The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
May 26, 2024 at 2:26 PM Post #90,076 of 91,368
RHA Audio is a UK company.
Problem is to find an online shop selling them ...
Those 2 are not connected though. What if one of our Asian friends can get them from Amazon.jp for next to nothing and take them to CJ London? Asians are ordering from Amazon.jp all the time. $16 I just saw.

Perhaps someone from overseas finds this message and can do a quick check tomorrow morning.

Or simply put your size in an envelope and send them to you without packaging. The financial risk, if any, won't devastate you if anything goes wrong :wink:

https://www.amazon.co.jp/Silicone-Density-Double-Designs-Headphones/dp/B015N5MZUY?tag=headfi-20

drftr

Last edited:
May 26, 2024 at 2:44 PM Post #90,078 of 91,368
does anyone use penon liqueur eartips? Is this really one of the eartips on the market that seals the best and stays in place, doesn't slip out of the ear all the time? chelastec 2 Does anyone have one? how is it compared to 1?
They have a very good seal due to the sticky surface, and the material is very soft and contours easily to the ear canal. Had some problem IEMs with shorter nozzles where this did help some, but I had more success with Azla Vivid due to the more rigid material that's also sticky. Penon Lacquer is more comfortable than the Vivid or Xelastec.
There is reports of different sound from black and orange, can be that its just to small for me to notice. My black and orange ones have the excact same stem width and thickness, same for the umbrella thickness. Can be a minor difference in softness of the material, but not able to feel it by hand. So I have stuck to black as the orange is often miss match with the design of some IEMs.

Anyways its good silicon tips for secure seal, specially for larger ears with the XL.

DSCF4348.jpg

Last edited:
May 26, 2024 at 2:50 PM Post #90,080 of 91,368
Hello guys did anyone try the Qdc emperor if yes what’s your opinion compared to anole VX . Did it sound as detailed. Also comparison to other totl iem will help .

May 26, 2024 at 2:51 PM Post #90,081 of 91,368
As I shared privately with some of my buddies offline, IMHO Chi-Fi made very big steps in the last 1-2 years to shrink the gap from TOTL IEMs.
TOTL IEMs are still better, but their improvement was not nearly as big (harder to improve as you get closer to the peak of the summit...)
But it all depends what you are looking for. Tuning-wise, sure, something like the Trios are quite good. I listen to them a lot and am satisfied. They are balanced, coherent, no nasty peaks, etc. And technically they are pretty close to my Trifectas. Except in the areas where it matters most to me. And that's the problem. A set can sound close to one you love, but if its lacking precisely those things that make that set special to you, then how can it really compete? The depth and layering on the Trifectas is a few orders of magnitude better than the Trios, for instance, and that is precisely my most coveted technical aspect of an IEM. So I'm haunted by having bitten from the apple. When I listen to music, I listen for exactly what the Trifectas do in that area, the way they do it, etc. And when that is absent, well, it's really absent. So the differences between a $50 set and a $3000 set maybe be small, in the grand scheme of things, but they are absolutely crucial and irreplaceable.
It's just about the best all-DD IEM I've ever heard
Trifecta, Monachaa, Singularity, Cascara all out-class them to my ears but *see above
It's almost like a strange combination of super hi-fi contrast and detail that somehow manages to present as effortless and relaxed. Even when I'm hearing so much stuff going on that I should be fatigued, I never am.
This is where the true wizardry of audio design lies - so detailed and revealing that it's effortless and relaxed. When a set is done right the music just flows.

May 26, 2024 at 3:16 PM Post #90,082 of 91,368
Those 2 are not connected though. What if one of our Asian friends can get them from Amazon.jp for next to nothing and take them to CJ London? Asians are ordering from Amazon.jp all the time. $16 I just saw.

Perhaps someone from overseas finds this message and can do a quick check tomorrow morning.

Or simply put your size in an envelope and send them to you without packaging. The financial risk, if any, won't devastate you if anything goes wrong :wink:

https://www.amazon.co.jp/Silicone-Density-Double-Designs-Headphones/dp/B015N5MZUY?tag=headfi-20

drftr
Ordered!
But it's this one : https://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/product/B017A8UJQ4

May 26, 2024 at 3:31 PM Post #90,083 of 91,368
This is where the true wizardry of audio design lies - so detailed and revealing that it's effortless and relaxed. When a set is done right the music just flows.
Generally speaking it doesn't have to cost $10,000 either (IEM+cable), but hey, it's only numbers right? 😅

May 26, 2024 at 3:51 PM Post #90,084 of 91,368
Generally speaking it doesn't have to cost $10,000 either (IEM+cable), but hey, it's only numbers right? 😅
For sure it's not always cost-related. I get "the flow" with Monachaa + Cadmus FE + RU7. Where detail and technicalities are so well-balanced that you just immerse yourself in the musical event as it unfolds...

May 26, 2024 at 4:01 PM Post #90,085 of 91,368
does anyone use penon liqueur eartips? Is this really one of the eartips on the market that seals the best and stays in place, doesn't slip out of the ear all the time? chelastec 2 Does anyone have one? how is it compared to 1?

They have a very good seal due to the sticky surface, and the material is very soft and contours easily to the ear canal. Had some problem IEMs with shorter nozzles where this did help some, but I had more success with Azla Vivid due to the more rigid material that's also sticky. Penon Lacquer is more comfortable than the Vivid or Xelastec.
There is reports of different sound from black and orange, can be that its just to small for me to notice. My black and orange ones have the excact same stem width and thickness, same for the umbrella thickness. Can be a minor difference in softness of the material, but not able to feel it by hand. So I have stuck to black as the orange is often miss match with the design of some IEMs.

Anyways its good silicon tips for secure seal, specially for larger ears with the XL.

DSCF4348.jpg
+1 for the Liqueur tips. They have absolutely saved some iems for me.

May 26, 2024 at 5:55 PM Post #90,086 of 91,368
A set can sound close to one you love, but if its lacking precisely those things that make that set special to you

Price tag?

J/k, I get what you mean. In my case, it’s the soundstage imaging and resolution. Few budget Chifi can do those beyond “okay”

May 26, 2024 at 6:46 PM Post #90,087 of 91,368
I plan to arrive Friday afternoon before and stay until Wednesday so I can get family vacation time in at least Monday and Tuesday. Are there meetups Thursday?

Generally speaking, no. That's just when people start showing up. I ask because a lot of our "meets" at CanJams are completely ad hoc, and tend to just happen as soon as enough of us get there. :smile:

Anni is fine but to me it’s DETAILS HERE WITNESS ME. Treble gets too distracting.

I also forgot to rank the Canpur, would be just before EXT in the list.

Going by that, I think you're gonna want Romeo.

May 26, 2024 at 7:03 PM Post #90,089 of 91,368
Share a photo of a setup that’s bringing you joy lately .
I have really been impressed by this combo lately.
IMG_0057-compressed.jpeg
The xDuoo XP-2Bal plus the PMG Apx. It has 320 mW power so enough for even your most demanding IEMs. What I like about it most is that it preserves the functional ability of a DAP, while allowing your phone to maintain its function of being, well, a phone. Meaning you can tend to phone calls of either business or pleasure while on the go and not be bothered by swapping out of your DAP to carry on a conversation. AND it passes my cardinal test of portable audio in my criteria - it is smaller than a deck of cards.

So you can stow it away in your pocket or fanny pack and not feel like a pregnant marsupial in the pursuit of good tunes. That is there is a built-in microphone that works better than most in its category. There’s also excellent Bluetooth support.

If you were to quantify on a 0 to 100 scale with 0 representing a giveaway airplane variety earphone and 100 being a TOTL DAC, most bluetooth receivers (of which the Fioo BTR7 I’ve been using most recently) get you around a 50; this is closer to 75-80. Especially with the Apx which is incredibly easy to drive. The weight of the bass slam hits you right away - the best way to describe it is that it is like going from a nice set of bookshelf speakers to proper floor drivers. The presence lets you know you are dealing with a big boy amp. Mids are lushly presented and the treble quality is the best Ive heard in bluetooth to date. I almost had to do a double take to make sure I was not listenening to a full size DAP.

One thing it can do that most other smaller DAPs don’t offer is the ability to charge AND play at the same time as it has dual charging and USB inputs and you can get the added audio quality of a wired connection.

Ergonomics are rarely mentioned but when dealing with portable audio these are a must - there is a clearly visible volume/power knob. No power buttons that be jostled if you are on the go. And you don't have to look at it to see if it is on or wait for a display - you head a pleasant click and a blue light shows and you are good to go.

At $160 from Apos Audio it may very well be the best value in portable audio I have ever bought. Normally I do have reservations about recommending kilobuck IEMS or cables because value is hard to defend in such circumstances. But for less than the cost of most TWS sets you can use your favorite IEM/cable combo on the go with minimal fuss and tremendous results.IMG_0052-compressed.jpegIMG_0058-compressed.jpegIMG_0048.jpeg

May 26, 2024 at 7:05 PM Post #90,090 of 91,368
I have really been impressed by this combo lately.
IMG_0057-compressed.jpeg
The xDuoo XP-2Bal plus the PMG Apx. It has 320 mW power so enough for even your most demanding IEMs. What I like about it most is that it preserves the functional ability of a DAP, while allowing your phone to maintain its function of being, well, a phone. Meaning you can tend to phone calls of either business or pleasure while on the go and not be bothered by swapping out of your DAP to carry on a conversation. AND it passes my cardinal test of portable audio in my criteria - it is smaller than a deck of cards.

So you can stow it away in your pocket or fanny pack and not feel like a pregnant marsupial in the pursuit of good tunes. That is there is a built-in microphone that works better than most in its category. There’s also excellent Bluetooth support.

If you were to quantify on a 0 to 100 scale with 0 representing a giveaway airplane variety earphone and 100 being a TOTL DAC, most bluetooth receivers (of which the Fioo BTR7 I’ve been using most recently) get you around a 50; this is closer to 75-80. Especially with the Apx which is incredibly easy to drive. The weight of the bass slam hits you right away - the best way to describe it is that it is like going from a nice set of bookshelf speakers to proper floor drivers. The presence lets you know you are dealing with a big boy amp. Mids are lushly presented and the treble quality is the best Ive heard in bluetooth to date. I almost had to do a double take to make sure I was not listenening to a full size DAP.

One thing it can do that most other smaller DAPs don’t offer is the ability to charge AND play at the same time as it has dual charging and USB inputs and you can get the added audio quality of a wired connection.

Ergonomics are rarely mentioned but when dealing with portable audio these are a must - there is a clearly visible volume/power knob. No power buttons that be jostled if you are on the go. And you don't have to look at it to see if it is on or wait for a display - you head a pleasant click and a blue light shows and you are good to go.

At $160 from Apos Audio it may very well be the best value in portable audio I have ever bought. Normally I do have reservations about recommending kilobuck IEMS or cables because value is hard to defend in such circumstances. But for less than the cost of most TWS sets you can use your favorite IEM/cable combo on the go with minimal fuss and tremendous results.IMG_0052-compressed.jpegIMG_0058-compressed.jpegIMG_0048.jpeg

Have you compared it to the Quloos MUB1 by any chance? I am loving having a Bluetooth DAC/amp, the convenience is just so nice and something like the MUB1 actually sounds pretty damn fantastic in terms of drive although I do wish the tonality was more neutral. Regardless I think it’s a great little device.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back