The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Dec 23, 2023 at 7:43 PM Post #75,016 of 91,343
Okay, well wish you could hear this. In a couple weeks I will have a Subsonic added and likely the room will completely disappear. It is in transit now, already have the third monoblock.

IMG_3284.jpeg

IMG_3285.jpeg

IMG_3286.jpeg
Everytime I see your 2-ch setup I never think about Envy (because I have one 🤭), but admiration at your achievement. Such a great setup and would love to hear it too someday 😁
Next I'd like to bring folks' attention to the list of DAPs and how they placed in our survey. Unlike with IEMs this is the first time I've inlcuded a question on sources (thanks for the suggestion @bigbeans ) so there's no data from last year to compare to. Suffice to say the Cayin N30LE came out of the gate screaming. At 50 points and 17 more than it's closest competitor I don't think any single piece of gear, not even the Bird, has ever dominated one of our polls like the N30LE has here. It's surely weaved a potent spell on just about everyone who's gotten their hands on one.

The RS8 is was the next favorite, and owning one myself I understand why.

Below that was a mix of favorites, none of which surprised me very much. I gotta say it's impressive to see the WM1Z holding up so well given how old it is. In fact all of Sony Signature stuff from years ago still seems very relevant. Having just fallen under the spell of the 1Z myself I totally get it-- that is surely a device for the ages. I don't think there will be any Android based devices that hold on to their relevance and usabilityu for that length of time.

On the topic of retaining relevance a nod surely must be given to the Lotoo Paw Gold Touch as well as the L&P stuff, all of which has been around for a while an continues to be relevant.

Bringing up the budget end of things are the AKSR35 and Hiby R6 Pro 2. I've never heard the Hiby but the AK is one of my favorite players that continues to astound me with the level of sound quality it puts out from such a small package.

Thanks again to everyone who took the time to vote.

Cayin N30le x50

Hiby RS8 x33

Ibasso DX320max x20
Astell & Kern SP3000 x20
Shanling M9plus x16
Sony WM1ZM2 x16
Sony WM1Z x14
Luxury & Precision P6Pro/Ti x13
Cayin N7 x12
Lotoo Paw Gold Touch x11
Luxury & Precision LP6/Ti x11

Sony DMP-Z1 x10
Cayin N8ii x9
Luxury & Precision LP6 7th Anniversary x8
Hiby R6 Pro 2 x7
Astell & Kern SR35 x6
Ibasso DX320 x5
Sony WM1AM2 x5
Lotoo Mjölnir x5
Hiby RS6 x4
Sony WM1A x4
Ibasso DX300 x3
AK SP2000 x3

Ibasso DC-Elite x2
Ibasso DX320x x2
Chord Uugo2 x2
Fiio m15s x2
Fiio m17 x2
Aune M1p x2
Sony nw-a306 x2
Lotoo Paw 6000 x2
Cayin RU7 x2
Astell & Kern SE300 x2
Brise Tsuranagi x2
Sony zx707 x2

Sony a306 x1
Acoustic Research ar-m2 x1
Oriolus DP100 x1
Dethonray DTR1plus x1
Ibasso dx240 x1
Ibasso dx260 x1
Ibasso dx300max x1
Apple iphone15promax x1
Apple ipod x1
Astell & Kern Kann Max x1
Luxury & Precision W4 x1
Fiio m15 x1
Fiio m6u x2
Chord Mojo 2 x1
Cayin n6ii x1
Lotoo Paw Gold x1
Questyle QP2R x1
Hifiman r2r2000 x1
Hiby r6iii x1
HIby r8ii x1
Cayin ru6 x1
Astell & Kern sp2000t x1
Woo Audio Tube Mini x1
*Happy N30AP owners noise* 🥳🕺🏻🎉
Great sets.

Next post is over the line I believe.

Edit: I was one off. Happy 5K to a fantastic group of people who have made my life richer in more ways you can imagine or that could be meaningfully expressed here. So rather than risk cheapening the profound sentiments of my heart with the outward garb of speech I'll just bask in feelings of fellowship and community for the time being.
Speaking of milestones 33 more and I'll hit 60,000 likes. Imaginary internet points I know, but a milestone's a milestone.
Congrats @Rockwell75 and thank you for this great and beautiful community. I've been a member of a several forum before (all that forum is now gone sadly 🥲), but this here is my only english speaking forum I'm actively talking/typing and even though english is not my first languange, I think I'm doing well? Beside the grammar of course 🤭
It seems that everything is on track and I'm 90% sure I can go to Canjam SG next year so I can't wait to meet you and all the great person(s) I respect here 😁
Kaboom 💥 75k congrats 🥂
Congrats on the 75k post 😁🥳

Dec 23, 2023 at 7:46 PM Post #75,017 of 91,343
Slap me and call me Santa Claus because UPS surprised the F outta me today and Delivered my Bellos Audio X4 that last I saw was scheduled to be delivered on 12/26! It’s a Christmas Miracle 🎄 🎅 !!!

IMG_9330.jpeg

These sound LEGIT!!! The comfort is superb!

I am so impressed by the sound! I was going to buy Monachaa but that is no longer going to happen after hearing X4! It has the bass quality but more quantity and the mids are more upfront, timbre/tonality is close to perfect for my tastes. Darker than Monachaa’s more clear mid range with X4 being much more textured and dynamic. Treble is also nicely extended on X4 with good texture and sparkle. Soundstage is excellent and I don’t find anything lacking there. Imaging is great but the Dynamic Contrast is extremely pleasing. Very impressed with X4 right off the bat!

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2023 at 8:08 PM Post #75,021 of 91,343
Slap me and call me Santa Claus because UPS surprised the F outta me today and Delivered my Bellos Audio X4 that last I saw was scheduled to be delivered on 12/26! It’s a Christmas Miracle 🎄 🎅 !!!

IMG_9330.jpeg

These sound LEGIT!!! The comfort is superb!

I am so impressed by the sound! I was going to buy Monachaa but that is no longer going to happen after hearing X4! It has the bass quality but more quantity and the mids are more upfront, timbre/tonality is close to perfect for my tastes. Darker than Monachaa’s more clear mid range with X4 being much more textured and dynamic. Treble is also nicely extended on X4 with good texture and sparkle. Soundstage is excellent and I don’t find anything lacking there. Imaging is great but the Dynamic Contrast is extremely pleasing. Very impressed with X4 right off the bat!
Curious about their in air canal CIEM technology.

Dec 23, 2023 at 8:14 PM Post #75,022 of 91,343
Everytime I see your 2-ch setup I never think about Envy (because I have one 🤭), but admiration at your achievement. Such a great setup and would love to hear it too someday 😁
Thanks I appreciate you.
What is so great about this community is there is no jealousy or envy really, just an honest interest. If you are in the NY/NJ/PA area get a hold of me will see if we can figure out a way for you to visit.

This past year and the year before I reached luckily a stage where financial unknowns cleared up.
I also realized that I do not need a boat or a second home or anything really other then a place to be creative and inspired.

I started with a modest budget and that soon got quadrupled and with the sub now even more than quadrupled. This space I made for myself is that second home or that boat or lots of first class travel.
I know myself very well and I have to follow my passions, does it matter to anyone else do any of these things I do help anyone else urghhhh kind of selfish.

The best thing that I could do is share the system with as many of my Cooler friends as possible. It would do my heart well to have you visit, I can learn about what music you love and why and possibly add more to what inspires me everyday, music.

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2023 at 8:25 PM Post #75,023 of 91,343
Thanks I appreciate it.
What is so great about this community is there is no jealousy or envy really, just an honest interest. If you are in the NY/NJ/PA area get a hold of me will see if we can figure out a way for you to visit.

This past year and the year before I reached luckily a stage where financial unknowns cleared up.
I also realized that I do not need a boat or a second home or anything really other then a place to be creative and inspired.

I started with a modest budget and that soon got quadrupled and with the sub now even more than quadrupled. This space I made for myself is that second home or that boat or lots of first class travel.
I know myself very well and I have to follow my passions, does it matter to anyone else do any of these things I do help anyone else urghhhh kind of selfish.

The best thing that I could do is share the system with as many of my Cooler friends as possible. It would do my heart well to have you visit, I can learn about what music you love and why and possibly add to what inspires me everyday, music.
No I don't consider it as selfishness. I think it's more appropiate to say it's your way to appreciate all your hard work, because we can't always depend on someone else to do that aren't we :ksc75smile:
Work hard, enjoy life harder. Hell yeah babyyy :L3000:

Dec 23, 2023 at 8:29 PM Post #75,024 of 91,343
I started with a modest budget and that soon got quadrupled
I feel partly responsible for this 😂. But the price for inspiration is priceless... Just as the fruits of your new inspiration.

Dec 23, 2023 at 8:31 PM Post #75,025 of 91,343
Ok, this has been a point of contention between us for a while, it's time to settle it.

The In In Out fries are unique as they are literally fried potato. Think of it as the 'hot' equivalent of potato chips, and In In Out fries are designed to be ordered 'well done'. Anything else is a travesty. If you want the classic 'fries', yeah Five Guys is much better.

The burger is simple, no frills, no gimmicks. Toppings such as onion, lettuce and tomato are superior to Five Guys. The brilliance of such an insultingly simple combination begins at the first bite.

When you step into an In In Out, it's a time capsule. A simple menu with a handful of menu options. No gimmicks like hot dogs, grilled mushrooms, or bacon milkshakes. In In Out is where you grew up as a kid. Where you played hooky during 6th period with your friends. A place where you could have respectable dates in college when on a budget. As you're waiting for your food, you're seeing these memories being created. From families to love struck couples. Kids playing with the sticker sets, the toddlers donning the paper hats. Folks from the modest to wealthy and any ethnicity, all dining on these simple pleasures and common values. In In Out is a slice of America from the past, a place that my parents as immigrants envisioned what such times were, what could be...but what increasingly isn't today. Fast food chains will come and go, but what In In Out captures is culture. A culture of equality, opportunity and accessibility. Give me your tired, give me your poor and In In Out will have something for them. It may not be the absolute best, but it's honest, accessible, enduring and uncompromising. This is In In Out. This is Americ
Oh forget that crap, I'm on vacation 😂 . The only lifting I plan to do is curling food into my mouth.
Or fiddle with volume knobs. 🎛️

Dec 23, 2023 at 8:53 PM Post #75,026 of 91,343
All the talk about the Tera Player… has me charging it up. The battery life of this little wonder is excellent. Not sure if it uses a more accessible charging connection now. The original ones used the mini USB connector. :)

IMG_1540.jpeg
IMG_1538.jpeg

Dec 23, 2023 at 8:55 PM Post #75,027 of 91,343
All the talk about the Tera Player… has me charging it up. The battery life of this little wonder is excellent. Not sure if it uses a more accessible charging connection now. The original ones used the mini USB connector. :)

IMG_1540.jpegIMG_1538.jpeg

So how does it hold up sonically? Is the juice worth the squeeze when it comes to cost and comparative lack of functionality?

Dec 23, 2023 at 8:55 PM Post #75,028 of 91,343

Bass solo at 13:45 is sublime!

Dec 23, 2023 at 9:07 PM Post #75,029 of 91,343
So how does it hold up sonically? Is the juice worth the squeeze when it comes to cost and comparative lack of functionality?
I actually picked it up soon after the first batch and so it was a few hundred dollars back in the day. I love it when I was on the road because it was like an iPod shuffle playing WAV files. And the sound quality is excellent. Very organic. It uses probably the last of the Philips R2R DAC chips produced. It did bring back memories of how their CD players sounded like. :)

Of course, because of the impedance, it sounds terrible with BA IEMs but is excellent with DDs and hybrids.

Yes, the lack of any meaningful UI will drive lotsa folks crazy. :wink: But I just have a 256GB SD card with the music that really matter to me. The battery life is also really good.

Dec 23, 2023 at 9:10 PM Post #75,030 of 91,343
I actually picked it up soon after the first batch and so it was a few hundred dollars back in the day. I love it when I was on the road because it was like an iPod shuffle playing WAV files. And the sound quality is excellent. Very organic. It uses probably the last of the Philips R2R DAC chips produced. It did bring back memories of how their CD players sounded like. :)

Of course, because of the impedance, it sounds terrible with BA IEMs but is excellent with DDs and hybrids.

Yes, the lack of any meaningful UI will drive lotsa folks crazy. :wink: But I just have a 256GB SD card with the music that really matter to me. The battery life is also really good.

I’ve heard that about DDs and that player. I’d be quite interested in hearing it given I listen almost exclusively to local files through IEMs with DDs in them. Price is too steep for a niche device like that for me though unfortunately.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back