The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Dec 23, 2023 at 5:12 PM Post #74,956 of 91,345
That Dunu doesn't sound like it's up my alley unfortunately. I'm still eagerly awaiting a followup to the Zen Pro...still my favorite Dunu. I am very interested in that Goldplanar IEM...you're the third person who's put me onto that recently. I might just go blind on it. I'm always keen for another planar experience.
I think the goldplanar amt16 is worth experiencing. It's not a planar driver though, it's an Air Motion Transformer IEM :)

It has somewhat weak sub-bass, but with a good fit and the right nozzle it can be quite a coherent and exciting experience, for the excellent mids and treble alone.

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2023 at 5:13 PM Post #74,957 of 91,345
Dec 23, 2023 at 5:15 PM Post #74,958 of 91,345
Because that supports the musicians?
Or is there some other reason?
That is the most important reason, but another is that Qobuz releases are always on the bottom chart on the dynamic range point scale. And their streams sound really bad to me, which could be related to them upsampling all the music, so it's not even clear if their hi-res files are real at all.

Dec 23, 2023 at 5:18 PM Post #74,959 of 91,345
I think the goldplanar amt16 is worth experiencing. It's not a planar driver though, it's an Air Motion Transformer IEM :)

It has somewhat weak sub-bass, but with a good fit and the right nozzle it can be quite a coherent and exciting experience, for the excellent mids and treble alone.

That's the one I usually see talked about. The IEM I'm referring to that @Junmoe62 commented on is the Goldplanar GL30...which does seem to be a 30mm planar in the spirit of the LCDi4.

More info here. It seems like it's on Pre-Order. I'm definitely going to be keeping an eye on this one.

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2023 at 5:26 PM Post #74,960 of 91,345
Quick thoughts during my 2nd night with this limited tour kit

Canpur 622B pretty magical, I haven't been this in love with an IEM for a long time. There are 4 IEMs that currently haunt me, living rent free in my head, which are Storm, FitEar DC, Duality, and Dio. 622B will be joining that list, probably at the very top.

Woulda liked more bass quantity but quality wise pretty solid, very immersive but not gonna match the levels of air and heft of a DD. I don't think I've had enough time to wrap my head around exactly why I like it so much but definitely one of the most natural, life like and immersive vocal sets I've ever heard (note that I haven't heard AP). It is less forward/thick/coloured than say something like Ronin or Mentor which could contribute to someone else's idea of what natural vocals should sound like, but I hear it as extremely effortless, transparent with spine chilling levels of microdetail, yet not to the point of uncanny levels of being digital or clinical sounding. The dynamics and spatial imaging on this IEM is crazy. I could absolutely listen to this for 12 hours straight.

The only problem is I'm waiting to get my Jewel back (maybe a few days after Xmas) to AB, cuz I don't think I can justify owning both (but maybe I'm wrong). Think it'll primarily be a battle of BCD vs DD timbre, but I really have no complaints about the 622b's bass quality. Although it graphs like a Storm, it doesn't really remind me of one... a few people have drawn the comparisons but I don't hear the qualities that I specifically enjoy about the Storm, so maybe we're just listening for different things.

Fei Wan I like but can't see myself owning, I really liked the bass on it, basically how I imagined Jewel's bass would sound if it had 2 DDs and a bump in quantity. Solid mids, a little tiring in the higher frequencies for me. Great quality set for sure, but treble timbre a bit off for me and I got tired of it pretty fast (like 2 hours of forcing myself to keep them in, I was probably checked out by the first hour, just a natural reaction from my ears of both mind and body). It could also be a mental bias due to, you know, reasons. I am not ruling that out entirely but I've always said Aroma makes good sounding IEMs and I don't see why it'd be different with FW.

54E has a nice tuning but lacks the BCD that makes the 622B so special. Upon first listen to all 3 I really liked the 54E but over time came to understand what it was lacking. Not bad for 2k.

I will likely spent my remaining time 9:1 ratio between 622b and Fei Wan. Much appreciated to everyone for allowing me the opportunity to hear these, Canpur would have absolutely flew under the radar for me otherwise.
Much agreed with all your points. Same thing for CP622B, it's a nice checkpoint on the speedrun to a new generation of the highest reference point in the porta-fi hobby. Definitely ahead of the Feiwan on most fronts and not just marginally in my mind, and that's already a near endgame-tier set in objective terms. It almost made me disappointed in FW :sweat:. Would never have had the chance to hear this without @Rockwell75's tours for which I'm thankful.

Glad you were able to meet up with @MRT-Man on time before the Xmas holidays to compare gears. Merry Christmas to all :)

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Dec 23, 2023 at 5:28 PM Post #74,961 of 91,345
21 posts until 5K. Inviting folks to spam the thread for the next 1.5 pages to get there...lol

Dec 23, 2023 at 5:31 PM Post #74,962 of 91,345

I don't think that Gl-Amt 16 has weak subb-bass, I advise you to try them with Wm1z.
In fact, the Gl-Amt16 has one of the best quality sub-bass ,which perfectly fits the properties and signature of the AMT transducer

Dec 23, 2023 at 5:33 PM Post #74,963 of 91,345
endgame-tier set in objective terms.

A man wonders if such a thing really exists, or can exist.

Would never have had the chance to hear this without @Rockwell75's tours for which I'm thankful.

Cheers. In this case we must give a shoutout to Andrew and the @MusicTeck crew for making that particular tour possible.

Glad you were able to meet up with @MRT-Man on time before the Xmas holidays to compare gears. Merry Christmas to all :)

Same to you my friend.

Dec 23, 2023 at 5:36 PM Post #74,964 of 91,345
That is the most important reason, but another is that Qobuz releases are always on the bottom chart on the dynamic range point scale. And their streams sound really bad to me, which could be related to them upsampling all the music, so it's not even clear if their hi-res files are real at all.
I have found the exact opposite to be true of Qobuz….🤷🏼‍♂️

Dec 23, 2023 at 5:38 PM Post #74,965 of 91,345
That's the one I usually see talked about. The IEM I'm referring to that @Junmoe62 commented on is the Goldplanar GL30...which does seem to be a 30mm planar in the spirit of the LCDi4.

More info here. It seems like it's on Pre-Order. I'm definitely going to be keeping an eye on this one.
Didn't know about those, thanks for clearing this up :)

Dec 23, 2023 at 5:39 PM Post #74,966 of 91,345
I have found the exact opposite to be true of Qobuz….🤷🏼‍♂️
There is a site that measures the dynamic range of releases and qobuz rates very bad generally.

Dec 23, 2023 at 5:40 PM Post #74,967 of 91,345
A man wonders if such a thing really exists, or can exist.
Endgame exists... in 6 months cycles and then some new endgame comes along... tee hee.
Merry Christmas Jeff:beerchug:

(this counts as a spam post to hit the 5K)

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Dec 23, 2023 at 5:40 PM Post #74,968 of 91,345
Dec 23, 2023 at 5:40 PM Post #74,969 of 91,345
21 posts until 5K. Inviting folks to spam the thread for the next 1.5 pages to get there...lol
I don't get it, it’s just a number. But ok if it’s important to you you’ll make it easily because it’s not even evening yet for you guys. And if the goal is “by Christmas” you have all of tomorrow as well? But anyway, I guess I’ve contributed to the goal with this pointless post. :)

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2023 at 5:41 PM Post #74,970 of 91,345
image.jpg

Xe6 hitting hard today 🔊 and don’t think I can ever sell these bad boys ❤️‍🔥

Users who are viewing this thread

Back