The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Jan 27, 2024 at 6:22 PM Post #79,906 of 89,073
Actually snorted water out my nose, so thank you for that.

One of my posts got deleted too. And a bunch of Rockwells. I smell a conspiracy here.

"The game is a foot!"
--my podiatrist, probably
Nah, it's just the Time Variance Authority in action.

Jan 27, 2024 at 6:22 PM Post #79,907 of 89,073
Conventional wisdom is out the window with Quattro!! I've put a cable on it that costs 2x the IEM!! Insanity occurring here!

Enjoy what you have because that's what's best! And yes, CJ is almost here, counting the days! Looking forward to meeting you there!

Music and photography for me since I was an early teen, with Walkmen, buds, and a Pentax K1000. Things have certainly improved since then, but I can't say the enjoyment has...i loved that stuff then as much as I love my stuff today.

But today me is much older, a bit (perhaps too little) more mature, and have a perspective that young me didn't have. For the most part, that's what's great about being an adult. But the sheer feelings of excitement from experiencing art (music) thru gear and creating art (photography) with gear remain awfully similar.

I had a few days to do some direct a/b of both my own Black Star and the tour Bonneville but still have yet to get it all written and posted.
20240125_151806.jpg

I think I'll ultimately come down on saying they are more similar than not. They have the same drivers in different shells with no good explanation for the price difference except to say Black Star buyers are getting a real deal, as if the Bonneville buyers weren't already enjoying the best buy around.

Both have generous bass and the same bottom - up tuning approach. To my ears, Bonneville has slightly more bass, most in the mid bass. The difference is not huge but noticeable in the mids and treble which get a bit less color from the bass, making BS a little more "open" sounding with vocals jumping out a bit more. I also found the Bonneville stage to be wider and more linear while the BS to have more height and depth. Still, these are surely brothers from the same mother and superior for their pricing.

If there was a feeling that CFA botched the early 2023 releases, they have certainly outdone themselves with the way they closed out the year on the budget side. BS was the last iem I bought in 2023, and it's providing as much joy as any other I have ever bought, so CFA fanboy, I have become.

Edit: I'm going to posit that BS is less $ because it was less r&d cost. I think they took Bonneville drivers and put them in an existing shell.
Interesting comparison between BS and Bonneville, surprised that BS generated such less discussions compared to Bonneville given their similarity.

Jan 27, 2024 at 6:26 PM Post #79,908 of 89,073
Yeah, I'm not at all religious about driver configs, as long as the IEM tuning is tastefully executed in a way that lets me just enjoy the music. I'd rather have a variety of different configs to suit different listening set ups, music etc.

To that end, I think I've finally found an all-DD that agrees with me in the humble 7hz Legato:

I've struggled with many other single/all-DD's such as Perpetua, Advar, and Trifecta, each of them having a nasty, wince-inducing peak or 3 somewhere that I found unacceptable. Legato, however, is very true to it's name, and I've found myself completely lost in music despite its shortcomings. Yes, it's lacking a bit in precision and detail retrieval, and doesn't have quite the massive stage as Trifecta, but it is (checks notes) 1/30th the price of that IEM. For a daily-driver I'll probably use out and around commuting a lot, this is an easy choice.
Compared to Isa? Isa is now my ultimate benchmark for single DD IEM.

PS, I just googled and found out Legato is a dual DD IEM. My DD collection is growing after Isa, I got 1 DD Focus EDM before, and now I have 4 DD Quattro, and 634ears single DD incoming.

PS after PS: just found a very hash review calling Legato one trick bass pony by @tombrisbane:

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/7hz-legato.26411/

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2024 at 6:31 PM Post #79,909 of 89,073
Listened to some of my favourite composers tonight with @tgx78 performed by Assante Vc Masterworks:

Tchaikovsky’s Symphony No. 4 & Liszt’s Piano Concerto No. 2

Messenger_creation_ee7a4664-585e-4aa5-abc3-5dc2bdb471e0.jpeg

Spellbinding to say the least. The way the orchestra members moved their instruments in unison was hypnotic.

IMG_20240126_231347_894.jpg

Highlights and observations:​

• The insane macro dynamic contrasts with live instruments. For comparison during quiet moments it was as if my volume was at 5 then it would shoot up to 70. Even during those quiet sections I can make out the nuances and the note weight.
  • The grand presentation. Huge stage height and depth where I was surrounded by the music. Good recommendation from Jim for our sitting arrangement (balcony left side) where we were able to see the performers fingers move. A highlight was Macedonian pianist Simon Trpceski bursting with animation and emotion during the Liszt section.
  • Tonality and timbre: Instruments individual voicings were more distinct. Looking at strings, the cellos resonance being longer than violins, the low end reach of double bass. In general across the board compared to what I am used to there seemed to be a lot less bass quantity I could "feel" and less upper mids with more a fuller sound.
  • The atmosphere and connection between the audience members and performers was palpable and contagious.
20240126_210047.jpg
Excited to attend more!
Fascinating impressions, an excellent idea to describe interactive audio experiences with the notes that we use for recorded audio experiences.

Jan 27, 2024 at 6:32 PM Post #79,910 of 89,073
Nah, it's just the Time Variance Authority in action.
Legit probably the best thing to come out of Marvel in the last decade or so.

Man, I miss when superhero flicks (and films in general) used to have actual scores. I know I'm throwing shade, but give me a John Williams or Hans Zimmer orchestra over whatever half the background tracks are in most popcorn flicks these days. 99% of what I've heard pumped out since Silvestri's Avengers theme are just constant variations of the modern Flash television show opening, that same few notes of "doo doo doo doo doo doo doo doo".

The fact that Godzilla Minus One got an Oscar nomination for visual effects but nothing for the score is a damned crime in my eyes (and ears).

Jan 27, 2024 at 6:40 PM Post #79,911 of 89,073
I did not see @HiFiHawaii808's comments regarding mental health issue were directly towards you. I understand the furious of many users towards UM's practice, but UM did not force anyone to buy, nor put up bunch of people here to promote their products.

On the other hand, don't expect people to treat everyone the same, many of us have met in person multiple times and are familiar enough with each other to judge a person's intention.

As @aaf evo mentioned, even if the new UM flagship is $4k cheaper, I won't buy them since I am not the kind of customers they are looking for. I would just focus on those I can afford and willing to buy, in the meantime, I will still go ahead to demo those expensive IEMs and maybe one day I may change my mind and lift my upper limit of IEM budget.

Oh you didn't see how those comments directly were an implication on me? Try reading harder and/or better.

Also the Karen thing? You do know the whole point of that name is a personal attack right? But of course, not when you are completely biased.

So this is a boys club where people have met in person, or just agree with each other more, so you treat them differently. Thanks for verifying the exact bias I was pointing out.

Just lost a lot of respect for head-fi. I'm sure this nonsense is relegated to a small minority of members, so most are cool, but the moderation is clearly biased and openly admitted. And that is a big problem.

Bigly sad.

As far as the price points, I am not in any way against expensive hobbies. I mean christ, look at the stuff in my sig, it's over 10K in gear, not counting speakers or anything. That's what's sadly hilarious about all your little boys club members getting all miffed about my merely pointing out certain things about products and pricing and greed. I mean how offended you elitists get - as if no company ever and product has been about greed or priced for greed, the outrage at someone even just saying that! or how that even just affects our society in general. I mean these are completely relevant topics.

I think some people here need more thicker skin, rather than relying on getting special treatment by friends because words that have meaning behind them make them upset.

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2024 at 6:41 PM Post #79,912 of 89,073
Totally! You should take a stand and go somewhere else. Be the example!

Appreciate your open support of total hypocrisy and double standards. You sound full of great character. Pleased to not meet you.

Jan 27, 2024 at 6:44 PM Post #79,913 of 89,073

IMG_9559.jpeg

I’ve recently come full ⭕

I’ve owned both of these wonderful and beautiful pieces of gear before and it’s been about a year since I owned Traillii last. I’m embarrassed to admit I’ve owned the Bird now 4 times 🤭 but this time it’s staying as I finally got the infamous @AxLvR design!! Famous last words I know. But this synergy is my nirvana. P6pro is the lightest and easiest portable option I’ve ever used. I’m completely smitten and happy even with news of the new new shiny shiny’s coming out. Cheers to you my friends and may we all find our bliss in the music! 🎶 ☮️🍻
May you enjoy the Bird. Hopefully it can build a good nest inside of your home.

Jan 27, 2024 at 6:44 PM Post #79,914 of 89,073
Legit probably the best thing to come out of Marvel in the last decade or so.

Man, I miss when superhero flicks (and films in general) used to have actual scores. I know I'm throwing shade, but give me a John Williams or Hans Zimmer orchestra over whatever half the background tracks are in most popcorn flicks these days. 99% of what I've heard pumped out since Silvestri's Avengers theme are just constant variations of the modern Flash television show opening, that same few notes of "doo doo doo doo doo doo doo doo".

The fact that Godzilla Minus One got an Oscar nomination for visual effects but nothing for the score is a damned crime in my eyes (and ears).

I was fortunate to grow up in something of a golden age of movie scores. John Barry, John Williams, Ennio Morricone, Jerry Goldsmith...the list goes on and on. Unfortunately most seem to have forgotten the importance of good music in providing the emotional DNA of a movie.

Jan 27, 2024 at 7:09 PM Post #79,915 of 89,073
Picture from taobao. Choice of DD or BA. Most expensive option 189rmb

【淘宝】https://m.tb.cn/h.5IqGLvkkSm9vJJ9?tk=3N4KW83VFhO CZ0000 「LY Acoustic大葫芦动圈铁diy定制可换线mmcx个性mbl葫芦耳机ly-hl」
点击链接直接打开 或者 淘宝搜索直接打开

IMG_1269.jpeg
Thanks! I just ordered the 1DD1BA version 😅 will share impression once I receive that

Jan 27, 2024 at 7:10 PM Post #79,916 of 89,073
I was fortunate to grow up in something of a golden age of movie scores. John Barry, John Williams, Ennio Morricone, Jerry Goldsmith...the list goes on and on. Unfortunately most seem to have forgotten the importance of good music in providing the emotional DNA of a movie.

Absolutely! Don't forget James Horner; the Star Trek II soundtrack is on point! And Aliens...

Edit: and Willow!

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2024 at 7:18 PM Post #79,917 of 89,073
Oh you didn't see how those comments directly were an implication on me? Try reading harder and/or better.

Also the Karen thing? You do know the whole point of that name is a personal attack right? But of course, not when you are completely biased.

So this is a boys club where people have met in person, or just agree with each other more, so you treat them differently. Thanks for verifying the exact bias I was pointing out.

Just lost a lot of respect for head-fi. I'm sure this nonsense is relegated to a small minority of members, so most are cool, but the moderation is clearly biased and openly admitted. And that is a big problem.

Bigly sad.

As far as the price points, I am not in any way against expensive hobbies. I mean christ, look at the stuff in my sig, it's over 10K in gear, not counting speakers or anything. That's what's sadly hilarious about all your little boys club members getting all miffed about my merely pointing out certain things about products and pricing and greed. I mean how offended you elitists get - as if no company ever and product has been about greed or priced for greed, the outrage at someone even just saying that! or how that even just affects our society in general. I mean these are completely relevant topics.

I think some people here need more thicker skin, rather than relying on getting special treatment by friends because words that have meaning behind them make them upset.
People here are free to express their own opinions. I did not disagree with your claim that UM is greedy, but I just try to express my own view that for-profit companies are all greedy, just in different degree. On the hand, @HiFiHawaii808's post was also NOT to shut you or others down, he simply indicated that blaming or worrying things (such as UM's marketing practice) out of your control is useless.

We have too many negative things happening in our world now, and if there is anything I can observe from watercooler thread is that we try to promote a positive attitude in this hobby, not that we don't have things we don't like or even hate, such as IEMs we don't like, but instead of we are focusing on things we love.

At least from your recent few posts, you are full of negativity, and I respect you as a fellow audiophile, but I hope you won't always like that in your posts.

Jan 27, 2024 at 7:24 PM Post #79,918 of 89,073
Sometimes, I really wish we had more options than "like" 😂. I know there's ignore, but so far, I've been able to avoid it.

@PixelSquish why did you change your username? It suited your social interactions.

Jan 27, 2024 at 7:40 PM Post #79,919 of 89,073
Hi Cooler fam’ :)

Sorry for spoiling all the fun about the UM pricing debate, but I just wanted to share some cool stuff that happened this week!! :ksc75smile:

I finally got the opportunity to meet my first Cooler friend in the flesh!! On Tuesday night after work I got to meet no less than my P0 bro who was in business trip in Shanghai!! The one and only @Crazeee !! :ksc75smile:

It was so cool to meet him, such a cool guy!! We spent more time eating and chatting than actually demoing gear, but that’s actually the coolest part of the hobby! Meeting like minded folks! :)

We still manage to find some time to demo each other’s gear, and man! What a table of gear that was!! :D You don’t see all those goodies laying next to each others very often!! To be fair @Crazeee did most of the heavy lifting!! :D

IMG_4432.jpeg
IMG_4435.jpeg

From left to right:

DAPs : ibasso DC Elite, L&P P6 Pro Ti, Cayin N30 LE AP.

IEMs : Audeze LCD i4, Simphonio P0 (unit #12), Canpur CP622B custom, Fatfreq Gran Maestro, Noble Viking Prestige, Noble Viking Damascus, Noble Viking Ragnar, Simphonio P0 (unit #2), Noble Prestige Muzige, Noble Prestige Nodachi, Rosenkranz Silver HB Ruthenium, Elysian Annihilator 2023.

Cables (just the most notables) : Beat Audio Orbit Saga, PWA FTS, Noble Magnus 8 braids Damascus, Beat Audio Billow MK1, PWA Meet Agains.

No need to say that it was quite an enjoyable demo session!!

My personal highlights :

All the Noble Prestige were quite the lookers, but for me the most beautiful and unique looking of all was the Viking Damascus!! A real sight to behold!!
For the sound though, during my fairly short A/B, I couldn’t spot any significant differences between my Ragnar and the Prestige and Damascus. I’m not saying there’s no difference at all , but it was really minute and there was nothing that couldn’t come just from unit variation or the different cables they were paired with IMHO.
The one that felt slightly smoother was the Prestige, but it was paired with PWA FTS.

One of my favorite was the Gran Maestro. Very nice set overall! I was expecting something more bass focused but it’s actually very well balanced with excellent mids and treble extension. Pretty cool stuff!

The 2 other Prestige sets (Nodachi and MuZiGe), were really unique sounding IEMs! I’ve never heard anything sounding like those 2. They definitely would deserve so brain burn in for me to give some sort of judgement. They were both technically excellent!

One of the highlights was the Beat Audio Orbit Saga! Crazy cable!! Such a beauty and it sounds awesome! I forgot to take pictures, but here is a pic I took the first time I demoed it against PWA Orpheus S :
Really glad we have squeezed a Tuesday night out despite the tough work schedule! :) My pleasure to meet you and great fun night that we had talking more than demoing! :) The Orbit Saga cable is still my favorite today, great ergonomics and it can match with quite many sets on my hand.

I like your Rosenkranz Silver HB Ruthenium as well! Very warm and relaxing sound without sacrificing too much technicalities despite being a tiny 1DD set.

See you next time probably in EU! Safe flight @Junmoe62

Jan 27, 2024 at 7:42 PM Post #79,920 of 89,073
Absolutely! Don't forget James Horner; the Star Trek II soundtrack is on point! And Aliens...

Edit: and Willow!
I'll just say it. I know people hate the reboot movies, but the score was good. It was exciting and different with so many note throwbacks to the original that it made me chuckle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back