The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Jan 27, 2024 at 2:19 PM Post #79,876 of 90,102
Watercooler, if someone has a link to reviews for CA Bonneville and CA LE Blackstar please let me know. Have a trade offer for a Ronin and looking for some advice as I am not super familiar with CA. I believe @Rockwell75 you have very favorable impressions for the Bonneville. Have you heard the CA LE Blackstar? Thank you Watercooler for your help and expertise.

I just received mine! I think Sajid Amid reviews are spot-on with what I hear out of the Bonneville! I can't control my smile right now just dang smitten with its big and expansive sound! It's impressive it only took literally 5 minutes of burn-in from first hitting play from restrained to completely sounding the same as I've heard it out of the meetup! Wow!

I wonder if CFA actually burned-in the unit before they ship it lol due to the 5 minutes of burn-in
1706383300619.png

1706383107436.png

Jan 27, 2024 at 2:24 PM Post #79,877 of 90,102
UM is very smart. They put out the $8499 IEM to get attention to their brand. People talk about it, they probably lose money on them due to small volumes, and then people end up buying thousands of $1500 MEST products. As nice as the high end products are, they do not pay the salaries of all UM employees. MEST does.

I think I shared this before, but when I worked in electrical retail in the late 90s, we had the very first Philips 42” ‘cool green’ plasma TV - it sold for about £15,000 (Irish punts, before €) at the time which is probably not far off $30k today - sold maybe 1 a month and this was in an upmarket department store. It was positioned at the entrance to the electrical department and looked absolutely stunning having come from decades of CRTV chunky TVs up to maybe 32” - people were amazed by the plasma, but generally looked at us in horror when they heard the price! - however, they almost always then bought the 32” widescreen cool green CRTV, which was about £2,000 - not the often intended £500 25” TV… it was too far a fall from the stunning plasma to settle for a 25” and we sold countless 32” sets as a result. I’ve zero doubt that wouldn’t have been the case if they weren’t greeted with the plasma on the way in.

Here is the advert from the time… brings back memories.

Jan 27, 2024 at 3:06 PM Post #79,878 of 90,102
You’re the stranger here! Welcome back. Do you have any headfi gear now or are you about to buy everything back? :)

I am indeed! Thank you. Just what's in my sig for now Matt, no real urge to try anything else at this point in time! Away with work but home end of the week and that'll be 1st listen to Storm paired with 320max, hoping for good things!

Jan 27, 2024 at 3:18 PM Post #79,879 of 90,102
There is pressure build up from time to time and yes driver flex is also present.

However, I do not mind either of the issue just for this particular IEM because it sounds quite unique and old school.

There have been times when I have been perplexed to decide whether to listen to the Prototype 3 or the Nightjar Singularity. Even though the Singularity has zero issues and a fantastic tuning, the former is a raw beast.

Choose your poison.

If we're talking an adjustment once in a while to alleviate the pressure, then that's not too bad. Even the TS-316 has a little flex, I think, even though it's vented. It seems more common than not, overall.

I have to give it a bit of a think to see if I want to try to pull the trigger on one or hold off for something else.

Jan 27, 2024 at 3:35 PM Post #79,880 of 90,102
Funny how life works. Not sure if anyone remembers me mentioning my displeasure of Cayin's use of Comic Cans a couple of times here.
My N7 has developed a rather rather weird issue where every button press flashes the "Never Be the Same" screen in all its glory.
Why couldn't it brick, develop a screen issue, dead battery etc. Why this screen? Why this bug? *punches air*

https://streamable.com/bpbg2w

Jan 27, 2024 at 3:58 PM Post #79,881 of 90,102
Literally every hobby has that over-the-top expensive option, that’s just how life works.

Let’s be honest. Most people outside of this forum think we are lunatics for even spending more than $200 on a pair of earphones. Most people think AirPods are holy grail for earphones. It’s all relative. It all comes down to what an individual likes and is able to spend. There will always be a personal limit. Where that falls is really just on you.

I’ve said this many times..just enjoy the music 🤷‍♂️ isn’t this the reason why we all got into the hobby?

Jan 27, 2024 at 4:06 PM Post #79,882 of 90,102
@MatW Anyway, how are things with you? wWhat you rocking out with?

In other news, REALLY enjoying this stack. I don’t like stacks and value portability but man this is special. So analogue sounding, lovely note density, incredible dynamics, transparency, and resolution, holographic imaging. Just really outstanding stuff here. I’m either going ape sh1t being at home all week and losing my mind or maybe this just sounds that good but it had me in tears earlier.

The DX260 works wonderfully as a source using COAX into the D16 which is the DAC followed by 4.4mm LO into the PB5 using the tube amp. When I need to listen portably I just disconnect the DX260 and it provides good enough SQ to not mind, and it drives all my IEMs well. We’ll see how this pans out with more organic use. These stacks never last long for me but I find this a lot more impressive overall than both the Tsuranagi and MK475. Another thing that’s on my mind is that the R8 II overall just provides such good performance for the cost that it makes dealing with something that’s more tedious like this far less desirable.
Surprised to see you with a stack again! Nice to get some feedback on it, quite tempted by the PB5 to mix up the flavour of 320M for old school rock / acoustic.

Jan 27, 2024 at 4:12 PM Post #79,883 of 90,102
Surprised to see you with a stack again! Nice to get some feedback on it, quite tempted by the PB5 to mix up the flavour of 320M for old school rock / acoustic.

Hey man.. you know me. I like trying everything I possibly can. This one is damn special, I can’t stop listening to it. It has textures, dynamics, density, resolution, top imaging, transparency, etc etc. I just feel like it does it all and it’s so analogue sounding. I’m honeymooning very hard over this for sure. I’ve been listening for 4 hours constant at this point and I have shed tears twice and had several moments where I’ve just been like “holy crap”, so it’s quite pleasing.

The D16 by itself seems fairly decent but I much more prefer it as a DAC only and using the PB5 as the AMP.

I highly recommend the PB5.

Glad to see you back!

Jan 27, 2024 at 4:13 PM Post #79,884 of 90,102
Didn’t expect to have a new DAP today, but an opportunity came up for the 1AM2 (Japanese uncapped version) and as a Sony fanboy I couldn’t turn it down and finally bid my M6U farewell as a part exchange.

IMG_0950.jpeg

Jan 27, 2024 at 4:20 PM Post #79,885 of 90,102
Didn’t expect to have a new DAP today, but an opportunity came up for the 1AM2 (Japanese uncapped version) and as a Sony fanboy I couldn’t turn it down and finally bid my M6U farewell as a part exchange.

IMG_0950.jpeg
I genuinely cannot quantify how much I adore this little brick. The more I tweak the features, the more I discover that it's the gift that keeps on giving. Definitely gives me that Sony house sound I remember as a kid.

Jan 27, 2024 at 4:22 PM Post #79,886 of 90,102
@MatW Anyway, how are things with you? wWhat you rocking out with?
All good thanks! With me, the wallet not so much as the collection is still growing, albeit at a slower rate these days. Recent acquisitions on the IEM side include the Trifecta, Mason FS, Ragnar, Perpetua and the Annihilator.

The last one is featured in a great Fei Wan review that @armstrj2 published today. Highly recommended reading!

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2024 at 4:26 PM Post #79,887 of 90,102
Funny how life works. Not sure if anyone remembers me mentioning my displeasure of Cayin's use of Comic Cans a couple of times here.
My N7 has developed a rather rather weird issue where every button press flashes the "Never Be the Same" screen in all its glory.
Why couldn't it brick, develop a screen issue, dead battery etc. Why this screen? Why this bug? *punches air*

https://streamable.com/bpbg2w
The Cayin god heard you and you’re being punished for it.

Jan 27, 2024 at 4:26 PM Post #79,888 of 90,102
Listened to some of my favourite composers tonight with @tgx78 performed by Assante Vc Masterworks:

Tchaikovsky’s Symphony No. 4 & Liszt’s Piano Concerto No. 2

Spellbinding to say the least. The way the orchestra members moved their instruments in unison was hypnotic.

Highlights and observations:​

• The insane macro dynamic contrasts with live instruments. For comparison during quiet moments it was as if my volume was at 5 then it would shoot up to 70. Even during those quiet sections I can make out the nuances and the note weight.
  • The grand presentation. Huge stage height and depth where I was surrounded by the music. Good recommendation from Jim for our sitting arrangement (balcony left side) where we were able to see the performers fingers move. A highlight was Macedonian pianist Simon Trpceski bursting with animation and emotion during the Liszt section.
  • Tonality and timbre: Instruments individual voicings were more distinct. Looking at strings, the cellos resonance being longer than violins, the low end reach of double bass. In general across the board compared to what I am used to there seemed to be a lot less bass quantity I could "feel" and less upper mids with more a fuller sound.
  • The atmosphere and connection between the audience members and performers was palpable and contagious.

Excited to attend more!
I haven't been to a live performance for years, missing that. However, when I read your comments regarding timbre of live performance, I cannot help laughing since how can you beat the timbre of a real things! The only thing that most people cannot even sure about the timbre is electronic music, probably.

Yes. Absolutely agree. IERZ1R was my top IEM for three years till RN6 took its place 2 months back. And honestly I don’t need more than what it offers. And I may end up with a few mid-fi IEMs in my collection rather than going after another flagship.
I just hope that not every brand takes UM route in going over the top in their flagship product’s price. Sony didn’t find any need to increase IERZ1R’s price over the years and Sennheiser too with their IE900, considering every other TOTL playing at 3-3.5k mark and over 4k in UM/Oriolus/Aroma.
Ultimately a certain restraint is mandatory in this or any other hobby.
I never heard RN6, but to my ear, XE6 is an upgrade to Z1R, obviously with slight different toning. However, for large companies such as Sony or Sennheiser, they have totally different business model from small boutique companies. They never release products with predictable low sales, volume is the king to them.

I think the Sansa Clip+ is probably my most used dap of all time, so I was pretty excited to try out the clip case for my Shanling M0 Pro, which I'm using a lot more than I thought I would. Anyway, it's a bit of a swing-and-a-miss imo. One of the advantages of the Clip+ and another device with a nice clip, the EarStudio ES100 MK2, was that you could easily leverage the clip open with one hand. Made it super easy to clip them on or off of whatever. With the M0 clip case, it is lacking a mechanical clip component and instead is just plastic you pry open. Whack. And it's very awkward to try and clip it onto stuff one-handed.

Thanks for the heads up, guess I know what I'm listening to tonight!
Before my audiophile days, I used many Sansa clip or similar stuff in my running, but the quality of sound is not even in my consideration.
Or is it?

The fact that you and I prefer DD bass doesn't necessarily mean everybody has the same goals or even find DD bass any good at all.

If we all aim for the exact same goal life would become too boring to live.

drftr
There are reasons why some models are still exclusively BA only, such as Mason line and U12t/U18t. I actually like some those BA bass, such as recently the Crimson's bass. There is unique appeal of BA bass, which is hard to find in DD. Though in general, I like DD for bass and even for other FR.

Catching up with the thread and reflecting on the UM pricing discussion. Everyone is free to spend their money as they please, let that be clear. But for 8.5k you can buy the most advanced headfi driver in the world, in my humble opinion of course, the Abyss 1266, or a Susvara for that matter, and still keep 2.5k in your pockets. Or more if you find the right retailer. I know, you need proper amplification etc, but still. With the money some are spending on DAPs like the N30 you can buy a proper amp and dac. Not interested in the over ear vs in ear discussion either, this is just for illustration. The price UM are charging here is just crazy high in my opinion. But if it sells, it sells.
It's hard for me to catch up with cooler thread once we had drama such as UM pricing. I cannot help but think for UM, this is good, since bad publicity is good publicity.

Can someone help ID this iem? This was posted in an audio group I'm part of, we are having trouble identifying it. Yes, it's real.

1706371275033.png
That thing makes you unkosher if you put them in your ears!

Ah man this whole annual UM talk gets exhausting haha, but I get it. At the end of the day I don’t see why anyone is surprised at all. The Mason line was last updated 2(?) years ago with the Le Jardin and that was $7999 and produced in very low quantities. IMO it’s best to view these price tags as barriers to entry rather than anything value or performance related. Take a step back and enjoy the music :) Or go spend $2800 on a used Canpur 622b and enjoy one of the most capable IEMs created at a fraction of the cost. I am listening to the Craft Ears Omnium as we speak and it cost me a measly $2500 (/s) and it sounds just as good as it did before this new Mason existed.

I probably won’t make any friends saying this but I feel most of the people who are upset about the price wouldn’t buy it even if it were $4k cheaper 🤷🏽‍♂️ Let’s also not forget that UM actually has a very large portfolio. If this release is upsetting you then it’s very likely you are not the audience they are targeting in the first place.

In other news, REALLY enjoying this stack. I don’t like stacks and value portability but man this is special. So analogue sounding, lovely note density, incredible dynamics, transparency, and resolution, holographic imaging. Just really outstanding stuff here. I’m either going ape sh1t being at home all week and losing my mind or maybe this just sounds that good but it had me in tears earlier.

IMG_8509.jpeg

This DD hifi carry bag works well for transport.

IMG_8517.jpeg

The DX260 works wonderfully as a source using COAX into the D16 which is the DAC followed by 4.4mm LO into the PB5 using the tube amp. When I need to listen portably I just disconnect the DX260 and it provides good enough SQ to not mind, and it drives all my IEMs well. We’ll see how this pans out with more organic use. These stacks never last long for me but I find this a lot more impressive overall than both the Tsuranagi and MK475. Another thing that’s on my mind is that the R8 II overall just provides such good performance for the cost that it makes dealing with something that’s more tedious like this far less desirable.
When you mentioned those two Ibasso were coming to you, I was trying to vision the stack you may have. I am very interested in them, but I would love to see a pure DAC without the amp part.

Jan 27, 2024 at 4:26 PM Post #79,889 of 90,102
I genuinely cannot quantify how much I adore this little brick. The more I tweak the features, the more I discover that it's the gift that keeps on giving. Definitely gives me that Sony house sound I remember as a kid.

I'm listening to 'Oncle Jazz' by Men I trust right now with Perpetua and sounds fantastic. It's funny that over the last 4 years or so I have consistently listened to the ZX300, then the OG 1A (ZX507 for a period too but sold eventually and regret...), and I've no doubt now the same with the 1AM2 - massive fan of Sony since the late 80s, and even during a period where they were my competitor when I worked for Philips for about 5 years many moons ago! I love the Sony UI and music player.

Jan 27, 2024 at 4:28 PM Post #79,890 of 90,102
When you mentioned those two Ibasso were coming to you, I was trying to vision the stack you may have. I am very interested in them, but I would love to see a pure DAC without the amp part.

While not quite the same, you can disable the AMP in the D16 Taipan by using LO. That is how I have it setup currently.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back