There's Something About Ultrasone…
Feb 28, 2010 at 7:06 PM Post #5,656 of 5,942
Quote:

Originally Posted by Agro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It has to be my onboard soundcard, i tried it on my brother's computer and several other sources and they are perfectly fine.

I'm just going to get the Xonar Essence ST and call it a day.

Yeah that's the only place I can think of... for a temporary fix just play with those settings until it sounds evenly balanced. EDIT: Also check foobar/winamp for balance.

For the price of the Xonar Essence ST you could get a desktop DAC/amp, like a Zero or similar... this will power the Ultrasones a lot better and is somewhat customizable through op-amps. Change out both amp and DAC op-amps and you'll have yourself a very nice setup, I highly recommend it!

Feb 28, 2010 at 7:13 PM Post #5,657 of 5,942
Quote:

Originally Posted by Graphicism /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For the price of the Xonar Essence ST you could get a desktop DAC/amp, like a Zero or similar... this will power the Ultrasones a lot better and is somewhat customizable through op-amps.

This is a good recommendation and definitely something to consider; however there is no guarantee the Zero would power them better, especially after comparing their specifications, and the Essence ST and STX are also op-amp customizable.

Feb 28, 2010 at 7:19 PM Post #5,658 of 5,942
Quote:

Originally Posted by subtle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is a good recommendation and definitely something to consider; however there is no guarantee the Zero would power them better, especially after comparing their specifications, and the Essence ST and STX are also op-amp customizable.

The only draw back to the Zero is as demand grew manufacturing got sloppy and many units have been known to fail, my advice buy used. If the Zero was made in the states you would easily be looking at a price tag of around $400-$600. I would always choose an external DAC over a sound card for the same reason I choose desktop over portable. Unless you have no desk room don't compromise on smaller parts.

May 15, 2010 at 7:22 AM Post #5,660 of 5,942
Fiio E5 won't pass for anything, imo
biggrin.gif

Jun 27, 2010 at 7:25 PM Post #5,662 of 5,942
I just reacquired the PRO 2500 (I used to own the original ProLine 2500).

What the hail have they done to this headphone? It is now a bass heavy, amorphous mess.

Jun 27, 2010 at 9:15 PM Post #5,663 of 5,942
There should be little to no sonic difference between the PRO2500 & the Proline 2500, save individual unit variances.

And at the risk of sounding like a broken record, burn them in for ~200hrs & check back with us.

Jun 28, 2010 at 2:47 AM Post #5,665 of 5,942

Quote:
I just reacquired the PRO 2500 (I used to own the original ProLine 2500).

What the hail have they done to this headphone? It is now a bass heavy, amorphous mess.

In the past I found the 2500 to have a lot of bass until it's been burned in for 250-300 hours or more, and that in the first 100 hours the sound gets worse before it gets better.

Jun 28, 2010 at 3:48 PM Post #5,666 of 5,942

Quote:
In the past I found the 2500 to have a lot of bass until it's been burned in for 250-300 hours or more, and that in the first 100 hours the sound gets worse before it gets better.

...and that is what seems to be happening. They sound worse now than they did when I first listened. Weird.

Anyway, I'll keep at it..

Jun 28, 2010 at 6:01 PM Post #5,667 of 5,942

Quote:
...and that is what seems to be happening. They sound worse now than they did when I first listened. Weird.

Anyway, I'll keep at it..

yeah, it's weird but I've made the correct call every time with those.  
tongue.gif

Jun 30, 2010 at 1:14 AM Post #5,668 of 5,942
I can also attest to the weird burn-in period.  Out of the box, my HFI-780s sounded quite nice actually, I didn't hear any of the sibilance many people complained of, and while there was a nice amount of bass (much better than my previous ATH-M50), the bass floor sounded rather high, maybe ~80-90hz.  Both the bass and highs have extended nicely so far for the ~40hrs I've burned them in so far.  It's got a rather warm presentation (after a bit of EQing).

Also a note about the sound, does anyone else feel like they're hearing an actual subwoofer when listening to these? I swear that I can hear air moving in and out of a subwoofer's port.  Combined with the slam of studio monitors, wow, it's like Jesus farting on my ears.

Jun 30, 2010 at 7:01 PM Post #5,669 of 5,942
Yes, these had very strong bass. I think it has something to do with the fact that the driver is attached to a large flat piece of metal rather than plastic and everything is screwed in tightly. The tighter the tolerances, the more solid the bottom end, perhaps?

Jul 22, 2010 at 9:51 AM Post #5,670 of 5,942
Hi guys, I am looking to delve into the Ultrasone world and can spend up to 300$ which puts all but the Pro 900 and the HFI 2500 in my price range. I have heard good things about the HFI 780, about the pro 650 and the pro 750 and they are my current front runners. I mostly listen to DnB/Dubstep and bass heavy music, but also rock and hip hop and other genres. I plan on using them as mostly portables, so the portability (I know they are mostly home phones) also plays a part. Would a iBasso D4 Mamba drive these any of them  really well? Please help me out, tell me what the pros/cons of each phones are in comparison to the others.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back