There's Something About Ultrasone…
Apr 14, 2009 at 1:34 PM Post #5,596 of 5,942
It's entirely up to your personal preference. For me I prefer taking my E500s when traveling rather than taking my HFI-780s. But some don't prefer IEMs. This doesn't necessarily mean that I am not willing to take 780s with me outside as they could shut some dB of outside world. I feel D2000s are one of the best set of closed cans along with my 780s.

Apr 14, 2009 at 5:58 PM Post #5,597 of 5,942
I never knew what Sibliance was til I tried 2x OPA2134 I/V in combo with 2xOPA627AU's buffer with my HFi-780 its the only time I heard super pricing highs, but it was only because of the 2x OPA2134 in my I/V I was using.

But while not using OPA2134 I never notice any of it.

Apr 15, 2009 at 11:30 PM Post #5,598 of 5,942
Quote:

Originally Posted by oqvist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
somestranger never hear sibilance in for example REMs Albums?

Sorry, I don't have any music by REM, I just have found the high frequencies to be very "true" sounding, not piercing or bright but just right, not sibilant. Could it be your source? I've experienced no sibilance straight from my laptop, my zune, my prelude, nor either of my amps.

Quote:

Originally Posted by genclaymore /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I never knew what Sibliance was til I tried 2x OPA2134 I/V in combo with 2xOPA627AU's buffer with my HFi-780 its the only time I heard super pricing highs, but it was only because of the 2x OPA2134 in my I/V I was using.

But while not using OPA2134 I never notice any of it.

I'm a fan of the bass response on the OPA2134, and haven't heard any sibilance with it. I might have had some with the LM4562 on my Prelude, but I don't remember -- I switched because the LM4562 sounds booooooooring from it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by edu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, I didn't! So thanks for letting me know.
As a matter of fact, I hadn’t even heard about Ultrasone until yesterday (ok, probably the wrong forum to make this confession...)

Basically after the D2000's, I bought the Sennheiser PXC 450 (0 noise leakage). They are not bad, I've heard their drivers are based on the HD550. The issue here is that while they cost £250, it is just £100 worth of music quality, and the rest is down to the noise cancelling circuit.

So for some act of inspiration while listening to my PXC 450s yesterday (and bank holiday boredom I suppose) I came to the "bright idea", what if I found a closed can with minimum noise leakage that was £250 worth of music quality instead? And this is how I ended up here...

Haha, don't feel bad for not knowing about Ultrasone... I'd been lurking head-fi for months before I knew much anything about them. I've been really, really impressed with the Pro 900, because to me they sound like the $375 I paid for them, plus all those nice features like the detachable cables, foldable/transportable (and they still sound beautiful out of my NIM) design, and the hard case. Something like a case doesn't really seem like much, but when I can put everything in one case (inc. my Zune, Icon Mobile, phone, Westone 3, both cables, both sets of earpads...) it's just really impressive to me.

Apr 16, 2009 at 5:49 AM Post #5,599 of 5,942
Sibilance is part of many many recordings so if you have a good source or amp you should hear it quite often if you listen to a lot of songs. The problem I got with the PRO 900 is that it gets ear piercing at times
smily_headphones1.gif
Do your amps have rolled of highs perhaps? That certainly helps quite a bit reducing the volume of it but I still hear it though. The 900 can of course play high without distortion and sibilance and such but that´s another thing.

Apr 16, 2009 at 6:51 AM Post #5,600 of 5,942
None of the music I have has sibilance as part of the recording (The Westone 3s would tell me all about it
smily_headphones1.gif
). What tube are you using in the EF1? The Sylvania (or cleartop RCA) it comes with might be why the highs are piercing. The Mullard really makes the highs sound good (takes them down a notch from the high-centric Sylvania, and also corrects for the mid recession), and they don't seem rolled off to me.

Apr 16, 2009 at 6:59 AM Post #5,601 of 5,942
I sold the EF-1 am running denon amp, pimeta, straight out from soundcard, Canamp doesnt matter much even thoug there is slight differences
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 16, 2009 at 7:52 AM Post #5,603 of 5,942
Quote:

Originally Posted by genclaymore /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I never knew what Sibliance was til I tried 2x OPA2134 I/V in combo with 2xOPA627AU's buffer with my HFi-780 its the only time I heard super pricing highs, but it was only because of the 2x OPA2134 in my I/V I was using. But while not using OPA2134 I never notice any of it.

The opamp is not the source of the sibilance. An opamp does not function independently, it functions as part of a circuit. If you hear something bad when replacing an opamp it is a compatibility problem with the particular circuit, probably caused by overloading and/or oscillation. When running correctly a OPA2134 has very low distortion and certainly adds no sibilance to the source. Next time you hear bad results from a random opamp swap, try checking the signals with a high speed oscilloscope!

Apr 16, 2009 at 10:52 AM Post #5,604 of 5,942
The Ultrasone PRO series do show sibilance quite well from my experience. The 750 shows it just as much as the K701 but it doesn´t scream it into my ears as much
smily_headphones1.gif

As mentioned I tried different sources and none of them remove sibilance. HD 650 does it pretty damn good hardly never any sibilance even with REM.

Wonder if it´s ear shape that does make this so different... I have over sized dumbo ears. Work as parabol antennas perhaps
wink.gif

Apr 16, 2009 at 11:48 AM Post #5,605 of 5,942
Quote:

The Ultrasone PRO series do show sibilance quite well from my experience. The 750 shows it just as much as the K701 but it doesn´t scream it into my ears as much
smily_headphones1.gif

As mentioned I tried different sources and none of them remove sibilance. HD 650 does it pretty damn good hardly never any sibilance even with REM.

[size=xx-small]sibilance -
1. hissing.
2. characterized by a hissing sound; noting sounds like those spelled with s.
3. Of, characterized by, or producing a hissing sound like that of (s) or (sh)[/size]

Not to be the dictionary police or anything, but is this what you folks are really hearing? While the Ultrasone titanium drivers (2500/750/900/E7/E9's) are quite detailed, including the upper FR regions, I have never heard "sibiliance", even in un-burnt in pairs. Some recordings and/or upstream components and/or personal preferences do not match well with that detailed characteristic.

The 650's & 2200's tend to be more forgiving in that area.

Apr 16, 2009 at 1:18 PM Post #5,606 of 5,942
No not hiss it´s the SSSSSssshibilanssce...

Apr 16, 2009 at 1:43 PM Post #5,607 of 5,942
I *usually* do not hear any sibilance in any of my cans....
I left my "sibilance-detecting high-frequency hearing" on one of the many stages in my career....
I think there are many in a similar situation, as to why sibilance bothers some, and not others. Not just can-specific.
I bet I am not the *only* one on here, that actually LOOKS for cans that exhibit some sibilance, because then I know it will have the highs that I look for and need.
For example -- my PRO 750 has shown me NO sibilance.
My HFI-780 -- very little. Very.
But, I admit that my many Grados sometimes are over-the-top on highs, even for me -- *but* it totally depends on how the music was recorded, as always.

Apr 16, 2009 at 1:53 PM Post #5,608 of 5,942
It's like getting ssseasssick, having something go sss sss sss so close to your ear can be unnerving like riding a boat. Sadly sss sss ss is what Pro 900 seems to always show, and it's not euphonic to everyone's ears, for example some English accents never use sibilance, and you know how irritated people can get hearing different accents.

Apr 16, 2009 at 2:28 PM Post #5,609 of 5,942
Quote:

No not hiss it´s the SSSSSssshibilanssce...

Yes, not "audio" background hiss, but a hissing from the consonant letter, such as the "s", as you describe.
Quote:

Originally Posted by haloxt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's like getting ssseasssick, having something go sss sss sss so close to your ear can be unnerving like riding a boat. Sadly sss sss ss is what Pro 900 seems to always show.

Again, I have never heard this from any of the Ultrasones I've owned or heard, stock or recabled, new or burnt-in (never heard the PRO900's though). I'm more inclined to think this comes from the source gear or recording. Possibly the amp.

Apr 16, 2009 at 3:13 PM Post #5,610 of 5,942
Quote:

Originally Posted by murrays /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The opamp is not the source of the sibilance. An opamp does not function independently, it functions as part of a circuit. If you hear something bad when replacing an opamp it is a compatibility problem with the particular circuit, probably caused by overloading and/or oscillation. When running correctly a OPA2134 has very low distortion and certainly adds no sibilance to the source. Next time you hear bad results from a random opamp swap, try checking the signals with a high speed oscilloscope!

I dont have a high speed oscilloscope, i dont even know what that is heh. I know it sound great with LMA4562s i had back in because I put my EMI shield back on my card. But when I took the shield off I decide to test my OPA627AU to make sure it didnt die,because I thought it did but it was just the stupid EMI shield.

All I know the OPA2134 didnt sound the way they suppose to when used in combo with OPA627's because thats when I got those ear hurting highs. When before I was using them with the LMA4562 that I didnt. I already had the OPA627AU's from owning a prelude.

I know its the combo of the two the OPA2134 and the OPA627AU which cause the high ear hurting highs,it wouldnt make since as the default ones that was in my I/V didnt do it with the Two OPA627AU in my buffer. It just OPA2134+OPA627 is a no no to my headphones, while OPA2134+ LMA4562 is a yes.

BTW:I dont need to solder any thing, I have 3 dip 8 sockets on my sound card, Two of them is I/V Dip8 sockets, the last one is Buffer dip8 sockets. The I/V's is where the OPA2134+ was and the Buffer is where the two OPA627's are. Like the Xonar STX.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back