The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
May 26, 2024 at 7:22 PM Post #90,091 of 91,368
Have you compared it to the Quloos MUB1 by any chance? I am loving having a Bluetooth DAC/amp, the convenience is just so nice and something like the MUB1 actually sounds pretty damn fantastic in terms of drive although I do wish the tonality was more neutral. Regardless I think it’s a great little device.
Weight is equivalent to the XP-2Bal. If it’s at e earphone in Japan I will look for it my next trip. It is triple the cost so there is that to think about. Not so much about the up front cost but one thing I think about when on the go I have in the back of my mind if suddenly a rainstorm hits and my amp is subject to a downpour and how much it would hurt my feelings if it sustains water damage. I carry a small aquapac for long treks but there is the couple second time you need to take to shove all the stuff into the baggie to consider. Cables and IEMs are remarkably resilent in this regard. Amps not so much. Anyways Thanks for the tip!

And keep in mind I live in Hawaii (while being born and raised in Cleveland) so any bad weather advice has to be tempered a bit - YMMV indeed. I do have a water story from a few weeks back that may be of interest here. Went out for a canoe trip and I managed to even take a header with an outrigger no less - unbeknownst to me I had my $40 Linsoul kz zs10 pro in my fanny pack so it took a salt water bath along with the rest of me. But it still works! So like a mutant cockroach this thing can survive - so if you need a beater IEM rec then keep the Linsoul in mind.
While also loosely on the weight to performance topic I must tip my cap to Kamanu Composites that made my canoe - at 25 lbs it is one quarter of the weight of my Taiko server and small enough for an old fart to lift overhead. Talk about amazing engineering feats!
IMG_0986-compressed.jpegIMG_0988-compressed.jpeg

Last edited:
May 26, 2024 at 8:06 PM Post #90,093 of 91,368
Recently bought my first Unique Melody iem with Mest Mk2, just a perfect all rounder 🤗
That is a really solid one at its price point happy you like it I had a great time with mine! :)

May 26, 2024 at 8:12 PM Post #90,094 of 91,368
Price tag?

J/k, I get what you mean. In my case, it’s the soundstage imaging and resolution. Few budget Chifi can do those beyond “okay”
Joke aside, I am a huge critic of the price=quality fallacy. I would have these same reactions blind. I either hear what I am looking for or I don't. It would thrill me beyond belief to find a "cheaper" set that does what the ones I love do. Still looking... Sort of. I mean I tend to just listen to what I love and not seek too much else...

May 26, 2024 at 9:21 PM Post #90,095 of 91,368
Joke aside, I am a huge critic of the price=quality fallacy. I would have these same reactions blind. I either hear what I am looking for or I don't. It would thrill me beyond belief to find a "cheaper" set that does what the ones I love do. Still looking... Sort of. I mean I tend to just listen to what I love and not seek too much else...
Yeah, it’s frustrating how some “cheaper” sets are so close yet still not there, especially when they pack genuinely innovative tech inside.

For example, I’m reviewing the Pilgrim at the moment. It’s snappy, it’s detailed, it layers well, it’s tuned very well, yadda yadda. But the soundstage lacks … something. It’s flat and wide, not much depth. To ensure that I’m not nut, I do an AB against the Andro 2020 again. Yup. The Andro construct the stage like a 3D dome with sound popping up all around the phantom center. That “X factor” just does not exist with the Pilgrim. Now, is the Pilgrim still a “kilobuck killer”? For some, maybe, and I have no disagreement with that. But personally, if a thing falls behind a 5 year old kilobuck on any aspect, can it be “kilobuck killer?”

Edit: not to take away how awesome the Pilgrim is, especially at its retail price, though.

Last edited:
May 26, 2024 at 9:31 PM Post #90,096 of 91,368
Yeah, it’s frustrating how some “cheaper” sets are so close yet still not there, especially when they pack genuinely innovative tech inside.

For example, I’m reviewing the Pilgrim at the moment. It’s snappy, it’s detailed, it layers well, it’s tuned very well, yadda yadda. But the soundstage lacks … something. It’s flat and wide, not much depth. To ensure that I’m not nut, I do an AB against the Andro 2020 again. Yup. The Andro construct the stage like a 3D dome with sound popping up all around the phantom center. That “X factor” just does not exist with the Pilgrim. Now, is the Pilgrim still a “kilobuck killer”? For some, maybe, and I have no disagreement with that. But personally, if a thing falls behind a 5 year old kilobuck on any aspect, can it be “kilobuck killer?”

Edit: not to take away how awesome the Pilgrim is, especially at its retail price, though.
Did you notice any incoherence? I suspect the tuning of Mr. Lee created the magic at a cost, which not always audible, but for some music I just felt it is off.

May 26, 2024 at 9:38 PM Post #90,097 of 91,368
Did you notice any incoherence? I suspect the tuning of Mr. Lee created the magic at a cost, which not always audible, but for some music I just felt it is off.
Not really incoherence for me. The DD used here has the same snappy response that sounds like BA woofers (but with great subbass and texture), so it follows the upper frequencies well.

My major problem is that it pushes the whole stage forward. Heck, it does not have that “wrap around” effect that drawn me to the Gaea either. The dynamic is also less impressive next to the Gaea and Anni 2023.

Still, it’s pretty technical and tuned well for most genres. It takes AFUL 7 BA drivers, fancy crossover, and fancy 3d printed resonators to match the technical performance of pilgrim.

Last edited:
May 26, 2024 at 10:12 PM Post #90,098 of 91,368
Generally speaking, no. That's just when people start showing up. I ask because a lot of our "meets" at CanJams are completely ad hoc, and tend to just happen as soon as enough of us get there. :smile:

Well it sounds I’ll have to drive in Wednesday to get prepped for potential Thursday pre-games!

May 26, 2024 at 10:19 PM Post #90,099 of 91,368
Recently bought my first Unique Melody iem with Mest Mk2, just a perfect all rounder 🤗
It was my first love into the iem world. It sounded amazing you wont regret it, it can play any genre and sound very good.

May 26, 2024 at 10:46 PM Post #90,100 of 91,368
Not really incoherence for me. The DD used here has the same snappy response that sounds like BA woofers (but with great subbass and texture), so it follows the upper frequencies well.

My major problem is that it pushes the whole stage forward. Heck, it does not have that “wrap around” effect that drawn me to the Gaea either. The dynamic is also less impressive next to the Gaea and Anni 2023.

Still, it’s pretty technical and tuned well for most genres. It takes AFUL 7 BA drivers, fancy crossover, and fancy 3d printed resonators to match the technical performance of pilgrim.

Dropped you a note about Final E5000 on that thread, some tips that might be worth trying.

May 26, 2024 at 10:57 PM Post #90,101 of 91,368

Interesting discussion, I have never heard a real atmos mix on a real atmos setup. Have any of you? What did you think?

May 26, 2024 at 11:33 PM Post #90,102 of 91,368
:thinking: Cable storage?

1716780776630.png

May 27, 2024 at 9:34 AM Post #90,105 of 91,368
Of your sources/dac amp, which do you use for your Trifecta? Just got mine and looking for best pairing.
My new Questyle CMA18P is my current fav (pun intended). DDs seem to love current-mode amplification....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back