The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Dec 23, 2023 at 5:56 PM Post #74,987 of 89,811
Next I'd like to bring folks' attention to the list of DAPs and how they placed in our survey. Unlike with IEMs this is the first time I've inlcuded a question on sources (thanks for the suggestion @bigbeans ) so there's no data from last year to compare to. Suffice to say the Cayin N30LE came out of the gate screaming. At 50 points and 17 more than it's closest competitor I don't think any single piece of gear, not even the Bird, has ever dominated one of our polls like the N30LE has here. It's surely weaved a potent spell on just about everyone who's gotten their hands on one.

The RS8 is was the next favorite, and owning one myself I understand why.

Below that was a mix of favorites, none of which surprised me very much. I gotta say it's impressive to see the WM1Z holding up so well given how old it is. In fact all of Sony Signature stuff from years ago still seems very relevant. Having just fallen under the spell of the 1Z myself I totally get it-- that is surely a device for the ages. I don't think there will be any Android based devices that hold on to their relevance and usabilityu for that length of time.

On the topic of retaining relevance a nod surely must be given to the Lotoo Paw Gold Touch as well as the L&P stuff, all of which has been around for a while an continues to be relevant.

Bringing up the budget end of things are the AKSR35 and Hiby R6 Pro 2. I've never heard the Hiby but the AK is one of my favorite players that continues to astound me with the level of sound quality it puts out from such a small package.

Thanks again to everyone who took the time to vote.

Cayin N30le x50

Hiby RS8 x33

Ibasso DX320max x20
Astell & Kern SP3000 x20
Shanling M9plus x16
Sony WM1ZM2 x16
Sony WM1Z x14
Luxury & Precision P6Pro/Ti x13
Lotoo Paw Gold Touch x11
Luxury & Precision LP6/Ti x11

Sony DMP-Z1 x10
Cayin N8ii x9
Luxury & Precision LP6 7th Anniversary x8
Hiby R6 Pro 2 x7
Astell & Kern SR35 x6
Ibasso DX320 x5
Sony WM1AM2 x5
Lotoo Mjölnir x5
Hiby RS6 x4
Sony WM1A x4
Ibasso DX300 x3
AK SP2000 x3

Ibasso DC-Elite x2
Ibasso DX320x x2
Chord Uugo2 x2
Fiio m15s x2
Fiio m17 x2
Aune M1p x2
Sony nw-a306 x2
Lotoo Paw 6000 x2
Cayin RU7 x2
Astell & Kern SE300 x2
Brise Tsuranagi x2
Sony zx707 x2

Sony a306 x1
Acoustic Research ar-m2 x1
Oriolus DP100 x1
Dethonray DTR1plus x1
Ibasso dx240 x1
Ibasso dx260 x1
Ibasso dx300max x1
Apple iphone15promax x1
Apple ipod x1
Astell & Kern Kann Max x1
Luxury & Precision W4 x1
Fiio m15 x1
Fiio m6u x2
Chord Mojo 2 x1
Cayin n6ii x1
Lotoo Paw Gold x1
Questyle QP2R x1
Hifiman r2r2000 x1
Hiby r6iii x1
HIby r8ii x1
Cayin ru6 x1
Astell & Kern sp2000t x1
Woo Audio Tube Mini x1
What is the cheapest option to get the dap which is compact (PAW 6000 is my reference point) with good battery life and sound and roon capable? The last I liked in this region was Ibasso dx240. It should cost under 1k. Thanks in advance. Merry Christmas Coolers

Dec 23, 2023 at 5:57 PM Post #74,988 of 89,811
✨ Congrats @Rockwell75 and the Watercooler community to sustaining this thread to 5000 pages!!! ✨

As we celebrate Watercooler milestone, I will commemorate it with a brief year in review.

The year started with a trip to Japan and attending a fellow Headfi'ers wedding. This is a touching memory I'll never forget, and boy the Japanese know how to party! Making connections with the expat friends and the local Japanese was a lot of fun, towards the end we were doing impromptu karaoke with anyone we could drag to our table. I blame the sake 🤣 What a blast!

This followed with the Mecca of every headfi enthusiast, a pilgrimage to e-earphone in Akihabara. It is simply overwhelming, with a multitude of floors of gear at your disposal. At the end of my time at e-earphone I was exhausted and had a minor headache :laughing:. I managed to demo the Sony Just Ear iem, this is wonderfully tuned. It sounds like Sony squeezed the 1ZM2 sound signature into an IEM, simply amazing. Throughout the auditions, I grew to appreciate the JVC Victor house sound. @Scuba Devils is definitely onto something!

After Japan, I attended a tribute concert of Rolling Stones. This was a lot of fun and re invigorated my love of old school rock, my JH Jolenes were more than eager to take up the task or reliving this era.

Fast forward to CanJam SoCal, where I connected with great Headfier's and demo'd some incredible gear. Some of which I am lucky enough to own today. One particularly stood out, the MassKobo 465 amplifier. The very best amplifier I've used in my life. I can't wait to re demo it at CanJam NYC.

Some weeks later, I steeled myself to offload some gear to make way for a set which I initially scoffed at due to the price. The Amber Pearl Combo. This package is the real deal, providing sonic experiences which immerse me completely in many recordings. A perfect blend of technicalities and emotion for my tastes. I can't wait to get my N30 AP back from Cayin so I can experience it again.

Of course, I must follow this up with a sumptuous gastronomic experience for all the foodies here. This one is dedicated to @aaf evo :hugging:

I would like to conclude with a lovely Christmas tree installation when walking into a meeting last week. May the holidays bring you happiness and good health :heart:. With Page 5000 of Watercooler, I wish you all a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

What a great post commemorating the thread! Thank you @bigbeans

Now I want In-N-Out!!

HAPPY 5000 COOLER FRIENDS!!

Dec 23, 2023 at 5:58 PM Post #74,990 of 89,811
✨ Congrats @Rockwell75 and the Watercooler community to sustaining this thread to 5000 pages!!! ✨

As we celebrate Watercooler milestone, I will commemorate it with a brief year in review.

The year started with a trip to Japan and attending a fellow Headfi'ers wedding. This is a touching memory I'll never forget, and boy the Japanese know how to party! Making connections with the expat friends and the local Japanese was a lot of fun, towards the end we were doing impromptu karaoke with anyone we could drag to our table. I blame the sake 🤣 What a blast!

This followed with the Mecca of every headfi enthusiast, a pilgrimage to e-earphone in Akihabara. It is simply overwhelming, with a multitude of floors of gear at your disposal. At the end of my time at e-earphone I was exhausted and had a minor headache :laughing:. I managed to demo the Sony Just Ear iem, this is wonderfully tuned. It sounds like Sony squeezed the 1ZM2 sound signature into an IEM, simply amazing. Throughout the auditions, I grew to appreciate the JVC Victor house sound. @Scuba Devils is definitely onto something!

After Japan, I attended a tribute concert of Rolling Stones. This was a lot of fun and re invigorated my love of old school rock, my JH Jolenes were more than eager to take up the task or reliving this era.

Fast forward to CanJam SoCal, where I connected with great Headfier's and demo'd some incredible gear. Some of which I am lucky enough to own today. One particularly stood out, the MassKobo 465 amplifier. The very best amplifier I've used in my life. I can't wait to re demo it at CanJam NYC.

Some weeks later, I steeled myself to offload some gear to make way for a set which I initially scoffed at due to the price. The Amber Pearl Combo. This package is the real deal, providing sonic experiences which immerse me completely in many recordings. A perfect blend of technicalities and emotion for my tastes. I can't wait to get my N30 AP back from Cayin so I can experience it again.

Of course, I must follow this up with a sumptuous gastronomic experience for all the foodies here. This one is dedicated to @aaf evo :hugging:

I would like to conclude with a lovely Christmas tree installation when walking into a meeting last week. May the holidays bring you happiness and good health :heart:. With Page 5000 of Watercooler, I wish you all a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

Epic and classy, just like the man behind the Heinz label. Thank-you for this wonderful post and commemoration.

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2023 at 6:04 PM Post #74,991 of 89,811
Congrats to all who are part of this cool group.

Dec 23, 2023 at 6:05 PM Post #74,992 of 89,811
Canpur incoming … 😉
I see that after your brief “Storm is all I need” phase you’ve rejoined the “OK, one more IEM then” crew. 😊👍

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2023 at 6:07 PM Post #74,993 of 89,811
Dec 23, 2023 at 6:10 PM Post #74,994 of 89,811
IMG_3600.jpeg

Current top 3 🏆🏆🏆
Glad they’re in the 5K page 😉

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2023 at 6:10 PM Post #74,995 of 89,811
Next I'd like to bring folks' attention to the list of DAPs and how they placed in our survey. Unlike with IEMs this is the first time I've inlcuded a question on sources (thanks for the suggestion @bigbeans ) so there's no data from last year to compare to. Suffice to say the Cayin N30LE came out of the gate screaming. At 50 points and 17 more than it's closest competitor I don't think any single piece of gear, not even the Bird, has ever dominated one of our polls like the N30LE has here. It's surely weaved a potent spell on just about everyone who's gotten their hands on one.

The RS8 is was the next favorite, and owning one myself I understand why.

Below that was a mix of favorites, none of which surprised me very much. I gotta say it's impressive to see the WM1Z holding up so well given how old it is. In fact all of Sony Signature stuff from years ago still seems very relevant. Having just fallen under the spell of the 1Z myself I totally get it-- that is surely a device for the ages. I don't think there will be any Android based devices that hold on to their relevance and usabilityu for that length of time.

On the topic of retaining relevance a nod surely must be given to the Lotoo Paw Gold Touch as well as the L&P stuff, all of which has been around for a while an continues to be relevant.

Bringing up the budget end of things are the AKSR35 and Hiby R6 Pro 2. I've never heard the Hiby but the AK is one of my favorite players that continues to astound me with the level of sound quality it puts out from such a small package.

Thanks again to everyone who took the time to vote.

Cayin N30le x50

Hiby RS8 x33

Ibasso DX320max x20
Astell & Kern SP3000 x20
Shanling M9plus x16
Sony WM1ZM2 x16
Sony WM1Z x14
Luxury & Precision P6Pro/Ti x13
Lotoo Paw Gold Touch x11
Luxury & Precision LP6/Ti x11

Sony DMP-Z1 x10
Cayin N8ii x9
Luxury & Precision LP6 7th Anniversary x8
Hiby R6 Pro 2 x7
Astell & Kern SR35 x6
Ibasso DX320 x5
Sony WM1AM2 x5
Lotoo Mjölnir x5
Hiby RS6 x4
Sony WM1A x4
Ibasso DX300 x3
AK SP2000 x3

Ibasso DC-Elite x2
Ibasso DX320x x2
Chord Uugo2 x2
Fiio m15s x2
Fiio m17 x2
Aune M1p x2
Sony nw-a306 x2
Lotoo Paw 6000 x2
Cayin RU7 x2
Astell & Kern SE300 x2
Brise Tsuranagi x2
Sony zx707 x2

Sony a306 x1
Acoustic Research ar-m2 x1
Oriolus DP100 x1
Dethonray DTR1plus x1
Ibasso dx240 x1
Ibasso dx260 x1
Ibasso dx300max x1
Apple iphone15promax x1
Apple ipod x1
Astell & Kern Kann Max x1
Luxury & Precision W4 x1
Fiio m15 x1
Fiio m6u x2
Chord Mojo 2 x1
Cayin n6ii x1
Lotoo Paw Gold x1
Questyle QP2R x1
Hifiman r2r2000 x1
Hiby r6iii x1
HIby r8ii x1
Cayin ru6 x1
Astell & Kern sp2000t x1
Woo Audio Tube Mini x1
No cayin N7? I'm pretty sure that's what I voted for but maybe I forgot to 😂

Dec 23, 2023 at 6:28 PM Post #74,998 of 89,811
No cayin N7? I'm pretty sure that's what I voted for but maybe I forgot to 😂

It had 12 mentions and was in my draft of the above results...not sure what happened. Perhaps it slipped off a margin or something. I will correct it thanks for bringing it up.

Dec 23, 2023 at 6:30 PM Post #74,999 of 89,811
It's 1 a.m. in Warsaw, my wife asks what are you doing, you won't get up tomorrow morning to visit your parents for Christmas Eve. After my answer that I'm waiting for 5,000 pages, she said I'm a freak. I hope to spend another 5,000. Congratulations 🎉🎉🎉🎉

LMAO this made me laugh and smile.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back