of 5,942
Ask in the science forum I would recommend
smily_headphones1.gif

Canamp doesn´t cost 600$ new though around 300-350 euro.

Apr 22, 2009 at 11:08 AM Post #5,616 of 5,942
uh i seen one from a "authorized dealer" for 599 cad and plus im cheap and cant afford to drop 2 or 3 hundred on an amp. i managed to get my prolines for 80cad shipped. thats why i have them.

Apr 23, 2009 at 9:28 AM Post #5,617 of 5,942
Hi

I received my Pro 900 and the headphones look really nice indeed.

I however haven't been able to listen to them properly, as the 6.5 to 3.5 adapter was faulty (i.e. making quite a lot of distortion), so I will need to wait few more days to have a proper go at them (they are currently burning-in anyway).

One thing I noticed, though, is that they have a padded area on the top. After few hours of use I felt they were a bit uncomfortable, making the top of my head a bit sore. Has anybody experienced similar issue with this padded area? Does it get any softer after use?

Apr 23, 2009 at 10:16 AM Post #5,618 of 5,942
Quote:

Originally Posted by edu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi

I received my Pro 900 and the headphones look really nice indeed.

I however haven't been able to listen to them properly, as the 6.5 to 3.5 adapter was faulty (i.e. making quite a lot of distortion), so I will need to wait few more days to have a proper go at them (they are currently burning-in anyway).

One thing I noticed, though, is that they have a padded area on the top. After few hours of use I felt they were a bit uncomfortable, making the top of my head a bit sore. Has anybody experienced similar issue with this padded area? Does it get any softer after use?

Try extending one, or both, of the earcups down another notch, which will help raise that stupid pad up a little, so that it presses less on your head. That worked for me. Sometimes a small adjustment makes a big difference. Try it and see if it helps.
Lots of peeps run afoul of that pad.

Also, be sure the earcup plug is securely and tightly screwed into the earcup -- it must be screwed in until firmly seated. NOT a press-fit that can be pulled right out.

Apr 23, 2009 at 11:14 AM Post #5,619 of 5,942
Yup I noticed it too. I have a sweet spot on both the 750 and 900 where it disappears but it´s really on the margin. You can bend the headband too. Search dexdexter and look in his sig.

Apr 23, 2009 at 9:10 PM Post #5,620 of 5,942
Thanks, that's a very interesting guide.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/2821957-post2902.html

Quote:

Users have also raised concerns that the padding on the top of the Ultrasone headband is thinner than that found on headphones from other manufacturers. In my experience (and, yes, I also wear glasses), I've managed to adjust the headband so that the top is just barely resting on my head so that I'm virtually unaware of any contact up there.

For me, the Ultrasone headband design, if far from perfect, is ultimately very smart in its own way, in that it distributes the pressure along a 3-point triangular axis, without relying too heavily on either the top or the ear-pads as exclusive pressure points.

But if one has them adjusted so that they fit like other headphones, i.e. depending on either the very top or the sides to accept a disproportionate share of the load, then I can certainly understand how they might be uncomfortable.

I understand what he is saying, the headband pad helps distribute the headphone pressure between the ear-cups and the headband. I just find that since it is so thin (and a bit hard at least brand new), it concentrates the pressure in a much smaller area of the head, thus making it more noticeable (and thus more annoying). Had the pad been wider, the pressure would have been distributed among a larger area, thus making it - in my humble opinion - less noticeable.

I'll have to experiment and see what happens.

May 16, 2009 at 9:25 AM Post #5,622 of 5,942
Nils Lofgren Accoustics Live give it a try it´s like made for the PRO 900 it seems.

May 28, 2009 at 9:25 AM Post #5,623 of 5,942
Count me in. I am a new DJ1 PRO, 650 PRO and 900 PRO owner

May 28, 2009 at 11:34 AM Post #5,624 of 5,942
o_O How did you score so many lol. Grats on them though, how does the Kees modded Pro 900 compare with the ALO-780? And how is the DJ1 Pro? Was tempted to get one for my sister but decided to hold off for the new Zino because it goes good with portable players.

May 30, 2009 at 1:59 PM Post #5,625 of 5,942
Quote:

Originally Posted by haloxt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...how does the Kees modded Pro 900 compare with the ALO-780? ...

They sound quite different.
First impression. ALO-780 has some hollowness in the sound. 900 PRO Kees modded (900 PRO-K for briefness) sound without that hollowness.
Bass. 900 PRO-K has more punchy bass, and a little less quantity of bass. Both HPs have very fast bass.
Midrange. Quite the same in both HPs. Vocals are considerably detailed IMO.
Treble. Equally detailed in both HPs. But 900 PRO-K's highs are harsher, ALO-780's highs are more restful.
Scene. Is wider in 900 PRO-K.

My personal favorite is 900 PRO-K. IMO, they have in a whole more natural sound. But both HPs are cool.

Quote:

Originally Posted by haloxt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...And how is the DJ1 Pro? Was tempted to get one for my sister but decided to hold off for the new Zino because it goes good with portable players.

Sound quite good. With clear spatial sound, punchy fast bass, precise mids and detailed highs.

They sound better than any of Denon D1001, Audio-Technica ATH-M50 or Sennheiser HD-25-1, for example. And, BTW, are rather loud feeded from a Cowon D2 (while settings are at 46-50/50 marks of volume).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back